The Student Room Group

Freddie Flintoff: Hidden Side of Sport

Anyone tune into this on Wednesday?

A decent show although a few disappointments of it. Firstly, I was really surprised that Marcus Trescothick who was the first sports star to really suffer from depression, anxiety etc that he wasn't even interviewed. It would have been good to hear from him as his story is wel publicised.

Secondly, I felt Flintoff's revelation that he was depressed in 2006-07 brings a hint of cynicism from myself. Admittedly, I can understand why he would have felt utter low morale with the humbling they got in the Ashes, and the pressure of captaincy. But I feel it was more the latter. Flintoff should never have been made captain so I think it was struggling with the pressures of captaincy rather all out-depression. I'm not familiar with the physical effects of depression but Harmison seemed to suffer from panic attacks and anxiety attacks mainly with a touch of depression.

Thirdly, I didn't really think Barry McGuigan said out-right that he was depressed just that he suffered from the pressure. But it was made out after his segment that he suffered from it.

But on the positives, good to see likes of Graham Dott, Hatton, and Harmison in a better place.

Thoughts?
Original post by Aky786UK
x

I was very upset with the retirement of Marcus, to date he is my favorite English batsmen I still remember his last innings when he went for a golden duck against Australia, he didn't look himself to be honest. Good to see he continued with county cricket at Somerset.

I agree with the points with Freddie, as there was a lot on his shoulders seeing as he was the spearhead of the winning of the ashes, a lot was expected of him.

I felt what happened to Harmison was a shame, didn't think of it as an panic attack/anixety but makes sense now i think of it. Btw I didn't watch the show but i've always had a keen interest in depression in sport since Marcus's story hit the media. I don't think Marcus is the first sportsman to have depression. Frank Bruno also suffered from depression but that was apparently mainly due to his previous cocaine addition and bipolar disorder apparently. Still to this day feel very sorry for Marcus and what happened to him, still a legend in my books!

Glad to see someone else has similar thoughts :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by JulietAlphaGolf

Btw I didn't watch the show but i've always had a keen interest in depression in sport since Marcus's story hit the media. I don't think Marcus is the first sportsman to have depression. Frank Bruno also suffered from depression but that was apparently mainly due to his previous cocaine addition and bipolar disorder apparently. Still to this day feel very sorry for Marcus and what happened to him, still a legend in my books!

Glad to see someone else has similar thoughts :smile:

Trescothick is strong as ever, he's still going strong with Somerset and seeing him play suggests he could still play for England. Always tough to nudge from the crease when he's connecting with the bat.
Reply 3
I thought it was great.

As a sufferer of depression myself I found the show really moving in and even cryed a bit throughout.

I totally agree with the Mcguigan (sp) thing. His depression I don't think was so much a mental health problem, just the current pressure he was going through. Hopefully shows like this will help break down the stigmatism and guys can start admitting how they feel.

Also, I know Peirs Morgan has now changed his tune but I still hate him. Massive ****.

Quick Reply

Latest