The Student Room Group

11th January 2012 - 6BIO1 - edexcel biology unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by moizedexcel
AND yes !!!! please someone tell me ethical issues social issues etc of genetic screening !!! its so difficult i just know that "who has the right to perform these test" !!! i read it form a mark scheme !! i mean WAA ? what does it mean

Issues can be something like this
- the cost of treatment is quite high for IVF & we not even sure if it is going to be successful
- false negatives which basically means while doing the tests, it is quite possible for the reports to be exchanged with someone elses reports..thus the information the patient gets is false.
- amniocentesis & chorionic villus sampling... there is a likelihood of a miscarriage even if the baby was healthy
- it may be emotional & traumatic for the parents if they have to terminate the pregnancy.
- sometimes while these tests are being done.. some of the parents do the tests with the aim of knowing the sex of the baby.. so if it is the undesired sex they would want to abort the baby which is very wrong as the fetus has the right to live. Even most of the times, the baby would just be aborted even without any genetic faults in it
- abortion is against most religions.
- some times society plays a major role as well.. say if the baby is recessive to a certain disease then according to the society it wont be a "perfect & healthy" baby

hope this helps :smile:
Original post by aqua05
Hiii there :smile:
Dont panic ! im a retaker of this unit.. I know how it feels as well..
1st of all...relaxxxx !
Read pg 79 of the green book its all there !... in the paper the test tube which we were given was the clue... If you still dont understand after reading..quote me :smile:

For the graphs.. extract information like this:

look at initial rate or say whatever is at zero

if there are 2 or more line..see if there is any difference between them..if there is quote it & then suggest whats the difference between them

if its something like a bar chart - look at the one which has the biggest difference between them...say they are talking about a decrease in weight so they give different types of foods so you look at the food which decreased the weight the most & MENTION HOW MUCH..& mention which type of food decreased the least amount of weight

look at the final value...any difference..

main important bit i forgot! mention the general trend of the graph is it decreasing or increasing

To make it easier for you..start from the initial rate & then move as the graph is moving..i mean mention the trend from the start..
I have seen places where graphs are constant...& it actually is a mark in the marking scheme so mention when the graph is constant

Hope this helps ! :colone:

awww ! thanks so much !! i read it ! it has got nothing about dispersive ?! (is that even existing) ? and also there are sometimes questions about why onli INITIAL RATE is measured ? and i have one more question (okay, iam hyper!!):P yea, in the enzyme concentration graph thing the rate generally becomes constant because the substrate concentration falls right ?! but shouldnt the rate after that decrease to a ZERO as all the substrate has been converted into product !?! thanks again !:biggrin:
Original post by aqua05
Issues can be something like this
- the cost of treatment is quite high for IVF & we not even sure if it is going to be successful
- false negatives which basically means while doing the tests, it is quite possible for the reports to be exchanged with someone elses reports..thus the information the patient gets is false.
- amniocentesis & chorionic villus sampling... there is a likelihood of a miscarriage even if the baby was healthy
- it may be emotional & traumatic for the parents if they have to terminate the pregnancy.
- sometimes while these tests are being done.. some of the parents do the tests with the aim of knowing the sex of the baby.. so if it is the undesired sex they would want to abort the baby which is very wrong as the fetus has the right to live. Even most of the times, the baby would just be aborted even without any genetic faults in it
- abortion is against most religions.
- some times society plays a major role as well.. say if the baby is recessive to a certain disease then according to the society it wont be a "perfect & healthy" baby

hope this helps :smile:

i always thought that sex selection should be a massive point in these questions but the mark schemes just DoNT have it !! they just have that fetus has right to live ! and mark schemes also contain points like insurance companies and employment stuff !!? WAAAAAAT does this even mean ??!:eek: i just hope we dont mess this unit up again ! :frown:
Reply 63
awww ! thanks so much !! i read it ! it has got nothing about dispersive ?! (is that even existing) ? and also there are sometimes questions about why onli INITIAL RATE is measured ? and i have one more question (okay, iam hyper!!):P yea, in the enzyme concentration graph thing the rate generally becomes constant because the substrate concentration falls right ?! but shouldnt the rate after that decrease to a ZERO as all the substrate has been converted into product !?! thanks again !:biggrin:

I dont understand when you say dispersive.. can you please elaborate?
Initial rate is measured for comparison purposes..say for the enzyme substrate graph.. the initial rate(1st 2mins) is measured because at this time most of the variable will remain constant & is at maximum.. later on the other variables decrease..say for substate enzyme graph..the substrate may get used up during the experiment & thus the rate of reaction will automatically decrease as products are being formed & the substrate conc decreases..
post the graph so that i understand what you trying to say
Reply 64
i always thought that sex selection should be a massive point in these questions but the mark schemes just DoNT have it !! they just have that fetus has right to live ! and mark schemes also contain points like insurance companies and employment stuff !!? WAAAAAAT does this even mean ??!:eek: i just hope we dont mess this unit up again ! :frown:

noo its part of the answer..dont worry..my teacher told me its correct..the mark scheme is just a basis on what the answer should be like
and do you guys suggest writing points in points form or paragraph form ?
Reply 66
and do you guys suggest writing points in points form or paragraph form ?

writing in paragraph is more safe & secure
Original post by aqua05
I dont understand when you say dispersive.. can you please elaborate?
Initial rate is measured for comparison purposes..say for the enzyme substrate graph.. the initial rate(1st 2mins) is measured because at this time most of the variable will remain constant & is at maximum.. later on the other variables decrease..say for substate enzyme graph..the substrate may get used up during the experiment & thus the rate of reaction will automatically decrease as products are being formed & the substrate conc decreases..
post the graph so that i understand what you trying to say

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091102162158AAh8bMx

read the best answer ! in the end he says flat line . but shouldnt the line decrease to a zero as all substrate gets converted ?? or is it a straight line forever ??? u gettin me ?
AND also when the question demands boldly that discuss only ONE issue is it okay to write two or more just in case one is wrong and other is right ? or will the examiner discard the entire answer ??!
AND also when the question demands boldly that discuss only ONE issue is it okay to write two or more just in case one is wrong and other is right ? or will the examiner discard the entire answer ??!

If you write 2 ansers and both contradict themselves or one is right and one is wrong; you won't get no marks

If you write 2 ansers and both are right, they will only look at the first one and give you the mark

Just write 1 anser to make 100% you will get the mark, and make sure that one point is strong enough to get the mark :smile:
Original post by This Honest
If you write 2 ansers and both contradict themselves or one is right and one is wrong; you won't get no marks

If you write 2 ansers and both are right, they will only look at the first one and give you the mark

Just write 1 anser to make 100% you will get the mark, and make sure that one point is strong enough to get the mark :smile:

thats the hardest thing !! choosing a strong point ! :tongue: for ethical issues in genetic screening thing what do you thing is a strong point ?!
in the Daphnia experiment can someone tell me ethical issues regarding it ?! and also safety precaution like use a plastic pipette to transfer Daphnia (is that right ) !! :P
in the Daphnia experiment can someone tell me ethical issues regarding it ?! and also safety precaution like use a plastic pipette to transfer Daphnia (is that right ) !! :P

i think daphnias could get stuck in the pipette
of course, daphnias are real organsims so animal cruelty due to testing them :dontknow:

thats the hardest thing !! choosing a strong point ! :tongue: for ethical issues in genetic screening thing what do you thing is a strong point ?!

I really don't know :colondollar:
[QUOTE=This Honest;35600094

I really don't know :colondollar:

well ! is sex selection of the child a good enough point ?? beacuse false engatives and positives seem very vague !! :smile:
FAIL qouting :P
FAIL qouting :P

happens to me sometimes :P

err yes, that could be a point because in some countries, the gene pool may change, more boys to be produced because they are respected more than girls in some countries of course :wink:

this is all guesswork here, i haven't done this in ages
Original post by This Honest
happens to me sometimes :P

err yes, that could be a point because in some countries, the gene pool may change, more boys to be produced because they are respected more than girls in some countries of course :wink:

this is all guesswork here, i haven't done this in ages

LOL !! well hmmmmm ! justt prrrrrray fer meh im repeating and i will die if something wrong happens again !!!!!! :colondollar:
Reply 77
HEY GUYS!!
Could anyone advice me please, where does UNIT 1 ends??
I mean ,I am doing the Edexcel and my tutor gave us a list where to revise to but I lost it ....I am guessing is untill topic 2 Cystic Fribosis as in the Ann Fullick's book,right?...Althoug,I am sure he did talk about Animal cells and that is what made me confused as it is in Unit 2... ;0) tHANKs
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aqua05

Original post by aqua05
no we dont have know that !

THANK YOU! :biggrin: Stressing over that stupid topic!
By the way, is this edexcel biology the Salter's Nuffield one? I have the orange textbook so I'm a little bit worried that I'm on a different course...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending