The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

My ex has OCD albeit to a very low degree. Almost negligible and it didn't affect her much. She used to take some medication, though.

Just popping by to say hi :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ViceVersa
I get the same feelings don't worry, it's weird feeling guilty and useless at the same time :tongue:

That sometimes happens with me too and I end up misunderstood :puppyeyes:

Hmm I might have to do that win-win thing you've got there :holmes:

:five:

...and it sucks. :tongue:

High-fives for the misunderstoodness :five:

I want a full-length mirror, but can't afford one. So I've just got to hope that what I'm wearing works, as I can only see my face in that one :tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by Mystic Creature
I think I have quite mild OCD, but one thing I have to do is when I'm on the computer, I have to move the cursor with the mouse to each corner of the screen, and I keep on doing that until it feels 'right'.

Also, if I scratch or even touch something on one side, I have to do the same on the other side. Even if I touch the table with one finger, odds are I will feel obliged to touch the table with the same finger on my other hand - just so everything feels equal.

Then there's the volume button - HAS to be a multiple of 5. Really pisses me off when it's on 47 or something..

Oh, and I tend to overthink things as well - I focus on very minor things a bit too much..like if don't understand something I learn, I spend numerous hours trying to intellectually understand what I've just read :s-smilie: for example, at the moment, I'm trying to get my head around relative atomic mass in chemistry - I just look into it too much - more than I need to...
Woah - I actually feel retarded atm :s-smilie:

That does sound like something I'll do, like I keep doing it until it 'feels right'

I think from the sounds of it you probably have mild OCD tbh. Have you tried talking to anyone/your GP about it?

Do you sometimes feel these things slow you down or make you anxious, and if you don't do something it keeps bothering you and you can't properly concentrate?

Don't feel retarded, you can feel comfortable and welcome here. Share your thoughts :smile:

Original post by lizzxo
I have a thing about light switches, in my house there are a set of light switches that always have to be aligned. I have a bath in a very specific order, get dressed in a specific order, and i make my tea in a specific way. I watched my mum make tea for me yesterday and she put the water in before the sugar so i had to pour it out and start again :frown: my folders for school have to be arranged in a certain way, and the pens i use for writing, underlining, drawing diagrams etc are all a certain colour. if things aren't done properly i feel itchy all over :s-smilie:

I don't know if it's really an OCD though. :')

I'm very specific too yep :yep: can get pretty annoying haha :erm:

I'm the same with school work. Also, I have a pencil case that has 'sections' for everything so they don't touch/ have their own space. I have another pensil case for everything that didn't 'feel right' in the first one. Sounds like OCD to me, speak to a GP if you can? Definitely use this thread to talk about your every day battles.

Hmm, I've never really had itching, though I've heard some people have. I have had crazy moments where I get so frustrated I have to move away from everything and breathe, or sort it all out and breathe. When does the itching tend to stop btw?
Reply 43
Original post by cpdavis

Original post by cpdavis
Let's just say stains happened. grrrrrrr

It's okay, we all have those sometimes :hugs:
Reply 44
Original post by Victor-PP
My ex has OCD albeit to a very low degree. Almost negligible and it didn't affect her much. She used to take some medication, though.

Just popping by to say hi :biggrin:

Hello :hi:

Original post by Contrad!ction.
...and it sucks. :tongue:

High-fives for the misunderstoodness :five:

I want a full-length mirror, but can't afford one. So I've just got to hope that what I'm wearing works, as I can only see my face in that one :tongue:

:five: :smile:

Haha do you have mirrors at sixth form? I tend to go there before lessons to check up on how I look :tongue:
Reply 45

Ahh it's not your fault. Not understanding does that :yep: glad you're making more sense of it now :yy: you sound like a good partner to him :smile: and haha I love that phrase, might start using it :wink:

Thanks :cute: think there's still lots to learn, but starting to get there :o: have actually learnt a bit already from reading this thread

And the phrase is brilliant :awesome: works in all sorts of situations :giggle:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by skipp

Original post by skipp
Thanks :cute: think there's still lots to learn, but starting to get there :o:

And the phrase is brilliant :awesome: works in all sorts of situations :giggle:

Good to hear. :yep:

It does seem to work in all sorts of situations :teehee:
Haha do you have mirrors at sixth form? I tend to go there before lessons to check up on how I look :tongue:

Yeah, I do the same :tongue:

EDIT: is there a society?
Reply 48

Yeah, I do the same :tongue:

EDIT: is there a society?

Hehe my twin :awesome:

Nope, but if enough people post here, and we have regular posters, it can be turned into one. Tbh bit strange we didn't have a mega thread or society! Glad I got brave enough to start this though :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Ahh okay I kinda do, and yeah I understand. Hope it gets better soon though! :hugs:

thanks, you too :h:
Hehe my twin :awesome:

Nope, but if enough people post here, ad we have regular posters, it can be turned into one. Tbh bit strange we didn't have a mega thread or society! Glad I got brave enough to start this though :h:

Woo, twins! (I've also noticed you a lot in the DepSoc but half of the time I'm too wimpy about posting there because I'm crap at advice and it's not fair if I post loads of crap without helping :tongue:)

Ah coolio. I'm glad too, very brave :biggrin:
Reply 51

I'm very specific too yep :yep: can get pretty annoying haha :erm:

I'm the same with school work. Also, I have a pencil case that has 'sections' for everything so they don't touch/ have their own space. I have another pensil case for everything that didn't 'feel right' in the first one. Sounds like OCD to me, speak to a GP if you can? Definitely use this thread to talk about your every day battles.

Hmm, I've never really had itching, though I've heard some people have. I have had crazy moments where I get so frustrated I have to move away from everything and breathe, or sort it all out and breathe. When does the itching tend to stop btw?

The itching stops once whatever wasn't right has been fixed, or if i move away from it. It's weird lol, like i have worms or something crawling all over me D;
Reply 52
Original post by This Honest
thanks, you too :h:

Original post by lizzxo
The itching stops once whatever wasn't right has been fixed, or if i move away from it. It's weird lol, like i have worms or something crawling all over me D;

Ahh. Definitely talk to your GP if you can, might be OCD :yep:

Woo, twins! (I've also noticed you a lot in the DepSoc but half of the time I'm too wimpy about posting there because I'm crap at advice and it's not fair if I post loads of crap without helping :tongue:)

Ah coolio. I'm glad too, very brave :biggrin:

Ahh good then you can help and post a bit more in this thread :smile:

Fancy keeping this Anon? I know a couple people on here I'd rather not know this was
Me.

From about 8-12 it was the worse, I used to have a little phrase I'd repeat constantly
'123 over, 123 over,123 over,no now it's over" id have to do that whole phrase 3 or 9 times, and if whilst saying it anything was 'unsymetritical' (my left foot itched, or my right arm rose slightly or a finger twitched and the other didn't I'd have to repeat it)

It's hell of a lot better now, I hardly notice it and no one else knows, all I do now is rehearse what I say to the hair dresser a lot, for about a week before I get my haircut I'll just rehearse my exact wording and inflections when ever I have a spare couple of minutes. Or Sometimes if I have a storey or anecdote to tell a friend I'll mutter it to my self repeatedly, did this for about 15 minutes whilst in the cinema watching girl with a dragon tattoo yesterday :L

Really doesn't affect me in any noticeable way these data though.
Reply 54
I kinda think I have it :erm:
Ahh good then you can help and post a bit more in this thread :smile:

Hopefully :tongue:

It's awesome that you've posted this, really :biggrin:
Reply 56
Original post by Smoosh
I kinda think I have it :erm:

Then you're in the right place :hugs:

and why so?
Hopefully :tongue:

It's awesome that you've posted this, really :biggrin:

Yay awesome :ahee:

and wow thanks :lovehug:

OOH! Also, if I see that one of my nails is getting long, I'll have to bite it to the right length and then I have to deal with all of the others. Bad habit, I know.

:jumphug:
Reply 58

OOH! Also, if I see that one of my nails is getting long, I'll have to bite it to the right length and then I have to deal with all of the others. Bad habit, I know.

:jumphug:

Ahh I get that. If I am painting my nails, and I accidently mess one up and fix it, I have to take them ALL off and start again. Takes a while to paint my nails really..
Reply 59
Then you're in the right place :hugs:

and why so?

Ever since I was little I've been very repetitive and compulsive with my behaviour, but it's kind of expanding the older I get. I do it with a lot of things, but the main one that stands out to me is I absolutely have to touch everything equally and with both hands...sounds so weird writing it down :redface: when I was little I'd only do it occasionally. but now I find myself doing it with most things. E.g. when I'm sleeping at night if one of my feet is touching the other, I'll sort of keep touching them together a certain amount of times until I feel it feels right, or if I have an itch then I'll have to touch the same part with the opposite hand and keep doing it, again, until it feels "right". I can't fight the need to do it even if the thing will hurt me e.g. it's hot or something.

I'm always checking everything over and over until I'm satisfied with the way it is, mostly when I see something written down, I like to keep going back and checking that it's exactly how I thought it was...I can't stand the thought that it might not be exact :redface:

Those are the type of ones that stand out the most to me, if I looked into my daily activities I think I'd probably show more behaviours than I realise. I'm a complete perfectionist by nature, so that probably doesn't help!

Quick Reply