The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by la-dauphine
No, I didn't think that they "just weren't allowed to go out". Like I said, I don't know if that's true.

But you thought it was a possibility :wink:

Surely you can find it if you want to verify it? It was written in June. Why would I fabricate something like this? I have nothing against Merton. I'm just trying to give this applicant some light advice.

You'll have to forgive me for being so accusing but, you have to understand, these kind of things do get exaggerated/made up. A lot. I mean, you thought Merton might have had a curfew - so that's pretty self-evident! Besides, it sounds like an interesting article, so i'd like to see it.

Couldn't find it on Oxstu or Cherwell websites though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
But you thought it was a possibility :wink:

You'll have to forgive me for being so accusing but, you have to understand, these kind of things do get exaggerated/made up. A lot. I mean, you thought Merton might have had a curfew - so that's pretty self-evident! Besides, it sounds like an interesting article, so i'd like to see it.

Couldn't find it on Oxstu or Cherwell websites though.

Yeah I'm not sure where it is, it was one of those newspapers, I picked it up outside the loos in St Hilda's when I was having a look round :tongue: I do remember that the article also said that a third of students at New College have household incomes of over £150,000....that's all I can recall though!
Reply 2342
St Hilda's 'Loo News'?
Haha, that would be brilliant.
Reply 2344
They really do have 'Loo News' stuck in every cubicle for a bit of light reading when students are 'dropping off the kids at the pool'!
Original post by Lizzy12
'dropping off the kids at the pool'

:rofl:
Reply 2347
Original post by ToxicFrog

As you've said:
Original post by ToxicFrog

The course is meant for working professionals, and it's part time and flexible.

So is the College. Kellogg have many part-time students who work and attend in flexible modes. As others have said, it might suit you very well.
I've been pooled to St. Catz and although I am overjoyed to have an offer, part of my fascination with Oxford stems from the beautiful old buildings and 'oldness' in general, so will attending a modern college not allow me to experience the traditional side of things?
Original post by bluepenguin
I've been pooled to St. Catz and although I am overjoyed to have an offer, part of my fascination with Oxford stems from the beautiful old buildings and 'oldness' in general, so will attending a modern college not allow me to experience the traditional side of things?

What do you consider to be the 'traditional side of things'? If you are only talking about living around old buildings then just being in Oxford will be far more exposure than 99.9% of the world gets.

Catz is a nice college - you'll have a good time.
Original post by bluepenguin

Not at all! I'm a historian so my fascination with 'oldness' is pretty high too, but my time at Catz has still been awesome and I haven't regretted applying here for a second. It's important to remember that although you might live in a modern college, you can go visit any of the older colleges at any time and soak up the atmosphere - you're in no way isolated from the traditional side! And in the mean time, Catz provides some of the day-to-day modern comforts (such as double glazing, decent heating, en suites, cheap but good food, and one of the best-supplied common rooms in the city) that some of the other colleges lack. True, our use of ritual and tradition isn't as high as elsewhere - you won't be wearing your gown to dinner, for example - but again, it's really easy to go visit friends in other colleges if you want to experience that. And we do have our own traditions, such as rivalry with Magdalen and celebrating the feast of St Catherine's with a massive formal party.

You are in no way going to miss out on anything by going to a college that isn't one of the big famous ones. Catz is genuinely a brilliant place to belong to, all colleges have their downsides of course but being modern isn't intrinsically one of them. In fact, judging how bloody cold it is at the minute when I go and visit my friends elsewhere, compared to my lovely toasty room, I'd say the upsides are pretty sweet :wink:
I tried to put this in the Colleges board but it won't let me :s-smilie:

So basically, here's the situation: I applied to Wadham College this year, got an interview and then got rejected. I absolutely adored Wadham and it's made me want to re-apply to Oxford next year (please don't discuss whether or not I should be re-applying because I've already decided etc). However, I've been told that I shouldn't apply to Wadham again because they are massively oversubscribed for English (which is what I'm applying for) and also if they realise I was rejected they could instantly reject me or compare me to how I did and if I'm not hugely better reject me :frown:

So, here's what I want from a college:

Pretty. Yeah yeah probably a really bad reason to pick somewhere but I don't want to stay in a big ugly building when all of the other colleges are pretty :frown:

Good location. I liked where Wadham was... I imagine they all have a good location but I would not be happy being really far away from everything like St Hugh's.

Left-wing Would not be happy in a college full of Rahs etc, I'm fairly left-wing (though not too politically active).

High proportion of state-school students For the same reason as above really.

I just want a fun college like Wadham :frown: help!
Reply 2352
It's difficult to know what other colleges are really like, but Mansfield is pretty, round the corner from Wadham, and has the highest proportion of state school students. Baroness Helena Kennedy is our principal and I think she's a labour peer. Does that make us left wing?
Original post by hideousnight
I tried to put this in the Colleges board but it won't let me :s-smilie:

So basically, here's the situation: I applied to Wadham College this year, got an interview and then got rejected. I absolutely adored Wadham and it's made me want to re-apply to Oxford next year (please don't discuss whether or not I should be re-applying because I've already decided etc). However, I've been told that I shouldn't apply to Wadham again because they are massively oversubscribed for English (which is what I'm applying for) and also if they realise I was rejected they could instantly reject me or compare me to how I did and if I'm not hugely better reject me :frown:

So, here's what I want from a college:

Pretty. Yeah yeah probably a really bad reason to pick somewhere but I don't want to stay in a big ugly building when all of the other colleges are pretty :frown:

Good location. I liked where Wadham was... I imagine they all have a good location but I would not be happy being really far away from everything like St Hugh's.

Left-wing Would not be happy in a college full of Rahs etc, I'm fairly left-wing (though not too politically active).

High proportion of state-school students For the same reason as above really.

I just want a fun college like Wadham :frown: help!

Highest proportion of state school students:

Merton - 65.9%
Mansfield - 63.7%
Balliol - 63.2%
Hertford - 60.8%
Wadham - 60.6% - already applied there so no for you
Jesus - 60.3%
St Anne's - 58.9%
St Johns - 58.8%
Worcester - 58.7%

I haven't seen all of these but I will say that Balliol, Merton, St Johns and Worcester are very nice. Hertford, Mansfield and Jesus aren't bad either. St Anne's is a modern college so go for that if it is your thing.

Balliol, Hertford, Jesus and Merton are very central. But none of these are far out colleges so all are pretty central.

Ok now for some generalisations. This is where my actual opinion and facts go out of the window and I give into stereotypes. Honestly there will be all types of people at every college but: Balliol is apparently one of the most lefty colleges, Hertford is state schooly and northern, Mansfield is friendly, Jesus is the welsh college, Merton works its undergrads to death, St Johns is extremely rich and has lots of state schoolers.

Hope this helped a little, quote me if you need anything else :tongue:
Original post by fudgesundae

Merton - 65.9%
Mansfield - 63.7%
Balliol - 63.2%
Hertford - 60.8%
Jesus - 60.3%
St Anne's - 58.9%
St Johns - 58.8%
Worcester - 58.7%

I haven't seen all of these but I will say that Balliol, Merton, St Johns and Worcester are very nice. Hertford, Mansfield and Jesus aren't bad either. St Anne's is a modern college so go for that if it is your thing.

Balliol, Hertford, Jesus and Merton are very central. But none of these are far out colleges so all are pretty central.

Ok now for some generalisations. This is where my actual opinion and facts go out of the window and I give into stereotypes. Honestly there will be all types of people at every college but: Balliol is apparently one of the most lefty colleges, Hertford is state schooly and northern, Mansfield is friendly, Jesus is the welsh college, Merton works its undergrads to death, St Johns is extremely rich and has lots of state schoolers.

Thank you very much :biggrin: especially for the generalisations :tongue:

Merton - 65.9%
Mansfield - 63.7%
Balliol - 63.2%
Hertford - 60.8%
Jesus - 60.3%
St Anne's - 58.9%
St Johns - 58.8%
Worcester - 58.7%

Though Mansfield's most recent figure, for 2011 entrants, was 84.5%

http://www.mansfield.ox.ac.uk/about/news/article/article/mansfield-offers-845-of-its-places-in-2011-to-candidates-from-the-state-sector.html

your welcome :smile:

Wow thats crazy. I took the 2008-2010 3 year average.

Don't pay attention to generalizations. They are there for the entertainment of the gullible only.

In terms of 'prettiness' (definitely very important :wink: ), have you seen the Oxford virtual tour? Very useful.

Location you can see for yourself.
(edited 12 years ago)

Out of interest, what are the stereotypes of people at Worcester and at New? I know there are all types of people at every college but it might give me an idea of the general atmosphere of these two colleges.
Original post by ROBBY7896
Out of interest, what are the stereotypes of people at Worcester and at New? I know there are all types of people at every college but it might give me an idea of the general atmosphere of these two colleges.

Worcester - conservative (but not overly private school like New, Magdalen, ChCh), very sporty, laid back.

New - not really sure, I've heard, big, arrogant, private schooly, rich, fit girls.

Ill be starting at New from October so I guess ill find out then!

Quick Reply

Latest