The Student Room Group

TSR Biology Society

Scroll to see replies

I've sent requests to join this and the Chemistry society, if an admin/mod could approve them that would be much appreciated :smile:
Can any university biology students give me some titles of some good books they've read/recommend?

I've read 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre and 'Language of the Genes' by Steve Jones, any similar idea's? Based on Biology, I'd prefer not to read physics because I flopped it at GCSE. I'm currently an A-level student and I am planning to study Biomedical science at the University of Warwick(Conditional on I get ABB)

Reply 582
Original post by Eloades11
Can any university biology students give me some titles of some good books they've read/recommend?

I've read 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre and 'Language of the Genes' by Steve Jones, any similar idea's? Based on Biology, I'd prefer not to read physics because I flopped it at GCSE. I'm currently an A-level student and I am planning to study Biomedical science at the University of Warwick(Conditional on I get ABB)

'Elephants on Acid' is quite a good easy book. It's about weird experiments and how people tested certain hypothesis- like wine tasters can't tell the difference between red wine and white if it is dyed
Original post by Jaredss
'Elephants on Acid' is quite a good easy book. It's about weird experiments and how people tested certain hypothesis- like wine tasters can't tell the difference between red wine and white if it is dyed

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely look into it :smile:
Reply 584

As mentioned Elephants on Acid is fun :smile:

If you fancy some slightly more sciency ones (not that those aren't, but Bad Science and EonA are both quite short and sweet rather than a continuous trend) Genome by Matt Ridley is FANTASTIC. Also have a look at Virolution (awesome story but a bit more of a slog), The Secret Life of Trees (although maybe not if you don't already like trees - I've heard it called dry); umm The Selfish Genius is good if you're interested in evolution (especially if Richard Dawkins annoys you already)... If you want something quite easy and a bit poppy then Seven Daughters of Eve is nice enough (just frustrating if you expected it to be wholly scientific) Oh and Power, Sex, Suicide by Nick Lane :smile:
Original post by Bekaboo

As mentioned Elephants on Acid is fun :smile:

If you fancy some slightly more sciency ones (not that those aren't, but Bad Science and EonA are both quite short and sweet rather than a continuous trend) Genome by Matt Ridley is FANTASTIC. Also have a look at Virolution (awesome story but a bit more of a slog), The Secret Life of Trees (although maybe not if you don't already like trees - I've heard it called dry); umm The Selfish Genius is good if you're interested in evolution (especially if Richard Dawkins annoys you already)... If you want something quite easy and a bit poppy then Seven Daughters of Eve is nice enough (just frustrating if you expected it to be wholly scientific) Oh and Power, Sex, Suicide by Nick Lane :smile:

Thanks a lot, I think I'll look into matt ridleys Genome and I've noted down what everyones said :smile:
Reply 586
Thanks a lot, I think I'll look into matt ridleys Genome and I've noted down what everyones said :smile:

Yeah another bump for Genome, a very good book, can get a bit complicated in places but good. I still have the Selfish Gene and Extended Phenotype by Richard Dawkins to read. Anyone read them? Any good?

Read Origin of Species and wasn't that impressed (am I allowed to say that?:biggrin:). The theory and stuff is good but didn't like the way it was written "Never use one word when 10 will do" applies I feel.

Still got Power, Sex and suicide to read also. Got a lot of reading to do in Summer.:smile:
Reply 587
Hi guys, I'm at uni, first year Biomed. Can someone please help me with this stuff on spores in bacteria? I'd really appreciate it.
Reply 588
Does anyone have the Examiner Report of the coursework of Edexcel last year?
hi guys - doing some revision and I don't trust this website im using. Is it true that pioneer plants don't change the environment / facilitate??
Method of measuring curvature of a radicle??
Please help me!!!
Original post by VetWannabeee
hi guys - doing some revision and I don't trust this website im using. Is it true that pioneer plants don't change the environment / facilitate??

Pioneer plants change some of the abiotic factors, eg, how rich the soil is (nutrients)
And yes, they do facilitate. I wouldn't trust the website youre using if I were you.
Reply 592
Original post by MyselfEtAl
Pioneer plants change some of the abiotic factors, eg, how rich the soil is (nutrients)
And yes, they do facilitate. I wouldn't trust the website youre using if I were you.

But I don't think they change the immdediate enviroment so I mean like bushes providing habitats and food chains ect .. it changes it to start the process of succession
could someone please define the terms for me;

target tissue
respiratory substrate

thanks
Original post by volvicstar
could someone please define the terms for me;

target tissue
respiratory substrate

thanks

The target tissue is the group of cells that a compound, e.g. a hormone is supposed to work at. For example, the target tissue for adrenaline is a heart tissue.

A respiratory substrate is a compound that will bind to an enzyme, in order to facilitate respiration (aerobic or anaerobic), such as glucose.
Original post by thegodofgod
The target tissue is the group of cells that a compound, e.g. a hormone is supposed to work at. For example, the target tissue for adrenaline is a heart tissue.

A respiratory substrate is a compound that will bind to an enzyme, in order to facilitate respiration (aerobic or anaerobic), such as glucose.

No, it depends on the school and exam board
a good one for OCR is OCR biology heinmann

or advanced biology micheal kent for all exam boards AS and A2

Advanced Biology by Jones and Jones is excellent! :biggrin:

Didn't realise it was that expensive though! :colondollar:
can someone help me with my thread, so far i have 149 views but no reply ):

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending