The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Got rejected by Warwick, Leeds and Birmingham while being offered unconditionally to Liverpool and Manchester.

Manchester should be my firm choice i guess.
Original post by Elle408
The numbers may be false but I think the general point is relevant. Even more so going by your figures. You'd have to be particularly spectacular to be one of the 400 applicants accepted and not one of the 2500 unsuccessful applicants.

This is one of four posts that this poster has made today with just plain inaccurate statements

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=35837006&postcount=21

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=35837168&postcount=790

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=35837039&postcount=4

I have commented on the first of these. Someone has given her a neg for the second (Kevin Gray the senior director of studies at Trinity is probably the leading current textbook author for land law, one of the other DofS has published a casebook on family law; all of them have published widely and the reason they have been appointed without PhD's is because they were so talented they were hired without having to do a PhD) and an experienced practising lawyer has pointed out why the third is totally wrong.

King's is competitive. There is no doubt about that. One of the ways in which the posting is misleading is that it massively understates just how competitive it is. The comment about the LNAT score is just plain wrong. Universities including King's do not simply count numbers of A levels. They know full well that many candidates do not have the opportunity to do more than three A levels. I have never seen it suggested that that King's has a science bias in recruiting for law.
Offer from Southampton! Best form of motivation for revision!
Reply 2023
Original post by nulli tertius
Please ignore the above post which is rubbish.

I am not going to comment on everything but King's received in total for its law undergraduate degrees in 2010, 2908 applicants. By UCAS figures it admitted 371 students. By its own figures it admitted 408. Presumably the difference represented people admitted through special schemes not involving UCAS.

Not sure how accurate this is but a friend in 1st year Law at KCL told me that this year they are drastically reducing the intake (she stated by half). She also told me her classes are at Waterloo but they were moving to Somerset House soon. Perhaps their new posh surroundings have led them to upgrade both their min requirement and reduce numbers. They apparently want to compete with UCL & LSE for Law. Again the girl who told me this is very nice but how true it all is I cannot say.

Their Law dept surroundings have had a reputation for being pretty dire, to say the least, for a number of years and that has held the Law dept back in many ways, at least by their own admission.

I was pooled then rejected by Cam, rejected by LSE, waiting UCL & Notts but have an uncond offer from KCL. So I am hoping that the above is true :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2024
Original post by Harry.K
Offer from Southampton! Best form of motivation for revision!

Congratulations on the offer!
Original post by Potsui
Not sure how accurate this is but a friend in 1st year Law at KCL told me that this year they are drastically reducing the intake (she stated by half). She also told me her classes are at Waterloo but they were moving to Somerset House soon. Perhaps their new posh surroundings have led them to upgrade both their min requirement and reduce numbers. They apparently want to compete with UCL & LSE for Law. Again the girl who told me this is very nice but how true it all is I cannot say.

I was pooled then rejected by Cam, rejected by LSE, waiting UCL & Notts but have an uncond offer from KCL. So I am hoping that the above is true :smile:.

They may well be cutting the numbers of places, but the number of applicants isn't in their gift.
Reply 2026
They may well be cutting the numbers of places, but the number of applicants isn't in their gift.

When I say 'intake' I mean places of course. Never mentioned applicants, no idea how many applications this year obviously.
Original post by Potsui
When I say 'intake' I mean places of course. Never mentioned applicants, no idea how many applications this year obviously.

I appreciate you didn't but this little sub-thread started with someone who gave an unrealistically low number of applicants.
Reply 2028
I appreciate you didn't but this little sub-thread started with someone who gave an unrealistically low number of applicants.

Ah ok, got it no problem :smile:.
Changing the topic slightly, and going back a few comments, how much do universities use the essay of the LNAT? I do have 3 offers - Leeds, Exeter and Reading, but I got those really quickly after my application, all within 2 weeks (which I understand is quite quickly, so I assume they liked my PS), but I did my LNAT on the 28th December, and I'm pretty sure I wrote a really horrible essay.

I got about 600 words, but they were all a bit nothing-y until 6 minutes before the end. But I would REEEEALLY love an offer from Birmingham. And I have no idea about the multiple choice - the ones I did beforehand I was getting 29-30 most of the time, but I'm pretty certain I've cocked up the essay. So what I'm really asking is if anybody knows how much emphasis they put on the essay, or if they take into account that for young people, all of a sudden writing an exam essay on a computer, a form which your used to having hours to spend on an essay normally, which did make me feel odd, and that they may have written essays before, but had nobody to mark them/give advice? or that they might have just written an awful essay without meaning to or showing themselves to the best of their ability :frown:

Also, will they compare the PS to the essay and maybe think that if I only wrote an essay like that I might not have done my PS myself? Because I really only had a tiny bit of help with organisation of where to put what in my PS, but it was much more of my own work than most of my friends and it actually really represented me very well. I'm just worried that my poor essay might discredit it? :/
I too would like to know how important LNAT's essay is. I panicked in the exam when I saw 10 minutes remaining for the essay and I just typed in points I have no idea whether it's relevant or not.

Also, between Liverpool or Cardiff, which is a better insurance choice? As I am an international student, I am unable to visit them during their open days. So my decision is pretty much based on word of mouth.
Original post by d_aan
Congratulations on the offer!

Thank you! Have you got any offers yet?
Reply 2032
Original post by Akiraryuu
Ah, hope so. After all, no news for now is good news :smile: I applied to Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff, Nottingham and UCL. Got offers from the first three now waiting for the latter two. What about you? :biggrin:

Congrats on your offers so far. :biggrin: I've applied to Surrey, Sheffield, Oxford Brookes, Warwick and Nottingham- had conditional offers from all of them. :smile:
Original post by fishfan01
Changing the topic slightly, and going back a few comments, how much do universities use the essay of the LNAT? I do have 3 offers - Leeds, Exeter and Reading, but I got those really quickly after my application, all within 2 weeks (which I understand is quite quickly, so I assume they liked my PS), but I did my LNAT on the 28th December, and I'm pretty sure I wrote a really horrible essay.

I got about 600 words, but they were all a bit nothing-y until 6 minutes before the end. But I would REEEEALLY love an offer from Birmingham. And I have no idea about the multiple choice - the ones I did beforehand I was getting 29-30 most of the time, but I'm pretty certain I've cocked up the essay. So what I'm really asking is if anybody knows how much emphasis they put on the essay, or if they take into account that for young people, all of a sudden writing an exam essay on a computer, a form which your used to having hours to spend on an essay normally, which did make me feel odd, and that they may have written essays before, but had nobody to mark them/give advice? or that they might have just written an awful essay without meaning to or showing themselves to the best of their ability :frown:

Also, will they compare the PS to the essay and maybe think that if I only wrote an essay like that I might not have done my PS myself? Because I really only had a tiny bit of help with organisation of where to put what in my PS, but it was much more of my own work than most of my friends and it actually really represented me very well. I'm just worried that my poor essay might discredit it? :/

[QUOTE="Akiraryuu;35838921"]I too would like to know how important LNAT's essay is. I panicked in the exam when I saw 10 minutes remaining for the essay and I just typed in points I have no idea whether it's relevant or not.

The significance placed on the LNAT really does differ uni-to-uni. For example, Oxford tend to put more emphasis on the essay section as it reflects the nature of the course there better than the multiple choice. In terms of the role it plays, again, it depends. At my Oxford interview I asked what score I got and they couldn't remember because they only use it prior to interviews to split candidates and will only resort to using it post-interview as a tie-breaker. I wouldn't worry too much about your performance on it, if you had a bad day the rest of your application should make up for it (if you put effort into your PS and have good references etc). Good luck :smile:
Reply 2034
I received yesterday an email from King's college London and they told me that my application was being carefully considered.

Has anyone received the same email ?

Do you think that it's a good sign ?
Original post by ambye
I received yesterday an email from King's college London and they told me that my application was being carefully considered.

Has anyone received the same email ?

Do you think that it's a good sign ?

If you only just sent your application a few days ago then it simply is an acknowledgement which everyone gets.
[QUOTE="jamestwob;35839758"]
Original post by Akiraryuu
I too would like to know how important LNAT's essay is. I panicked in the exam when I saw 10 minutes remaining for the essay and I just typed in points I have no idea whether it's relevant or not.

The significance placed on the LNAT really does differ uni-to-uni. For example, Oxford tend to put more emphasis on the essay section as it reflects the nature of the course there better than the multiple choice. In terms of the role it plays, again, it depends. At my Oxford interview I asked what score I got and they couldn't remember because they only use it prior to interviews to split candidates and will only resort to using it post-interview as a tie-breaker. I wouldn't worry too much about your performance on it, if you had a bad day the rest of your application should make up for it (if you put effort into your PS and have good references etc). Good luck :smile:

Thankyou!

I know it hasn't really been that long since I did it, and they must have a lot of applications to be dealing with right now, I'm just the sort of person who can get into a panic about these kinds of things really easily - by the time I got my GCSE results, I'd convinced myself I was getting all Ds and Es. I got A*s and As. I've found myself checking at midnight on Sundays :L.

Also your tone is much nicer than my mum's 'why haven't they gotten back to you by now' stressful stance :L
Reply 2037
Original post by PVisitors
Prestige; Newcastle
Social life; Newcastle
Employability; Newcastle.

No contest.

cheers man :smile: x
Reply 2038
Original post by acidicgirl
If you only just sent your application a few days ago then it simply is an acknowledgement which everyone gets.

No I sent my application on the 6th december and I have already received a welcome letter from King's on the 8th december.
Original post by ambye
No I sent my application on the 6th december and I have already received a welcome letter from King's on the 8th december.

What does it say? AFAIK, King's don't operate a gathered field and don't send a second email either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending