The Student Room Group

OCR MEI M2 13th Jan

Post-exam discussion for M2 (MEI).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Question 4 on momentum was nasty.
isn't momentum usually the first question??
Reply 2
is this the paper with the final question being a projectile question?
Reply 3
Original post by hvg1
is this the paper with the final question being a projectile question?

No, that might be M1.
Anyway the last question was on impact with in smooth wall.
Reply 4
no must be non mei paper. whats the difference? just sat it, it was a pretty hard paper.
Reply 5
Original post by hvg1
no must be non mei paper. whats the difference? just sat it, it was a pretty hard paper.

why the the paper that you sit is like a 1000 times harder than other past papers.
Reply 6
i know what you mean it had alot of weird questions. the schools dont give you practice in the new different ways the questions are set out in.
its like standard questions from 2005-2010, then they suddenly switch up the question structure. its frustrating.
Reply 7
i think a larger backlog of specimin papers would be helpful.
Reply 8
That was horrible.

BUT.

A lot of the geniuses in my class (and I mean people who usually get 68+ on past papers, without notes) found it difficult, too.

So we may be in luck when it comes to grade boundaries.

Also, is it just me or were a lot of the unknown angles throughout the paper ridiculously small?
Reply 9
totally failed this exam, definite june resit, I could do the first question, 2/3 of the second question, none of the third question, and a little bit of the last question. Are we aloud to discuss this? because i was extremely confused by the last part of the last question
Reply 10
Original post by skibur
totally failed this exam, definite june resit, I could do the first question, 2/3 of the second question, none of the third question, and a little bit of the last question. Are we aloud to discuss this? because i was extremely confused by the last part of the last question

yes the exams over so we can discuss it

Is it me or was the momentum question incredibly difficult.
its not usually that difficult on past papers.
Reply 11
Original post by albus

So much for two ice skaters colliding :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by albus

It was horrible.

Had no idea whether I was supposed to use energy or whatever~ XD
Reply 13
has anyone got a copy of the paper to upload
ooo sounds like a cruel mistress, she ain't been kind to ya :wink:
Reply 15
anyone got an idea of the UMS boundaries this paper
Reply 16
Original post by albus
anyone got an idea of the UMS boundaries this paper

hopefully 10/72 for an A, i think if that where the case i'd be in with a fighting chance!:wink:
I'm really not sure what to make of it! Any idea of grade boundaries? Hated the last question, the first part was okay but the end - couldn't do it.
Reply 18
I needed 90% for this exam
doesn't look very likely I'll get it
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
paper wasn't actually that difficult, just had to use your initiative,
saying that i couldn't do the last 3 marker, prove tana = ...

First question was pretty easy ... the angle of the slope was shallow can't remember exactly

Second question - CoM ... was pretty easy aswell ... even though it was strange finding the angle wasn't too hard for both of them the last one (where it tipped)was like ... Tan-1(0.1/Z) can't remember what Z was but again it turned out to be a shallow angle ...

Third question - seemed to be one of the harder moment questions i done can only remember for the very last bit the angle of the T was at 19.1 or something 19 something and T was like 522??? something like that hense the co-eff of friction was just (522sin19.1/R). R was like ... 320?? so whatever that equals ... 0.533 or something like that ...

4th was alright but had to read 3 or 4 times to understand what the question was asking
went 0.02m into the wood, acceleration was like 20 something so the time was really short ..
The second part where they didnt stick together i can't remember it but i used simultaneous equations i remember them both going forwards still although that seemed strange ( worked out the mass to check to make sure it was correct )
the bouncing off the wall in terms of e and u was piece of cake ...
Then BAM tana=1/rte ... you had to use tana = 1/tan(90-a) but i didn't know that so probs lost the marks ... very last question was just as 1/tan(<45) = > 1 and e can't be above 1

HOPE I HELPED GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply