The Student Room Group

PMP's Transformation Blog

Scroll to see replies

right, managed to whip up a reasonably tasty lunch for this pre-op diet malarky. Poached salmon (Phil had smoked haddock instead), curry-powdered rice, cauliflower, broccoli, onions (cooked with the salmon), peas, carrots.

Still hungry though haha. Just had my first fruit allowance of the day (10 grapes) to top up the lunch lol.

Jesus christ don't let anyone on here see that link! Uh oh..too late...
Dinner was an epic fail. Stir fry chicken, stir fry veg, and boiled rice, all covered in chinese 5 spices. I managed to stir fry reasonably well without any oil (had to keep putting water in the frying pan), but the end result, although it looked appetising, tasted really bland and crap. Conclusion - don't attempt stir fry when you can't use any sauces.
You live and learn I suppose. Better luck tomorrow. I ate it anyway out of hunger. Then had 10 grapes (my second fruit allowance of the day).

Items left to eat : muller light. Will have that later this evening.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Dinner was an epic fail. Stir fry chicken, stir fry veg, and boiled rice, all covered in chinese 5 spices. I managed to stir fry reasonably well without any oil (had to keep putting water in the frying pan), but the end result, although it looked appetising, tasted really bland and crap. Conclusion - don't attempt stir fry when you can't use any sauces.

Surely you can use soy sauce if you can use salt? Confusing diet :p:
Original post by whitepearlbaby
Surely you can use soy sauce if you can use salt? Confusing diet :p:

I know, bonkers isn't it. I specifically rang up to ask a few things about the diet that were confusing me :

-can you have diet fizzy drinks? (yes)
-can you have soy sauce, woucestershire sauce, stock cubes, gravy etc? (no)
-can you use fry light? (no)
-are the weights of vegetables cooked or uncooked weights (uncooked)

so there you have it. Why you can't have soy is beyond me but I suppose there's a reason.

The pre-op diet is supposedly to shrink the liver, though I don't really see how that works. Mind you I'm not a dietician, or a surgeon for that matter lol. So who knows!
why are you doing a pre op diet if you arent having a op (or are you and ive just missed it lol)

and you can have fizzy drinks but not fry light? :eek:
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
why are you doing a pre op diet if you arent having a op (or are you and ive just missed it lol)

and you can have fizzy drinks but not fry light? :eek:

my husband is having his op 2 weeks today. I'm doing the diet with him in solidarity because he would struggle with it if I was eating delicious food in front of him. It was painful enough as it was to watch the kids eat their carbonara for dinner!

You can have diet fizzy drinks yeh, not sugary ones. Sugar isn't allowed, artificial sweetener is ok.
my husband is having his op 2 weeks today. I'm doing the diet with him in solidarity because he would struggle with it if I was eating delicious food in front of him. It was painful enough as it was to watch the kids eat their carbonara for dinner!

You can have diet fizzy drinks yeh, not sugary ones. Sugar isn't allowed, artificial sweetener is ok.

oh right i see! good luck to your hubby for whatever OP hes having and good on you for doing the diet with him

Interesting factoid...on the nutritional label, pepsi max contains...nothing.

Literally nothing!?!
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
oh right i see! good luck to your hubby for whatever OP hes having and good on you for doing the diet with him

thank you. he's having gastric sleeve done. He has lost 5 stone this past year himself, so it's not as though he isn't putting the effort in, but the doctors urged him to have the surgery done anyway, because every day that he is this size is a day closer to a potential heart attack, even despite the 5 stone loss. He's gone from 33 stone to 28 stone so far.

I'm hoping it gives us all, as a family, a new lease on life. Okay he didn't have to get to this size in the first place, but hindsight is a marvellous thing really, I just hope the op goes safely now and that the weight comes off him quickly.
I'm his carer at the moment, and it's very tiring along with having the kids to look after, and it's not much fun for him either. It might be self inflicted, but it's too late to dwell on that really, I just want to concentrate on getting him better again.
Original post by mikestraws

Literally nothing!?!

say what? :s-smilie:

Literally nothing!?!

Flavoured water ftw :cool:

Literally nothing!?!

Aye diet coke has hardly anything in it too, like .5 cals I think

PMP - guidelines seem a bit stupid, 1 cal spray isn't going to harm. Nor is a dash of sauce or gravy (provided its not every meal)
Original post by commandant
Aye diet coke has hardly anything in it too, like .5 cals I think

PMP - guidelines seem a bit stupid, 1 cal spray isn't going to harm. Nor is a dash of sauce or gravy (provided its not every meal)

well there must be some good reason. The purpose of the pre-op diet is actually to shrink the liver, so maybe oil hinders that in some way.

Obviously I am not bothered about my liver shrinking, but as I'm doing it along with my other half I might as well do it properly.

Right :

weight : 10 stone 8lbs 8oz

total deficit so far during this contest : 1lb 12oz

currently munching my 30g cornflakes for breakfast. Piddly amount if you ask me!
Fair enough, best to listen to them!

Just another comment while I'm here, cornflakes isn't a very nutritious breakfast at all, is that part of the diet then?
Original post by commandant
Fair enough, best to listen to them!

Just another comment while I'm here, cornflakes isn't a very nutritious breakfast at all, is that part of the diet then?

Breakfast

30g non sugar-coated and nut-free cereal e.g. porridge oats, ready brek, branflakes, rice crispies, special k, cornflakes, shreddies, sultana bran
or
1 and a half weetabix or shredded wheat
or1 portion of fruit
or
1 diet yoghurt
or
1 small slice bread or roll

hubby is opting for branflakes. I'm opting for cornflakes because I'm not exactly fond of branflakes, they're pretty boring.
Might buy some sultana bran though, would make a change.
Keep going you're doing well :biggrin: xx
Reply 58
Branflakes kick cornflakes' ass. Porridge is the awesomez, but probably not if you're not allowed to add sugar or fruit :frown:
thanks angel x

cirs - yeh I don't fancy plain porridge lol.

LUNCH :

Yes, that is mash made without any butter. Just potato, and milk.

Quick Reply

Latest