The Student Room Group

Decent nights out in Cam

So over my first Michaelmas, I've tried Cindies, Life, Rev's, Lola and Fez. I especially dislike Cindies - I didn't like S Club 7 when I was 10, nor do I now. The others aren't quite so bad but all are pretty cheesy and none are really my thing. I'm not trying to suggest that I'm too cool for cheese (I'm really not cool), I just don't enjoy that sort of music no matter how drunk I am.

I'm wondering if there's anywhere good for drum and bass or anywhere with decent live bands? I'm not bothered what day of the week as I don't have a "regular fixture" which I especially enjoy so I'm pretty flexible. I've not managed to make it to Clare Cellars either, is it likely to be more my thing?

Cheers
Reply 1
Unhelpful comment of the week, but still: Whattt? They actually played S Club? I wish they'd ramp up the cheese factor when *I* go. :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by NS7
So over my first Michaelmas, I've tried Cindies, Life, Rev's, Lola and Fez. I especially dislike Cindies - I didn't like S Club 7 when I was 10, nor do I now. The others aren't quite so bad but all are pretty cheesy and none are really my thing. I'm not trying to suggest that I'm too cool for cheese (I'm really not cool), I just don't enjoy that sort of music no matter how drunk I am.

I'm wondering if there's anywhere good for drum and bass or anywhere with decent live bands? I'm not bothered what day of the week as I don't have a "regular fixture" which I especially enjoy so I'm pretty flexible. I've not managed to make it to Clare Cellars either, is it likely to be more my thing?

Cheers

Clare Cellars is really lovely. You should go as soon as you can.

Have you been to Kambar? People who hate the regular clubs often like it.
Reply 3
Original post by NS7

Cheers

I haven't been to Cindies since midway through first year and I actually like cheese. It's dire by pretty much anyone's standards, particularly if you go sober on a Thursday like I did once in first year. However, we now just go to Spoons on a Friday, which I don't think will be any better for you! Emma Ents certainly used to be very drum and bassish and we occasionally have good live bands, so maybe you should look at that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Clare Ents (Fridays) is always a good night, I've ended up going every week this term though I guess it's easier for me than most. I've yet to try Kambar but we're definitely planning on it next term, I'm getting equally sick of Cindies and Life.
Original post by Zoedotdot
I haven't been to Cindies since midway through first year and I actually like cheese. It's dire by pretty much anyone's standards, particularly if you go sober on a Thursday like I did once in first year. However, we now just go to Spoons on a Friday, which I don't think will be any better for you! Emma Ents certainly used to be very drum and bassish and we occasionally have good live bands, so maybe you should look at that?

Danger Spoons :eek:
Reply 6
Original post by Topaz_eyes
Danger Spoons :eek:

Yeah, we live on the edge...

Actually, the only danger in danger spoons is hearing loss :p: I'm always deaf for days after i go.
Reply 7
Original post by Zoedotdot
Yeah, we live on the edge...

Actually, the only danger in danger spoons is hearing loss :p: I'm always deaf for days after i go.

Haha, I'm playing dangerous by posting that to a mod.

:tongue:
Reply 8
Doesn't cover clubs, but you may find this useful:

http://www.cambridge-pubs.co.uk/

Of the pubs that are still open, I've done the green, the navy, most of the pink and yellow, and a few off the red and cyan.

Can anyone beat 67 pubs?
Reply 9
Someone has obviously never starred in Cindies Stories.
Kambar is shut :frown: There are now no longer any decent nights out in Cambridge. Fact.
Original post by FadeToBlackout
Kambar is shut :frown: There are now no longer any decent nights out in Cambridge. Fact.

Yay Kambar. Let's all wear thick-rimmed glasses, knitted jumpers and grow our hair in an erratic fashion.
There isn't one.
Reply 13
Original post by py0alb
Doesn't cover clubs, but you may find this useful:

http://www.cambridge-pubs.co.uk/

Of the pubs that are still open, I've done the green, the navy, most of the pink and yellow, and a few off the red and cyan.

Can anyone beat 67 pubs?

Man, I've only been to about 20 of those...
Original post by jjarvis
Man, I've only been to about 20 of those...

38 :redface:

And worked in 1 of them.

But it's a bit out-of-date; I went to the Penny Ferry about 4 years ago before it closed, The Graduate is now the Tivoli, various other ones have closed, renamed, or moved, etc.
Reply 15

And worked in 1 of them.

But it's a bit out-of-date; I went to the Penny Ferry about 4 years ago before it closed, The Graduate is now the Tivoli, various other ones have closed, renamed, or moved, etc.

We should do a new updated version.
Reply 16

And worked in 1 of them.

Do you know when the Penny Ferry changed name from the Pike & Eel?
Original post by AlexG55
Do you know when the Penny Ferry changed name from the Pike & Eel?

But then, it's still the P&E, in the same way that First Post corner is no longer by the first post, the Bus Shelter no longer exists, and no-one can see where Morley's Holt is- although it's plainly visible from the towpath- oops, I mean Halingway!

Quick Reply