The Student Room Group

PMP's Transformation Blog

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sophie_girl
This is silly, an apple is not bad if you're dieting. :rolleyes: Fruit is not bad for you, it is fine and HEALTHY to have an apple as a snack - nobody is saying you would eat 5 of them. Nutritious and a source of fibre.

Eating a piece of fruit is fine, bananas are fine too - yes 150 calories might seem like 'a lot' (I don't think it is), but they are very good for you and have lots of potassium in. A banana is going to keep you full for longer than 3 grapes at 3 calories each.
It is better to get used to eating this rather than 'low calorie' processed foods or unhealthy things.

I hate bad advice like this and people trying to scare others off eating fruit. You are giving stupid and false information, like grapes are good for dieting and apples aren't.

Completely agree, it's ridiculous advice. Granted, there are lower calorie fruits you can eat over apples, but apples are still low calorie, health snacks, which are great when trying to follow a healthy diet.
Reply 21
Original post by Sophie_girl
This is silly, an apple is not bad if you're dieting. :rolleyes: Fruit is not bad for you, it is fine and HEALTHY to have an apple as a snack - nobody is saying you would eat 5 of them. Nutritious and a source of fibre.

Eating a piece of fruit is fine, bananas are fine too - yes 150 calories might seem like 'a lot' (I don't think it is), but they are very good for you and have lots of potassium in. A banana is going to keep you full for longer than 3 grapes at 3 calories each.
It is better to get used to eating this rather than 'low calorie' processed foods or unhealthy things.

I hate bad advice like this and people trying to scare others off eating fruit. You are giving stupid and false information, like grapes are good for dieting and apples aren't.

Sorry didn't mean to neg, hit the -ve instead of quote.

But you should have read the entire thread before coming up with your post, the OP doesn't have any cal allowance for even a sachet of oats which has less cals than an apple.

Sorry to burst your bubble but too much fruit is as bad as too little fruit. eating bananas just as a source of potassium isn't such a fantastic idea, you can get the same benefit from eating a sweet potato and not just is it a higher source of potassium it will also keep you full for a lot longer than a banana and if you steam or boil it without adding any butter or oil to it then the cal differences between them is marginal.

Obviously a fruit is much better than a low cal processed food, that isn't a point of debate. As for apple as a source of fibre, again the amount of sugar and calories from it doesn't make sense........... far more economical ways to get fibre and save on cals.
Okay, so on that note I haven't actually eaten grapes or apples today lol. The kids have had apples. I've got some pears in the car which I may have for breakfast tomorrow. Today has been a bit rubbish really.

Day 3 :

weighed myself this morning. 10 stone 9lbs 4oz. No change there then.

Breakfast - erm yeh, I slept through breakfast. Was blumming knackered so Phil got up with the kids.

Lunch - pate and cucumber sandwich, same as yesterday

Dinner - now here's the thing. I had a really healthy dinner of fish, mashed potatoes, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower planned out.
BUT
we went to Leeds to see my parents and have got back really late - we've literally just got in. The washing up from lunch still needs to be done, and by the time I do all that and cook dinner it's going to be probably close to 7.30pm,
That's where the problem lies, as 7.30 is the kids bedtime.
So....
we're waiting for takeaway, which should be here in about 5 mins.

*cringes*

I KNOW I know, I did try and convince myself to go through with the fish dinner regardless, and not have takeaway, but I can't face the kids staying up late. If they get over-tired they get beyond manic.

Conclusion : do not visit your parents. It's detrimental to your weight loss!

Got a chicken dinner planned for tomorrow for Sunday dinner. The fish will wait, it's all frozen that stuff so we'll probably have it on Tuesday.

Exercise - well there's a bit of a bugger. We had planned to go for a long walk in the park with my mam. Took the dog with us and everything....but it took so long to get to my dad's, that by the time we got to my mam's it was starting to get dark, so that went out of the window.

So today is not a good day to transform, it would seem!
Don't beat yourself up about it :h: You can't neglect your children for a better body, and that everything at your dad's took longer than planned just happens sometimes.
I know it makes takeaways less fun, but even there you can make little changes to make it all a little bit healthier. Thin crust veggie pizza with reduced fat cheese instead of the regular ones with pepperoni on... Boiled rice instead of fried... Not eating prawn crackers or poppadums... Eating less of the sauce... Something containing lots of lean chicken... And finally, making yourself an extra portion of frozen veg at home to go with it all. It doesn't mean you're doooomed :mmm: Just a heads up!
Original post by whitepearlbaby
Don't beat yourself up about it :h: You can't neglect your children for a better body, and that everything at your dad's took longer than planned just happens sometimes.
I know it makes takeaways less fun, but even there you can make little changes to make it all a little bit healthier. Thin crust veggie pizza with reduced fat cheese instead of the regular ones with pepperoni on... Boiled rice instead of fried... Not eating prawn crackers or poppadums... Eating less of the sauce... Something containing lots of lean chicken... And finally, making yourself an extra portion of frozen veg at home to go with it all. It doesn't mean you're doooomed :mmm: Just a heads up!

thanks lol, unfortunately I had already ordered it. calzone. just about the most fattening thing I could have had.

In a weird way I'm looking forward to doing my husband's pre-op diet because it will take away some of the temptation, because I'll know I have no choice. Roll on thursday!
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
thanks lol, unfortunately I had already ordered it. calzone. just about the most fattening thing I could have had.

In a weird way I'm looking forward to doing my husband's pre-op diet because it will take away some of the temptation, because I'll know I have no choice. Roll on thursday!

Oh, that was just a general idea for those times in the future when there's just no time for cooking :h: And uhh, enjoy that restrictive diet :mmm:
Oh, that was just a general idea for those times in the future when there's just no time for cooking :h: And uhh, enjoy that restrictive diet :mmm:

lol this time next week I'll be complaining about how much it sucks to be on it lol
Right.

Day 4 :

breakfast : leftover calzone.

lunch : activia vanilla yoghurt

dinner : sunday dinner (made it myself). roast chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, gravy, 2 small yorkshire puddings.

And how do I feel? Whale-like. I'm even past the stage of being a walrus. No more takeaways!
Apart from the breakfast I'd say that's good! :biggrin: Could've had a banana in/with your yoghurt but who am I to judge. Mmm bananas :daydreaming:
Apart from the breakfast I'd say that's good! :biggrin: Could've had a banana in/with your yoghurt but who am I to judge. Mmm bananas :daydreaming:

lol you and your banana obsession haha. I actually don't like bananas. I don't mind the flavour, so banana flavoured things are ok, I just don't like the texture, it's too squishy and slimy.
Day 5 :

breakfast : activia vanilla yoghurt

lunch : foot long subway sandwich - italian herbs and cheese bread, sweet onion chicken teriyaki with cheese, lettuce, cucumber, red onions and green peppers.
fanta to drink
half a bag of cheese doritos
portion of nachos (which is essentially just a packet of original doritos) with cheese and jalapenos.

dinner will be non existent because foot longs fill me up for the day.

I'm so not doing very well with this so far am I? I think subconsciously I'm trying to "make the most" of the time I have left before starting Phil's pre-op diet with him on Thursday, which is a terrible way to look at it really. I need to change my mind-set.
I went to subway in London just before grabbing the bus home.

Had a voucher for a footlong sub for like 4.50 (or something along those lines), I had the intention of using it.

I left subway with a footlong, double meat, double cheese, steak and cheese premium meal deal which cost me £8.50

No idea how that happened, couldn't understand a word they were saying and I think I just agreed to it without knowing!

:frown:
Reply 32
Day 5 :

I'm so not doing very well with this so far am I? I think subconsciously I'm trying to "make the most" of the time I have left before starting Phil's pre-op diet with him on Thursday, which is a terrible way to look at it really. I need to change my mind-set.

Don't beat yourself up over it.... maybe you should just enjoy and have whatever you want in moderation instead. No point losing weight but being miserable about it :smile:

Anyway am sure the pre-op diet will have some results to show..

Am not taking part in any transformations and it is already looking like I won't meet my weight loss target for this month LOL.... too much eating already as have quite a lot of business lunches to attend and in 2 weeks it is Chinese New Year which means a week of constant eating somewhat akin to xmas time..... arghhh and food in Hong Kong always makes me over eat LOL.
Reply 33
Okay, so on that note I haven't actually eaten grapes or apples today lol. The kids have had apples. I've got some pears in the car which I may have for breakfast tomorrow. Today has been a bit rubbish really.

Day 3 :

weighed myself this morning. 10 stone 9lbs 4oz. No change there then.

Breakfast - erm yeh, I slept through breakfast. Was blumming knackered so Phil got up with the kids.

Lunch - pate and cucumber sandwich, same as yesterday

Dinner - now here's the thing. I had a really healthy dinner of fish, mashed potatoes, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower planned out.
BUT
we went to Leeds to see my parents and have got back really late - we've literally just got in. The washing up from lunch still needs to be done, and by the time I do all that and cook dinner it's going to be probably close to 7.30pm,
That's where the problem lies, as 7.30 is the kids bedtime.
So....
we're waiting for takeaway, which should be here in about 5 mins.

*cringes*

I KNOW I know, I did try and convince myself to go through with the fish dinner regardless, and not have takeaway, but I can't face the kids staying up late. If they get over-tired they get beyond manic.

Conclusion : do not visit your parents. It's detrimental to your weight loss!

Got a chicken dinner planned for tomorrow for Sunday dinner. The fish will wait, it's all frozen that stuff so we'll probably have it on Tuesday.

Exercise - well there's a bit of a bugger. We had planned to go for a long walk in the park with my mam. Took the dog with us and everything....but it took so long to get to my dad's, that by the time we got to my mam's it was starting to get dark, so that went out of the window.

So today is not a good day to transform, it would seem!

Do you keep stuff like pasta/rice/cous cous in the house? Onion, garlic, other veg, tin of toms = delicious, nutritious pasta sauce in 10mins. Much cheaper, healthier and quicker than a takeaway!
Omelette? Poached eggs?
Get a few quicky recipes in your repetoire and you'll never need takeaway again!
Original post by Becca
Do you keep stuff like pasta/rice/cous cous in the house? Onion, garlic, other veg, tin of toms = delicious, nutritious pasta sauce in 10mins. Much cheaper, healthier and quicker than a takeaway!
Omelette? Poached eggs?
Get a few quicky recipes in your repetoire and you'll never need takeaway again!

lol oh I can cook perfectly well, and I always do a weekly shop in order to cook meals every day, the problem is that I don't particularly enjoy cooking lol. That and the fact that I have a rubbish attitude to food.

On Saturday, we had come to the end of the weekly shop though so I had run out of everything except the fish dinner, and the chicken dinner we had on Sunday.

We're having the fish, veggies and mash tonight. Gonna kick myself up the butt there!
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm rubbish.

nuff said.

Not posting here until Thursday!
I'm rubbish.

nuff said.

Not posting here until Thursday!

Oi, none of that! Accepting yourself as you are is the first step. "Hey, I'm PMP and yes, I like fast food and I don't like cooking. But I would like to lose weight".
It's 1000x more difficult with a family and kids. And again, remember who you are doing this for: yourself. Getting to a normal BMI gives you added benefits, too :p:

So, when you eat something unhealthy don't tell yourself that you're a failure, because negativity will get you nowhere. Tell yourself "that's okay, I'm not going to change over night. My lifestyle as it is now has stuck with me since I moved in with my partner (or whenever), so it might take a while to change. But that's fine. I am not defined by what I eat."

If you only do one thing every day towards healthy eating, you should put that down as a success! If you had your normal food, as always, but added in one piece of fruit or veg extra, or took a bite of that pizza less, you should note that down as a change. Because it is one. I want to see a positive attitude in here! :p:
Thanks wpb :hugs:

right, so today is the first day of the pre-op diet. Not my own pre-op diet but I'm doing it nevertheless.

breakfast : 30g cornflakes, using milk out of my half pint a day allowance. Yes I weighed the cornflakes.

That's all I've had so far, considering it's only 8am.
What do you eat if you're peckish? Rice cakes with low fat cream cheese is good, as are oatcakes with low fat peanut butter.
Also how much bread do you eat? If you eat a certain amount are you able to make your own? Because there is probably a lot of crap in supermarket Bread you don't need (I saw it in a program once = My argument is solid :yes:)
Original post by thunder_chunky
What do you eat if you're peckish? Rice cakes with low fat cream cheese is good, as are oatcakes with low fat peanut butter.
Also how much bread do you eat? If you eat a certain amount are you able to make your own? Because there is probably a lot of crap in supermarket Bread you don't need (I saw it in a program once = My argument is solid :yes:)

Well, prior to starting this pre-op diet this morning, I was having 2 slices of weight watchers bread a day, for a sandwich at lunchtime.

If I'm peckish, I'd have erm...well it varied haha.

Now though I'm not gonna be having a bite of bread for the next two weeks, and the diet I'm following as of today is really specific :

-Have three meals a day and use the 'extra' fruit or yoghurts as desserts or as snacks.

-Try to vary the foods as much a possible during the fortnight to help make sure you are getting a good range of nutrients.

-Do not guess weights - use scales to measure portions accurately.

-No sugar, cooking oils, margarine, butter, low fat spread,, mayonnaise or sauces are allowed.

-The following drinks and flavourings are allowed freely :
water, tea and coffee (using milk from allowance), low calorie squash.

A small amount of the following can be added to food if needed : salt, lemon juice, vinegar, balsamic vinegar, garlic, herbs and spices, pepper, artificial sweeteners.

-Include at least 2 litres of fluid a day.

Breakfast

30g non sugar-coated and nut-free cereal e.g. porridge oats, ready brek, branflakes, rice crispies, special k, cornflakes, shreddies, sultana bran
or
1 and a half weetabix or shredded wheat
or1 portion of fruit
or
1 diet yoghurt
or
1 small slice bread or roll

Lunch and Dinner

1 small slice bread or small roll
or
2 crispbreads
or
100g potato (uncooked weight) - jacket, boiled, or mashed with milk from allowance.
or
30g (uncooked weight) of rice, couscous, pasta or noodles.

With
100g vegetables
or
cereal bowl of salad with 1 teaspoon of low calorie dressing (no salad cream or mayonnaise)

With
Choose one of the following - all are cooked weights :

150g steamed or poached fish. No batter or breadcrumb coatings
or
50g lean meat. Trim off all fat before cooking
or
1 large egg e.g. poached, boiled or scrambled with milk from allowance
or
110g Quorn or Tofu
or
25g cheese e.g. cheddar, brie, stilton etc.
or
50g low fat soft cheese e.g. Philadelphia light, Laughing cow light etc.
or
75g chicken or turkey
or
100g tinned tuna/pilchards (not in oil)
or
50g tinned salmon/sardines (not in oil)

Each day also have :

-260ml (half a pint) of skimmed or semi-skimmed milk
-2 portions of fruit (one of which could be swapped for a small (150ml) glass of fruit juice)
-1 diet/light/virtually fat-free yoghurt or fromage frais

A portion of fruit is :
1 large fruit e.g. banana, apple, pear, orange, grapefruit
or
2 small fruits e.b. kiwi, plum, satsuma
or
200g strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, rhubarb or gooseberries
or
10 grapes or cherries
or
100g tinned fruit in juice

Quick Reply

Latest