The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by Trigger
Ok so the OPs ass, thigh and arms work out, will that encourage all over weightloss too? Im a gym n00b :sad:

If you are wondering about an exercise and how good it will be, think: how many muscles does it use? (the more the better, so f.example bicep curls suck). Also how intensive is it? Obviously the more intensive the better but you have to take it at a good pace for your level, otherwise you will get too knackered and give up, thus not getting the most out of your workout.
Reply 661
Original post by Becca
If you are wondering about an exercise and how good it will be, think: how many muscles does it use? (the more the better, so f.example bicep curls suck). Also how intensive is it? Obviously the more intensive the better but you have to take it at a good pace for your level, otherwise you will get too knackered and give up, thus not getting the most out of your workout.

Thank you, il be honest im find all of this really stressful and scary :colondollar: I want to lose the weight but i dont want to hurt myself or waste tome doing excercises that don't do anything plus im getting pressure (which im ignoring) from people "helping" and to top it off i think im setting silly goals in my head. I need to calm down and go at it properly so thank you for being patient and answering my questions :smile:

To think i used to believe a bit of jogging would have me dropping weight in days :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 662
Original post by Trigger
Thank you, il be honest im find all of this really stressful and scary :colondollar: I want to lose the weight but i dont want to hurt myself or waste tome doing excercises that don't do anything plus im getting pressure (which im ignoring) from people "helping" and to top it off i think im setting silly goals in my head. I need to calm down and go at it properly so thank you for being patient and answering my questions :smile:

To think i used to believe a bit of jogging would have me dropping weight in days :colonhash:

Yeah it's all about slow and steady. I have been slowly losing weight (read - fat) for months now. I have only lost about 6kg and have another 4ish to go but I have done it without making MASSIVE changes to my diet and lifestyle. Obviously there have been small adjustments every now and then, such as recently switching to a much lower carb diet but I feel much better doing it this way than suddenly trying to change everything.
I think a good first goal for you would be to get to the gym three times a week. When that is ingrained in your routine then change something else! My next goal is to start training 6 days a week, which I won't be able to achieve until after Xmas. When I first started last year 3 times a week was a lot! It's also really good to record your progress in a blog and I can recommend taking a training diary to the gym and write down everything you do there and then, that way if you can't get online you won't fall behind on your blog. I just looked at the first page of my blog and I can't believe how much progress I've made since last January when I started it!
Reply 663
Original post by Becca
Yeah it's all about slow and steady. I have been slowly losing weight (read - fat) for months now. I have only lost about 6kg and have another 4ish to go but I have done it without making MASSIVE changes to my diet and lifestyle. Obviously there have been small adjustments every now and then, such as recently switching to a much lower carb diet but I feel much better doing it this way than suddenly trying to change everything.
I think a good first goal for you would be to get to the gym three times a week. When that is ingrained in your routine then change something else! My next goal is to start training 6 days a week, which I won't be able to achieve until after Xmas. When I first started last year 3 times a week was a lot! It's also really good to record your progress in a blog and I can recommend taking a training diary to the gym and write down everything you do there and then, that way if you can't get online you won't fall behind on your blog. I just looked at the first page of my blog and I can't believe how much progress I've made since last January when I started it!
Ideally i think i want to drop about 3 or 4 stone, will def start writing down what i do and i have taken photos.

I think i have pulled my groin too :facepalm2: thank you for being wonderful
Original post by Becca

how much of a calorie deficit are you on? and how are you making sure you arent losing muscle?
Reply 665
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
how much of a calorie deficit are you on? and how are you making sure you arent losing muscle?

I don't record my food atm or even know my BMR so I don't know! I know I am not losing muscle because despite the weightloss I am still getting better and stronger at my lifts. I also look more muscly. (Not much though, only I would notice it). I could probably eat more protein though.
Original post by Becca
I don't record my food atm or even know my BMR so I don't know! I know I am not losing muscle because despite the weightloss I am still getting better and stronger at my lifts. I also look more muscly. (Not much though, only I would notice it). I could probably eat more protein though.

thanks for the reply

so if you get stronger at your lifts it means you arent losing muscle despite losing weight?
Reply 667
thanks for the reply

so if you get stronger at your lifts it means you arent losing muscle despite losing weight?

Think logically...(it can have to do with technique with the olympic lifts but not really with squats/deads etc)
Original post by Becca
Think logically...(it can have to do with technique with the olympic lifts but not really with squats/deads etc)

so if i lost weight but was getting stronger on all my lifts

would i be losing muscle?
Reply 669
so if i lost weight but was getting stronger on all my lifts

would i be losing muscle?

:facepalm2:
No you would not.
Original post by Becca
:facepalm2:
No you would not.

thank you
Reply 671
Question, whats more important the reps you do or the weight?
Original post by Trigger
Question, whats more important the reps you do or the weight?

Both (assuming you are using the correct form) are measurable levels of performance.

More oft than not unless you are training for some sort of endurance challenge it is simplest to try to perform the same number of reps with a heavier weight - however it is fine to try to get a couple more reps at a current weight before you increase the weight you are using.

If I had to choose between the two I would lean towards weight.
Reply 673
Original post by Powerlifter
Both (assuming you are using the correct form) are measurable levels of performance.

More oft than not unless you are training for some sort of endurance challenge it is simplest to try to perform the same number of reps with a heavier weight - however it is fine to try to get a couple more reps at a current weight before you increase the weight you are using.

If I had to choose between the two I would lean towards weight.

Ok brill thank you, im on measley 4kgs atm but feeling stronger!
Original post by Trigger
Ok brill thank you, im on measley 4kgs atm but feeling stronger!

You will get there!
Reply 675
Original post by Powerlifter
You will get there!

Awww you are so nice :smile:
I have a question, sorry if it's dumb, but if I became more muscular through working out would I be able to lose the muscle or is that difficult? I've heard from some people that once when you build muscle, it's there forever, whereas others have said that muscle is quite easy to lose if you don't keep working it.
Original post by Horchata
I have a question, sorry if it's dumb, but if I became more muscular through working out would I be able to lose the muscle or is that difficult? I've heard from some people that once when you build muscle, it's there forever, whereas others have said that muscle is quite easy to lose if you don't keep working it.

Nothing lasts forever so it will atrophy if not used.

This said however you will not be able to build much muscle - it is very hard for a man to do without massive resistance training, diet and dedication. One of the pre-requisites is testosterone which as a lass you have very little of, so if its tough for guys it is probably 10 times harder for you.
Oh okay, thanks :smile:
hi, iv just joined a gym again and am trying to tone up - im a definite skinny fat candidate!

im planning on doing HIIT 3x a week and then on the other days doing weights. I've never done resistance work before, only ever cardio, so I really have no idea what im doing. My gym has a kinesis machine - I had a go on it today, copying the exercises shown on the machine. Is kinesis as good as doing free weights? Or am I wasting my time with it? What exercises should i be doing on it?

Quick Reply

Latest