The Student Room Group

Any PGDE applicants heard back?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by kgoddess87
yayyy! got an interview for Edinburgh uni on 28th january :smile: so excited, good luck to everyone else! xx

hey thats brilliant news. just prepare well and nail that interview :wink:
Reply 41
congratulations goddess!

Aye, I am from Scotland. Standard grades = GCSE, Highers = A Level, though in both cases the English versions are slightly better, as far as I know!
Reply 42
Interview for primary at Jordanhill in January happy days what a nice Christmas present :biggrin:
Reply 43
cheers retro, am from n.ireland. jus such a different in the curriculum for home ec between northern ireland and scotland. like theres no textiles taught here, its jus food and nutrition n cookery. b sirta weird teaching textiles but excited at a challenge hehe. Congratulations to everyone that got an interview. For us secondary ones, itl b well worth the wait too am sure! :smile:
Reply 44
**difference
Original post by jonni123
hey beautiful anger, what pgde u applying for? i think the interviews n all depend on the subject. like im applying for home economics and the lecturer said that the interviews for this particular subject begin on mid-january. i only put my application in last week cuz i know how slow scotland can be with applications, so didnt see the point off stressing out bk then. the only thing is to remain patient and wait. i also think that most should hear by the end of january. , not sure about me since my app was put in last week.

in terms of experience, how are you geared up there? do you know how many places each pgde course would be? jus trying to guess to give myself reassurance as 15 have already applied for home ec. according to the lecturer....:confused:

Hey Jonni! I'm applying for secondary in Computing and I think they pretty much starting most interview round then so fingers crossed! I'm not sure what I'm gonna do my presentation on if its the same as the maths interviews as last yr my boyfriend had to.

Experience I have had two weeks in a secondary school, some tutoring and im currently doing some shadowing at a local after school adult learning program :smile: I also have little bits and bobs doing things like teaching younger kids judo and I'm currently working for an apprenticeship provider full time as there VLE admin so I make the lessons, training and stuff for that. so I'm hoping I have enough as I think theres around 25 places for mine I aint sure but its not as competitive as english or history for example. Scottish unis are very competitive compared to the english ones. I'm english myself but I don't want an English PGCE.
Reply 46
well, against the odds I have managed to get an interview with Strathclyde on Jan 19th! Completely taken aback, and rather surprised at how soon the interview is. Have to do a five minute presentation to everyone on "Why teach History?" which should be interesting.
Still nothing here kinda starting to worry and a little frustrated as my second choice is Glasgow and has sent theres out over a month ago and now is full.
Reply 48
Original post by beautifulanger
Still nothing here kinda starting to worry and a little frustrated as my second choice is Glasgow and has sent theres out over a month ago and now is full.

As far as I am aware, your application is only sent to your second choice if you don't get into your first choice course.

Glasgow will be finishing their interviews the middle of next week and sending out offers after that. That's what we were told at my Glasgow interview on 6th January. If you are concerned, I think it would be worth giving GTTR a call or contacting your first choice Uni directly.

x
Original post by live4ska
As far as I am aware, your application is only sent to your second choice if you don't get into your first choice course.

Glasgow will be finishing their interviews the middle of next week and sending out offers after that. That's what we were told at my Glasgow interview on 6th January. If you are concerned, I think it would be worth giving GTTR a call or contacting your first choice Uni directly.

x

Thanks live4ska :smile: I phoned Strath last friday and apparently the guy involved in making the decisions is taking his sweet time at the moment but apparently if I phone today some point might have an answer for me! scary! I would just be so bummed if they say I aint got an interview this late in the year, though I'm hoping no news is good news!

I figured Glasgow would of filled up fast though. Good luck when you find out! I'm sure you have done great!!
Reply 50
Hi there!

Is it too late to apply for Jordanhill? I see on the GTTR website that there are still vacancies to do a PGDE in English - but I'm worried they are going to be taken in the next few days - sending my completed application tomorrow.

Does anyone know when the places are likely to be filled up? Or when they filled up last year?

I'm really stressing about this :frown:

Thank you!
WOOP!!!!!
Finally got my offer for PGDE Chem at Glasgow.Took them long enough but thankfully the wait is over.
Reply 52
I had an interview at Strathclyde for secondary PGDE in early december...I contacted the admissions person for my course directly which sped up the process. They tell you at the interview when you will hear back through GTTR
Reply 53
What is the difference between the PGDE and PGCE then ?

I'm Scottish but based in England. Have applied for PCET PGCE at English unis as I only fancy working in FE, and only Stirling north of the border does such a degree.

I wouldnt like to rule out ever working back in Scotland.
Reply 54
Original post by Daniel1987
What is the difference between the PGDE and PGCE then ?

I'm Scottish but based in England. Have applied for PCET PGCE at English unis as I only fancy working in FE, and only Stirling north of the border does such a degree.

I wouldnt like to rule out ever working back in Scotland.

I believe the difference is that a PGCE is a certificate of education and the PGDE is a diploma of education. I asked the same question another thread!

I'm English but based in Scotland and have been told that I am best to stay up here to study as English schools will accept Scottish qualifications but not all Scottish schools will accept English qualifications - I think it is something to do with the Scottish curriculum being more complicated (but don't quote me on that!)

There is some kind of qualification you can get to convert it for Scottish schools though apparently but I am not too sure what you have to do....but again not 100% sure if that applies to FE?

Sorry thats very vague! Good luck with everything!
Reply 55
Original post by Sophia_J
I believe the difference is that a PGCE is a certificate of education and the PGDE is a diploma of education. I asked the same question another thread!

I'm English but based in Scotland and have been told that I am best to stay up here to study as English schools will accept Scottish qualifications but not all Scottish schools will accept English qualifications - I think it is something to do with the Scottish curriculum being more complicated (but don't quote me on that!)

There is some kind of qualification you can get to convert it for Scottish schools though apparently but I am not too sure what you have to do....but again not 100% sure if that applies to FE?

Sorry thats very vague! Good luck with everything!

Thanks...though i'm still a bit "WTF" when someone says "ah well ones a certificate, ones a diploma"....I mean, And? I get that bit...but still...what is the difference?

Its the same bloody country. Seems absurd that you have to fret about whether you study north or south of the border.

Quick Reply

Latest