TSR Horse Owners' Society Thread!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Botticello
Gorgeous! :daydreaming:

Welsh section D's are lovely, my riding school owner has a few:
3 year old gelding Clydesdale-esque:

Spoiler

And this 9 year old mare is 6 months in foal, I almost never say this about a horse but :yucky: Everyone else at the yard worships her though :rolleyes:

Spoiler

9 year old mare is beautiful :love::lovedup2:
Original post by Superlogon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_kgW07hm_g

Here's a fun video of my horse Al Jood. The videos quite old but i can't be bothered to get the ol' photobucket up and running! :biggrin:

She's such a character and is always so happy :smile:

Your Mare is gorgeous!! She most definitely looks happy :biggrin: hehehe
Gorgeous! :daydreaming:

Welsh section D's are lovely, my riding school owner has a few:
3 year old gelding Clydesdale-esque:

Spoiler

And this 9 year old mare is 6 months in foal, I almost never say this about a horse but :yucky: Everyone else at the yard worships her though :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Both of your Horses are lovely, but I can certainly see why your Mare is worshiped!!
Hope all goes well with Foalie :smile:
Original post by Guin
My little tank :biggrin:

Awww, your Horse is lush :biggrin:
Reply 184
Going riding tomorrow. :colone:

Just moved to a new area so I'm still discovering the local hunts.

Didn't ride at all last year because of exams, but it is so good to get back in the saddle!

I miss my old horse Charlie, he was thirty when I had him, but he was a firecracker, behaved like a six year-old. Loved him to bits! :sad:

<3 x
Original post by bella127
Yep, its really nice! I went and had a play round the baby field before his loaner took him out over the proper jumps :wink:

Here's a few recent pics of Freddie and a few of the others I have been lucky enough to play with..

Wow, some impressive Horsies!! :smile:
I do have a soft spot for Welsh Cobs though :tongue: lol
Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~
Both of your Horses are lovely, but I can certainly see why your Mare is worshiped!!
Hope all goes well with Foalie :smile:

They're the riding school owners not mine. Will be exciting to have a foal around though, there are about 4 horses there now who have been there since they were babies, I was about 10 - 13 when they were born. >.<
They're the riding school owners not mine. Will be exciting to have a foal around though, there are about 4 horses there now who have been there since they were babies, I was about 10 - 13 when they were born. >.<

Awww, how exciting though :biggrin:
i'll show one that was the closest to mine - on part loan 2 years ago. He is called Blue, is 15.2hh and a Connemara X. He's recently been sent to the horse hospital for scaqns so I'm hoping he'll be fine. He gives you a kiss when you give him a treat and has a tendency to run away when you're leading him back in on the path from the field (I've had a lot of rope burn!)
Reply 189
Hey, let me introduce you to my sweety one.
His name´s Grand National (he had that Name before I own him, so it´not my fault :tongue:)

He´s turning 24 :eek: (omg times´s running) in 12 days.

i'll show one that was the closest to mine - on part loan 2 years ago. He is called Blue, is 15.2hh and a Connemara X. He's recently been sent to the horse hospital for scaqns so I'm hoping he'll be fine. He gives you a kiss when you give him a treat and has a tendency to run away when you're leading him back in on the path from the field (I've had a lot of rope burn!)

Aww, Hope He's ok :smile: Yes, rope burn is not nice!! Though I tend to end up with my nose or toes broken - which isn't so fun either :tongue: lol
Original post by German_Saskia
Hey, let me introduce you to my sweety one.
His name´s Grand National (he had that Name before I own him, so it´not my fault :tongue:)

He´s turning 24 :eek: (omg times´s running) in 12 days.

Happy Belated 24th Birthday Grand National!! :tongue:
Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~
Aww, Hope He's ok :smile: Yes, rope burn is not nice!! Though I tend to end up with my nose or toes broken - which isn't so fun either :tongue: lol

An instructor was telling me she was judging a x country fence and the horse came in way too fast and actually hit full on and flipped onto its back. The horse was lying frozen with his legs in the air and they spent ages trying to find the rider, and it turned out she was underneath the horse who scared to move in case he crushed her!

Ah I'm so glad im leaving uni soon so I can get good at riding again!
Hi guys, can I join you? :smile:
I'm from France but am studying in England at the moment. I've had to leave my pony in France unfortunately as financially it wouldn't have been possible to bring him here. Pesch is a 14.2hh lewitzer pony and I've had him for 9 years. I miss him soooo much though.
34925_10150208188610062_640805061_13276877_5529469_n.jpg
I also broke in and competed my instructor's pony, Priam for 3 years, she's now been loaned to a young rider who's bringing her on to get her on the french show jumping team. :smile:
2785_161710645061_640805061_6438380_6308134_n.jpg
And right now I'm riding a pony 4-5 times a week in exchange of mucking him out a couple of times a week. The livery yard is like a 5 minute cycle away from uni so it's pretty cool. He's come all the way from Italy and he's an absolute sweetie, love him to bits. He's been out of proper work for 3 months so we're taking things slowly but he has a really good jump apparently so I can't wait to see how it goes. :smile:
Your horses all look lovely, and happy (early) B-day to Grand National. :smile:
Reply 194
Heya, I only just found this thread as I spend most of my life in the veterinary ones, it isnt too late to join is it?
I have a polish arabian mare called libbi (11 yrs old) and a welsh cob x tb called sox (24 yrs old)
I do dressage on both of them but retired sox in april to bring my mare on! does anyone know how i can calm her canter down? shes so excitable!
33426_405859523906_740668906_4676891_6703894_n.jpg
221934_10150166548308907_740668906_7029051_7056869_n.jpg
Original post by kalouki10
Heya, I only just found this thread as I spend most of my life in the veterinary ones, it isnt too late to join is it?
I have a polish arabian mare called libbi (11 yrs old) and a welsh cob x tb called sox (24 yrs old)
I do dressage on both of them but retired sox in april to bring my mare on! does anyone know how i can calm her canter down? shes so excitable!
33426_405859523906_740668906_4676891_6703894_n.jpg
221934_10150166548308907_740668906_7029051_7056869_n.jpg

To calm a canter down there's a few things you can do - obviously which method works for you depends entirely on your Horse and how you Ride :tongue:

If you Lunge Her and start putting poles out it might help Her to start paying attention to where She's putting Her feet as opposed to rushing :smile:
Also, an excitable canter can sometimes be mistaken for a rushed canter, so you might want to double check Her Tack is all correctly fitting etc - sometimes even a Bit can make the difference in how a Horse goes :smile:
Sometimes some Horses need a good blast to get the excitability out of Their system before settling down, so if there is a safe, enclosed area to do so you could always go for a nice gallop before a schooling session - though in some cases that can help aggravate a situation with excitability so perhaps save that one for a last resort if you're a very confident Rider :tongue: lol.
From experience, sometimes a nice Jumping session before flatwork schooling, or even during flatwork schooling, can help Horse to relax a little and accept the flatwork since Jumping can stimulate some Horses to help Them listen to the Rider - though again, Jumping can also wind some Horses up beyond the point of control, and some Horses may not even enjoy Jumping, so obviously that depends entirely on your Horse :tongue:
Sometimes Horses can rush the canter whilst doing flatwork schooling simply because They're bored - so perhaps try doing more school figures like figures of eight, serpentines, 10/15/20m circles etc. Just to try to get Her attention focused more on what she's doing than where She wants to go, if that makes sense :tongue: And doing more schooling based on containing the energy and turning it into impulsion not speed can help too - working on the bit and having a go at Dressage movements like shoulder-in, half-pass, turn on the forehand, flying changes, even Piaffe/ Passage if you're more advanced can help engage the Horse in the work it's doing so may even improve Dressage scores too :smile:

If none of these things work for you there's a lot more things you can try, just a case of reading appropriate books on schooling and I would suggest if you just can't seem to get your Horse out of rushing perhaps invest in a change of bit, or better still, book some Riding Lessons with an approved professional Instructor who can watch what's goin on and advise you from there - All the Best!! Hope your Dressage goes well :biggrin: Your Horses sound lovely!!
Original post by coffee cup
Hi guys, can I join you? :smile:
I'm from France but am studying in England at the moment. I've had to leave my pony in France unfortunately as financially it wouldn't have been possible to bring him here. Pesch is a 14.2hh lewitzer pony and I've had him for 9 years. I miss him soooo much though.
34925_10150208188610062_640805061_13276877_5529469_n.jpg
I also broke in and competed my instructor's pony, Priam for 3 years, she's now been loaned to a young rider who's bringing her on to get her on the french show jumping team. :smile:
2785_161710645061_640805061_6438380_6308134_n.jpg
And right now I'm riding a pony 4-5 times a week in exchange of mucking him out a couple of times a week. The livery yard is like a 5 minute cycle away from uni so it's pretty cool. He's come all the way from Italy and he's an absolute sweetie, love him to bits. He's been out of proper work for 3 months so we're taking things slowly but he has a really good jump apparently so I can't wait to see how it goes. :smile:
Your horses all look lovely, and happy (early) B-day to Grand National. :smile:

Your Horse looks gorgeous!! And the Pony in the bottom photo looks lovely too :biggrin: Sooo sorri to hear you had to leave your Horse behind - I couldn't cope without seeing my Horsies, let alone Them being in a different country, so I can't imagine how much you're missing Him :/
It's nearly Easter though so hopefully you'll get chance to go Home to see Him soon :smile: Glad to hear that you're still Riding and looking after Horses though!! So many ppl give up on Horses once they start Uni or new Jobs, it's nice to see someone who's still dedicated :biggrin: All the Best!!
An instructor was telling me she was judging a x country fence and the horse came in way too fast and actually hit full on and flipped onto its back. The horse was lying frozen with his legs in the air and they spent ages trying to find the rider, and it turned out she was underneath the horse who scared to move in case he crushed her!

Ah I'm so glad im leaving uni soon so I can get good at riding again!

Oh my gosh!! :eek: Hope the Horse and Rider were alright afterwards though!!
My old Horse somersaulted over me once, He did the same thing - lying on His back until He knew where I was, rolling over in the other direction so He wouldn't squish me; which would've been the easier option for Him at time - we're all mad having Horses!! :tongue: lol. But they're sooo worth it :biggrin: Yep, Good Luck with all the Riding you'll no doubt be doing in the glorious weather we're having atm :biggrin:
Reply 198
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8 :biggrin:

warning: contains strong language from the start, viewer discretion is advised
Reply 199
thank you, i have checked her tack, her teeth and her back and all are fine. I would love to lunge her over poles but sadly shes a little bit special and is spooked by them -.- last time i tried she reared...kinda put me off of it =') i could gallop her but she has a tendency to spook at stupid things and also if she sees another horse she throws a tantrum and canters off without stopping
the dressage movements work really well for her in trot, however in canter its so uncontrollable sometimes i cant get her to perform a movement. I have absolutely no idea how to calm her down, there are some days when she is really good and can do canter leg yield and shoulder in, however there are other days when im just bucked around the school for hours =/
i have been told its her breeding as she was originally bred for being a racehorse however a leg injury meant she cannot put too much strain on her leg and consequently i cant even try jumping her to calm her down. she is a polish arab btw
i have considered that it is my riding and although she behaves more for me than anybody else who sits on her, i find im becoming increasingly frustrated at myself as i feel like im letting both my horse and me down
i guess i will start trying to ask for canter pirouettes soon as that requires collection and concentration however she is a very fast learner and will be bored of that by the time she has learnt it =/
thank you for your advice though, if her leg was up to jumping and she wasnt so spooky i would definitely try some of your ideas =)

Quick Reply

Latest