The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by barzy_j
But energy released from carriers chain is only used to make ATP directly in photosynthesis right, not on the inner membrane of a mitochondria.

hmm, I'm not quite sure, because up until now I've thought of it as two different processes happening in the electron transport chain. Reduced NAD and FAD releasing their protons which are involved in the pumping and ATPase etc and then releasing their electrons which are passed along the chain, releasing enough energy to also stimulate the synthesis of ATP. All of this happens on the inner membrane of the mitochondria, right?

edit: never mind, looks like I was wrong :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 261
Original post by barzy_j
I think your book might be summarising it a little too much. I have a text book that says the same but it's not the case. When it says the energy released goes towards making ATP, it's actually talking about all the steps in which protons are pumped and what not. So don't get confused, it never happens DIRECTLY - that's only in photosynthesis.

Okay thank you! :smile:
Original post by juliewho
Fantastic, thanks a lot. We seem to have raced through this unit and missed out a lot of the smaller details.

Unfortunately the question was the other way round, the advantages of natural over artificial, but thanks anyway :smile: Adds to my list of pro's/con's!

no problem :biggrin:
Original post by EffKayy
This seems correct :smile:
How are you revising for this? I've pretty much done but still not confident at all :frown:
Stupid HSW :frown:

NGL, I haven't even started. :redface: (Well, technically I wrote the definition of 'ecostystem' on Christmas Eve and quickly gave up). I still have three weeks though and I'm planning on starting revision for both biology and physics today; I only did one week of revision last year so hopefully I'll be okay. I always leave things to the last minute though! :eek3:

barzy_j
Thanks, that actually makes it a bit better. I'm beginning to think too much and think of the whole thing as separate steps but it's really the same step.

No problem. You're right in thinking it's a separate step (so if a question asked you to outline the ETC you'd definitely include it as a separte point/couple of points) but in terms of the three main steps in respiration (glycolysis, Krebs cycle [and link reaction], and ETC), it comes under the ETC. :smile:
anyone got any idea why the grade boundaries are so low? did a paper today and was shocked you only need 39/75 for an A*?
Original post by Patchey1000

Original post by Patchey1000
anyone got any idea why the grade boundaries are so low? did a paper today and was shocked you only need 39/75 for an A*?

That would be for Jan 2010? But grade boundaries have been consistently rising year on year. So I'd say an A* would be in the 50s this time.
Reply 266
Was 57 for jun 11, 52 for jan 11, i guess it will be around 57-60 this time. To be fair i did worse on the papers with lower boundaries so it is fairly accurate
Reply 267
Original post by ps3g4m3r
Was 57 for jun 11, 52 for jan 11, i guess it will be around 57-60 this time. To be fair i did worse on the papers with lower boundaries so it is fairly accurate

How do you know what the grade boundaries are going to be without even seeing the paper...awk
Original post by EffKayy
How do you know what the grade boundaries are going to be without even seeing the paper...awk

he said he'll 'guess it will be around 57-60 this time'

lolololol
Reply 269
Original post by James A
he said he'll 'guess it will be around 57-60 this time'

lolololol

Before sitting the paper?
Wow. Extraordinary
Original post by EffKayy
Before sitting the paper?
Wow. Extraordinary

yeah if you can guess what topics came up by looking at previous papers, then you can estimate it definetly
Reply 271
Original post by James A
yeah if you can guess what topics came up by looking at previous papers, then you can estimate it definetly

Ahaa, who knows, we might have another paper full of shrews..
But I've seen that AQA are being less harsh in terms of the actual paper now.

How have you revised ?
Original post by barzy_j
I think your book might be summarising it a little too much. I have a text book that says the same but it's not the case. When it says the energy released goes towards making ATP, it's actually talking about all the steps in which protons are pumped and what not. So don't get confused, it never happens DIRECTLY - that's only in photosynthesis.

Hi sorry but just to check would you say atp is produced by the hydrogen protons being pumped into the mitochondrial inner membrane?
Reply 273
Hi, having done several papers, I've managed to come out with fairly good A's having got pretty rubbish results - which is typical AQA.

However, I did the specimen paper today that was given to us by school and got 44/75 - which is definitely not good. The problem is, I can't find any grade boundaries online, actually I'm not even sure if AQA release GB's for these - does anyone happen to know?

Also, it is definintely the general consesus that over the last year, the grade boundaries have risen because the content in the paper is easier? (I don't have the june 2011 paper and will do the jan one as a mock at school apparently, so I haven't actually looked) Or is it because AQA are tightening the boundaries?

Sorry this is long, but thanks :smile:
It's a chemiosmotic gradient created by the electron transport chain which drives ATP synthesis no?
Reply 275
Original post by je t'aime
Hi, having done several papers, I've managed to come out with fairly good A's having got pretty rubbish results - which is typical AQA.

However, I did the specimen paper today that was given to us by school and got 44/75 - which is definitely not good. The problem is, I can't find any grade boundaries online, actually I'm not even sure if AQA release GB's for these - does anyone happen to know?

Also, it is definintely the general consesus that over the last year, the grade boundaries have risen because the content in the paper is easier? (I don't have the june 2011 paper and will do the jan one as a mock at school apparently, so I haven't actually looked) Or is it because AQA are tightening the boundaries?

Sorry this is long, but thanks :smile:

Don't think there are grade boundaries for the specimen paper but they are renowned for being very dodgy since the mark schemes don't get checked like the final ones do...
And yeh to the content getting easier i reckon, i did a few papers within about 2 weeks in december and got the higher marks in the papers which had higher grade boundaries...also i think the ridiculously low boundaries of the first 2 papers where due to the backlash after those exams, plus them being the first of the 'new style' of exams
Any predictions of what might NOT come up?
Original post by barzy_j
Just to add, the protons are not pumped INTO the inner membrane. They are pumped into the space between the inner membrane and outer membrane. Then they diffuse back into the matrix.

Yeah sorry that's what i meant. Thanks I'll talk to my teacher tomorrow.
Reply 278
Original post by ps3g4m3r
Don't think there are grade boundaries for the specimen paper but they are renowned for being very dodgy since the mark schemes don't get checked like the final ones do...
And yeh to the content getting easier i reckon, i did a few papers within about 2 weeks in december and got the higher marks in the papers which had higher grade boundaries...also i think the ridiculously low boundaries of the first 2 papers where due to the backlash after those exams, plus them being the first of the 'new style' of exams

Thank you! totally agree about the specimen paper, it was awful! good luck to you :smile:
Reply 279
Anyone know if we are expected to know of the ethical issues with regards to intensively rearing livestock? Asked this yesterday but no one replied :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending