The Student Room Group

Access to HE 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Hevinha
Thanks for all your help. I'm not so worried about the English test as I'm pretty good at English, it's the maths one I'm worried about, I don't think it's my strong point at all, especially the arithmetic side lol.. I dont even remember how to use a scientific calculator either lol.. :colondollar:

I am 23 but will be 24 by the time I start the course, I don't have 5 GCSE at grade C or above, I only have 3 GCSE grades C and above.

In my college you wouldn't have to pay tuition fees! :smile:I guess it's the same in your college, but I'm not sure.

About the test, perhaps you could revise a bit. The test will be graded from level 1 to 3, without any revising I got level 1... :confused: It was ok, the teacher said I was "where they wanted me to be" but I could have a much better grade if I had studied a bit. In the english test, I got a level 3 without revising. :biggrin:

You'll be fine!!! :wink:

What do you want to do in Uni and from which part of Uk are you?

P.S- there's a 155£ fee that all the students have to pay, even those that don't pay tuition fees. At least in my College.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
The five GCSEs at grade C or above doesn't matter at all unis, even many of the good unis do not require it, but what is important is that you have a grade A*-C in English Language and Mathematics, not having them will put you at a disadvantage as the Level 2 "equivalents" are nowhere near as hard as GCSEs and most unis will demand you have them.
Reply 42
Original post by Threxy
The five GCSEs at grade C or above doesn't matter at all unis, even many of the good unis do not require it, but what is important is that you have a grade A*-C in English Language and Mathematics, not having them will put you at a disadvantage as the Level 2 "equivalents" are nowhere near as hard as GCSEs and most unis will demand you have them.

I only asked OP if she had 5 GCSE in order to understand whether she would have to pay tuition fees... OP is going to do an Access to HE course...

Have you read the opening thread?! :cool:
Original post by Karm
I am currently studying on an Access course and can't reccomend it enough. Just think, this time next year you will be receiving University offers!

I have to agree with Karm,I am also currently doing a Access course in Health and so far found it very interesting as well as enjoyable however it is a lot of hardwork but i guess you only get out of it what u put in.Best of luck to u all starting it Next year :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by jmfc
I only asked OP if she had 5 GCSE in order to understand whether she would have to pay tuition fees... OP is going to do an Access to HE course...

Have you read the opening thread?! :cool:

GCSEs don't affect funding for an Access course since they're L2, right?
Reply 45
Original post by Threxy
GCSEs don't affect funding for an Access course since they're L2, right?

According to my college, wrong. :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by wizardtop
I have to agree with Karm,I am also currently doing a Access course in Health and so far found it very interesting as well as enjoyable however it is a lot of hardwork but i guess you only get out of it what u put in.Best of luck to u all starting it Next year :smile:

Hello, my helpful friend! :tongue:

What about Christmas? I hopr you had a good time! :wink:
Original post by jmfc
Hello, my helpful friend! :tongue:

What about Christmas? I hopr you had a good time! :wink:

It was quiet which is the way i do like it to be jmfc still doing assignments lol as both are due in the first few weeks when we get back,but hope your xmas was good too
Reply 48
Original post by wizardtop

It was quiet which is the way i do like it to be jmfc still doing assignments lol as both are due in the first few weeks when we get back,but hope your xmas was good too

Mine was good, too. Thanks. :smile:

No assignments, though. :tongue:

Next year this time I'll know what that means! :wink:
Original post by jmfc
Mine was good, too. Thanks. :smile:

No assignments, though. :tongue:

Next year this time I'll know what that means! :wink:

lucky u jmfc no assignments.I dont mind doing assignments as it gets you better prepared for universiry hehe :biggrin:
Reply 50
Original post by jmfc
In my college you wouldn't have to pay tuition fees! :smile:I guess it's the same in your college, but I'm not sure.

About the test, perhaps you could revise a bit. The test will be graded from level 1 to 3, without any revising I got level 1... :confused: It was ok, the teacher said I was "where they wanted me to be" but I could have a much better grade if I had studied a bit. In the english test, I got a level 3 without revising. :biggrin:

You'll be fine!!! :wink:

What do you want to do in Uni and from which part of Uk are you?

P.S- there's a 155£ fee that all the students have to pay, even those that don't pay tuition fees. At least in my College.

Oh ok, maybe I'll do a little revising before going. I'm from east anglia and hoping to either pursue nursing or midwifery :smile:. Thanks for all your help.
Original post by Hevinha
Oh ok, maybe I'll do a little revising before going. I'm from east anglia and hoping to either pursue nursing or midwifery :smile:. Thanks for all your help.

I would suggest you look at that BBC Bitsize GCSE website Hevinha all the tests i taken have been aimed at GCSE level or Level 2(GCSE equivalent)They ask you a mixture of different questions like additions,subtractions, etc those kind of questions for the maths elemant and for english it was mainly structuring sentences and spot spelling mistakes etc.Hope this helps you ^_^
(edited 12 years ago)
Helloo I've applied for an access course for september and I'll be 18 when I start,so I hope they accept me. The reasoning is that I am currently doing English Literature,Religious Studies and Drama.All not linked to nursing.So Im hoping to do a health and socialcare access course and going to uni in 2013,hope it all works out well for you!
X
Reply 53
Hey guys, I haven't been on TSR in weeks, I've kind of stopped thinking of my education etc. since I'm going through a tough time, well a mate is really, and that's kind of zapped all my energy/attention/time.

I've got an interview with an Access provider on the 13th and some tests as well, still waiting to hear back from some Birmingham colleges who will "be in touch soon" which I'm unsure if I can afford to travel to 3,4,5 times a week, I know pushing your education back is bad but I really am beginning to wonder if I'm ready. Eh.

Oh and I've applied to the college I flunked the tests in again, gonna wait and see what they do/say..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by TessaHarker
Helloo I've applied for an access course for september and I'll be 18 when I start,so I hope they accept me. The reasoning is that I am currently doing English Literature,Religious Studies and Drama.All not linked to nursing.So Im hoping to do a health and socialcare access course and going to uni in 2013,hope it all works out well for you!
X

Hi there! I am not sure if they will accept you. I guess this course is for people over 19 only (at least in my college). But I think you've done the right thing which is applying anyway! :wink:

Original post by Threxy
Hey guys, I haven't been on TSR in weeks, I've kind of stopped thinking of my education etc. since I'm going through a tough time, well a mate is really, and that's kind of zapped all my energy/attention/time.

I've got an interview with an Access provider on the 13th and some tests as well, still waiting to hear back from some Birmingham colleges who will "be in touch soon" which I'm unsure if I can afford to travel to 3,4,5 times a week, I know pushing your education back is bad but I really am beginning to wonder if I'm ready. Eh.

Oh and I've applied to the college I flunked the tests in again, gonna wait and see what they do/say..

Hi.

I've heard that the finance will change. If you qualify for help with fees (and are entitled to pay only the concession) you should check that out. However, I'd say yes you need to be prepared but then again the course will only start in september and you really have nothing to lose. I'd say try to understand what u really want and if you really want to study again, JUST DO IT. :wink:
Reply 55
Original post by jmfc
According to my college, wrong. :smile:

Wait so if you have some GCSES, you can't do access/ you have to pay for it?
I only have 2 GCSES.

& what happens if you fail their maths test, you don't get in?

Ugh.
Reply 56
:wink:
Original post by replica
Wait so if you have some GCSES, you can't do access/ you have to pay for it?
I only have 2 GCSES.

& what happens if you fail their maths test, you don't get in?

Ugh.

If you have only 2 GCSEs you're enttitled to the help with the fees which means u pay only the concession (this ranges from 100 to 170 dependent on college).

Some colleges allow u to do the maths test again a few weeks later but don't worry too much. I hadn't maths in years and I passed so everyone can pass!:wink:

But I was told the gov will stop paying access fees... So perhaps you should check that out and hurry, I wouldn't wait until next year if that meant I'd have to pay almost 2000 pounds in tuition fees for the access only.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Threxy
I saw a similar thread last year for this and there isn't one for this year so I figured I should start one. A thread for those applying to take an Access course next year, I know it's on the 'Mature Students' section but it's really for anybody regardless of their age planning/hoping to take the course next year, but I put it here anyway.

I put in an application a couple of weeks ago and already today got a letter today inviting me in for a Literacy + Numeracy test. I've heard it's a piece of pee, but I'm rather nervous for some reason lol. :s-smilie:

So, anyone else out there applied yet? And what you doing this year?

Congratulations on deciding to go back to HE.

One tip I have is as follows. In the 2012 thread a lot of applicants have been succesful in obtaining offers, but many have been. lets say, surprised by the grades they have been asked to achieve. So I suggest you take a prelimary view on which courses at which HE institutions you wish to apply for and check their typical offers. Some University web sites even state how they map Access results to their standard A level offers.

One Uni's web site equates AAA and AAB to 45 L3 credits of which 30 must be at distinction and 15 at merit, for ABB and BBB they map to 45 L3 with 15 at distinction and 30 at merit. It is best that you know what you are aiming at from the start rather than get a surprise sometime between November 2012 and March 2013, when it might be too late to adjust. These mappings are like the standard A level offers in that you should consider them an average of the modal variety, actual offers may be higher if competition is high one year, but elements of your life experience, career and or previous studies may result in offers below the standard offer.

The very best of luck with your studies and subsequent applications.
Reply 58
Original post by jmfc
:wink:

If you have only 2 GCSEs you're enttitled to the help with the fees which means u pay only the concession (this ranges from 100 to 170 dependent on college).

Some colleges allow u to do the maths test again a few weeks later but don't worry too much. I hadn't maths in years and I passed so everyone can pass!:wink:

But I was told the gov will stop paying access fees... So perhaps you should check that out and hurry, I wouldn't wait until next year if that meant I'd have to pay almost 2000 pounds in tuition fees for the access only.

Iunno about that! my brain exits my head the minute I see numbers.
& ew really? where did you hear about this? would just be my luck though if it happens.

Rather worried about it all as I have been in college courses in the past but never got any qualifications as I dropped out due to health, will this be held against me also? :frown:

I don't know how I'd ever afford those fees, only income I have is jsa which I thought also meant you could get help?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by replica
Iunno about that! my brain exits my head the minute I see numbers.
& ew really? where did you hear about this? would just be my luck though if it happens.

Rather worried about it all as I have been in college courses in the past but never got any qualifications as I dropped out due to health, will this be held against me also? :frown:

I don't know how I'd ever afford those fees, only income I have is jsa which I thought also meant you could get help?

heard a tutor saying. They expect u to commit to the course but they won't exclude u because you were ill in the past. If u have a cronic condition I don't think they'll exclude you but you REALLY must show you're committed. The rule is "you can't afford to miss classes!" :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest