The Student Room Group

MPhil in Management Cambridge 2012-2013

Hi guys!

I wanted to start a thread specifically for those who are applying or have already applied for the MPhil in Management at Cambridge, as I couldn't find one on the site. I applied for the course mid/late November and I am still 'under consideration by department' :frown: . Is this the case with anyone else as well? Or has anyone passed this stage? Has anyone been accepted? Please share any info you may have :biggrin:. It's so annoying that the Cambridge system takes so long I just want to know whether I have been accepted or not ah aha. Anyway whatever you guys are thinking about, please post :biggrin:

Thanks in advance :smile:!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not nice to threat your potential future colleagues.
Reply 2
Original post by Tcastle

Original post by Tcastle
It's not nice to threat your potential future colleagues.

Hi Tcatsle, I am not sure how my post seems 'threatening', as that was NOT my intention at all :smile:. I just wanted to know who has applied or thinking about applying to Cambridge. I also meant that the Cambridge system (not potential people who might respond to this thread) is annoying as it takes so long to inform us about the progress of our applications. If my message read as a 'threat' then I apologize :smile:.

Thanks!
Reply 3
threat vs thread ~ "I wanted to start a threat specifically..."
Reply 4
I apologize for my lame comment, it was early in the morning and being a jackass
Reply 5
hehe, I laughed. Anyway, Yeah I applied for the MPhil Management. Not holding out much hope though. May I ask, did you take the GMAT?

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by MartinK

Original post by MartinK
threat vs thread ~ "I wanted to start a threat specifically..."

loool I saw what you were referring to! I have no idea why I used the word threat instead of thread...It was very early in the morning lol
Reply 7
hahaaha...I've learnt my lesson

I didn't take the GMAT. Are you an international student? The GMAT is not required so I figured that I didn't need to take it...hopefully that will not effect my application. When did you both apply?
Reply 8
Nope domestic, it is 'recommended' and can help the application so was just curious. What sort of competition am I up against here then? :P you a seriously good candidate?
Reply 9
@ Hanshen, no I'm an okay candidate and really interested in business :smile:. I just felt that there was no much point in doing the GMAT. Plus I already completed my undergraduate degree, I am currently doing my masters. Did you do it? What about other people following the thread?
Reply 10
Nope, I didn't do a masters and only have an undergrad degree. I really do hope I get in, but I'm not too hopeful. My undergrad results are good, but I suppose Cambridge want more. Not sure.
I just submitted an application to this program yesterday. From what I got to know, they will give out results not before the end of March. It is written on their website. They recommend applying early, but they wait till the applications are all in before they start giving out decisions. And as far as the GRE/GMAT score is concerned, I asked them and it is not a requirement is what I was told. They said it won't affect your application drastically.

I have given the GRE though, but did not forward the score. Waiting for the results...desperate. I got an offer from Cass and have to deposit 10% by Feb 20. But it seems I just have to let that go. I have an offer from Warwick though. It is wise enough to let go of Cass, am I right? And rather wait to hear from Cambridge, considering I have an admit from Warwick?
Reply 12
@ pratee.panda: I also read that the results comes out around March, but I didn't know that they only looked at your application once the deadline closed. Had I known that I think maybe I could have applied later and maybe my application would be stronger somehow...but oh well. I am just tired of waiting lol. Those two are great schools, congrats btw! You should think hard about giving Cass up. If the deposit isn't too expensive, you could still pay and decline it later, once you've found out about Cambridge. Can Cass give you more time to decide?

@ Hansheen: If you're confident that you're have met the important requirements then you have a chance like anybody else.

What are you plans after the MPhil? I want to work in consultancy or investment management and then hopefully open my own business...
Reply 13
Thought I'd give this a little bump, any more people applied? :smile:
Reply 14
@ pratee.panda: I'm in the same situation, I've received an offer from Imperial College's MSc in management and I'm supposed to pay a desposit before february 20th if I want to keep my offer.

Do you think it's actually a good idea to do it? Cause I don't know if I'm very likely to get cambridge or not...
Original post by fraak
@ pratee.panda: I'm in the same situation, I've received an offer from Imperial College's MSc in management and I'm supposed to pay a desposit before february 20th if I want to keep my offer.

Do you think it's actually a good idea to do it? Cause I don't know if I'm very likely to get cambridge or not...

If you don't mind me asking: when did you apply to ICL? How long did it take to schedule the interview/receive the offer. What did your grades/exp look like?
I've applied as well.

What's upsetting about the situation is that I expect my 30-day deadlines to pay my deposit for all the other programs I've been accepted to will have long since expired by the time I know anything from Cambridge.
Reply 17
Original post by Chaaalieboy
I've applied as well.

What's upsetting about the situation is that I expect my 30-day deadlines to pay my deposit for all the other programs I've been accepted to will have long since expired by the time I know anything from Cambridge.

Yeah we're all pretty much in that situation I think. I've had to let one of my offers lapse already, I have accepted another, so I'll be quite vexed/confused if I get an offer from Cam now.
Reply 18
to Chaaalieboy: I've applied very early, probably in mid november and I had my interview with the programm director 2 weeks later, in early december.

Anyway, I think I'll say yes to IC. I have no idea whether Cambridge's gonna accept me or not and I don't want to take any risk especially since we won't receive any answers before the end of march :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by Hanshen
Thought I'd give this a little bump, any more people applied? :smile:

Applied like 3 weeks ago, don't really have high hopes for it but oh well.

Quick Reply

Latest