The Student Room Group

Writing Uni notes in fountain pen?

(Not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this so please move if necessary)

Hello, this is my first ever thread so hope its ok :smile:

I've recently bought my first fountain pen and quite enjoy using it. I'm considering writing my lecture notes for the next semester with it yet don't know whether this is a good idea or not as my ink is water-soluble. I know you do get some water-resistent inks but I don't really want to buy another bottle without testing. :colondollar:
Also I don't know how practical an idea this is.

Does anyone else use a fountain pen and not consider the ink a problem? Do you take extra precautions to make sure notes stay away from water? What brand of ink is best?

Thanks. I'm a bit clueless on fountain pens having never used one at school :colondollar::

Scroll to see replies

I don't take any extra precautions... I generally try and keep my notes away from water! In that sense, I don't consider it a problem.

I always use a ballpoint in exams though.
I personally take my laptop in because I can't get everything down fast enough. But I suppose if I needed to write some notes up at home it would be nice to use a fountain pen :smile: It depends on your subject really.
Reply 3
Use a BIC or type them up ..
Reply 4
Use a fountain pen always, never been concerned about water-soluble ink - try not to get my notes wet in the first place!! To all the people getting very angry about it, fountain pens do have several advantages, such as being smoother and faster for some writing styles. I can write 50% more words per minute using a fountain pen than a ballpoint, and you also need to put less pressure on the pen, hurting your hand less...
I always took longer to write in fountain pen than other pen. And I like to scribble my uni notes out quickly. When I get an idea I like to write as fast as my brain thinks it, and my brain thinks too fast lol.

Also, aren't biros easier to get hold of than ink?
Reply 6
I write my notes up neat after lectures so I would probably just use the fountain pen for that if I was going to use one as I find I write slower with them
Reply 7
i use a fountain pen sometimes,as mine are slightly thicker to hold (cant hold those thin bic biros as i have bad joints so it hurts to write with them), plus i have a nice batman fountain pen so love using that one :smile:

i dont really care about if its water soluble or not, dont think i ever check what type of ink it is other than what colour it is tbh, i just generally try to keep notes away from water. the only reason i dont use it all the time is because it shows through the other side of the paper sometimes so makes notes awkward to read if that happens.
Reply 8
I've never had any problems with my fountain pen. Well apart from when it must have broke slightly and I started get ink all over my hand but still. I find it quicker to write with fountain pen, it looks nicer and I like using one. I just have to make sure it wont go through the paper. But if I'm doing practical work I write in biro and in exams I tend to write in biro (well I did at school as you had to use black ink).
Reply 9
Original post by Hogwartz
Wow, upper-class or what.

:/

Jumping to conclusions, much?

My secondary school had a rule that we had to always use fountain pens in lessons. So people became used to using them and still use them. They're definitely not 'upper class', though some are middle class and a lot are working class.
I use them - we weren't allowed to use anything else in school and it's what I'm used to. Biros are OK for messy lab work but I find fountain pens flow much more easily. I can write with them for longer without my fingers killing as well!
Reply 11
Original post by Tpos
:/

Jumping to conclusions, much?

My secondary school had a rule that we had to always use fountain pens in lessons. So people became used to using them and still use them. They're definitely not 'upper class', though some are middle class and a lot are working class.

Your school is slightly absurd then, for them to assume that you would spend over a fiver on a pen is beyond me:lolwut:

Our pens cost 10p :emo:

Red Biro's FTW
I always use a fountain pen as when i use any other pen my handwriting looks awful. I've never had a problem with later, can't say i've ever even thought about it because why would be notes be near water? I write them in lectures then but them in folder for whatever module in polly pockets when i get home:smile:
Reply 13
Pfft, all these people who make notes.

KEEN.

:colonhash:
Reply 14
i do say, fountain pens are delightful. I love the smooth writing and the obvious upper class feel one gets from using one.

Seriously use a ball point. Papermate pens are your friend.
Reply 15
Original post by gozatron
Pfft, all these people who make notes.

KEEN.

:colonhash:

As a fellow medic, how many bloody keen people are there in your year. In glasgow there are people who study on the day term ended. SERIOUSLY WTF ?
Reply 16
I used to use fountain pens when I was at school since the age of 7!! They are nice to write with but they tend to be quite a hassle if they leak or you spill water on them. Also they can explode if shaken too much (flick the ink with the nib) haha and you have to keep replacing the ink cartriges every so often. It's up to you, I probably would but I'm too lazy and opt for a ball point pen!
Original post by Hogwartz
Wow, upper-class or what.

Lolwut. Not necessarily. You can get a decent one for £10-12. I find they're better than biros for exams, as they're quicker to write with and require less pressure, so your hand doesn't tire as quickly. This is a benefit for lectures too, but it's more crucial in exams.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Vinchenko
Use a fountain pen always, never been concerned about water-soluble ink - try not to get my notes wet in the first place!! To all the people getting very angry about it, fountain pens do have several advantages, such as being smoother and faster for some writing styles. I can write 50% more words per minute using a fountain pen than a ballpoint, and you also need to put less pressure on the pen, hurting your hand less...

And it makes (at least my) hand writing look neater.
Reply 19
Original post by TurboCretin
Lolwut. Not necessarily. They're smoother and quicker to write with, cost about £10-12 for a good one, and you can tell when they're about to run out by looking at the cartridge, meaning that you don't unexpectedly run out of ink halfway through a lecture/exam.

I think they're good, anyway.

A whole tenner! :eek:
I could buy a dress with that.

Of course anything expensive is good. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply