The Student Room Group

AQA Core 3 Exam - 20/01/2012

so who's sitting this exam on 20th jan??
how do u all feel about C3??

drop us a post if u need any help and i'm pretty sure someone will be able to assist :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey I'm sitting this exam :smile:
I am usually fine with the range of functions but I got this question wrong...
f(x) = ln(5x-2), for all real values of x such that x>(or equal) 0.5
Then I had to find the range of f.
I nnow know the answer is ln0.5. However when you draw the graph does it not show that the x values can only start at 2. As I translated 2 in the x and then stretched 5 in the y, and so where the line couldn't touch 0 before it now can't touch 2. So I can't seem to see how this all works.

Any ideas?
Reply 2
Original post by Eddy!
Hey I'm sitting this exam :smile:
I am usually fine with the range of functions but I got this question wrong...
f(x) = ln(5x-2), for all real values of x such that x>(or equal) 0.5
Then I had to find the range of f.
I nnow know the answer is ln0.5. However when you draw the graph does it not show that the x values can only start at 2. As I translated 2 in the x and then stretched 5 in the y, and so where the line couldn't touch 0 before it now can't touch 2. So I can't seem to see how this all works.

Any ideas?

The important thing to notice is that although x is defined for all real values of x, it's main restriction is the fact that x=> 0.5.

So when you sketch it, you would sketch ln(5x-2) for which x=>0.5

So the range is: f(x)=> 1/2.

When you sketch this graph: you would sketch it based on the domain restriction, you wouldn't sketch the function: f(x)= ln(5x-2).
Reply 3
Original post by f1mad
The important thing to notice is that although x is defined for all real values of x, it's main restriction is the fact that x=> 0.5.

So when you sketch it, you would sketch ln(5x-2) for which x=>0.5

So the range is: f(x)=> 1/2.

When you sketch this graph: you would sketch it based on the domain restriction, you wouldn't sketch the function: f(x)= ln(5x-2).

Okay thanks. So when there is no domain given you would just sketch it given the transformations?
Reply 4
Original post by Eddy!
Okay thanks. So when there is no domain given you would just sketch it given the transformations?

If the domain is for all real values of x then yeah.
Reply 5
domain and range...they're simple enough but i still make stupid mistakes on them....i hope its a nice paper though - there are some vile past papers i've done! lmao
Reply 6
you know when they ask you to describe a series of transformations..does it matter which order u put them transformations in?
Original post by newskills
Quick question. If an answer asks for 3dp or 3sf, do you always do all your working to 4dp / 4sf?

Also if an iteration question involves trig, do you always work in radians?

Thanks

Yeah you could do the working in more s.f. it won't matter.

yea always use radians in iteration or the trig questions answer will be massive because the calculator will thinks its in degrees =.=
Original post by H_Rattan
you know when they ask you to describe a series of transformations..does it matter which order u put them transformations in?

Do the one in bracket first
Reply 9
Original post by newskills
Quick question. If an answer asks for 3dp or 3sf, do you always do all your working to 4dp / 4sf?

Also if an iteration question involves trig, do you always work in radians?

Thanks

I always try and do working without any rounding whatsoever just for completeness
anyone got the mark scheme for june 2011?
Reply 11
Original post by rachaelizabeth
I'm so bored of revising for this. Done all the past papers and got A's and A*'s in every one, and any mistakes I do make are just stupid ones. I keep mis-reading the questions because I'm so bored of them!

You're a female, stop boastin bro.
Original post by Taylor_R
You're a female, stop boastin bro.

Ok, first of all, I wasn't boasting; I was stating. I'm genuinely sorry if I came across in the wrong way. I just felt there may be others who are in the same boat, as there are quite a few in my college who are bored.
Secondly, why is my gender relevent in this at all?
Actually ****ting this exam, i've just resat core 2, so done hardly any revision, i'll be happy if i don't get a U. Just kill me now -.-
Reply 14
Ok, first of all, I wasn't boasting; I was stating. I'm genuinely sorry if I came across in the wrong way. I just felt there may be others who are in the same boat, as there are quite a few in my college who are bored.
Secondly, why is my gender relevent in this at all?

Thanks for justifying you previous post, firstly, it sounded like you were genuinely boastin, there are others in the same boat, but if you wanted to say that, just say it in alot more subtle way, no one cares if you have got 80/90+ UMS on papers. Secondly, females are supposed to be nice, the consolidating type.
Reply 15
Original post by Starlight94
Actually ****ting this exam, i've just resat core 2, so done hardly any revision, i'll be happy if i don't get a U. Just kill me now -.-

Core 3 > Core 2. Dont worry about it, just get a nice AS level score, and then your in a good position to get yourself an A, poss an A* if you work hard + lucky :smile: but wishing everyone on here the best of luck!
Last exam for me is core 3 :biggrin:, I've noticed the past papers from Jan 2010 onwards are a lot more difficult :/ AQA love to change the layout of the papers eh?
I'm so bored of revising for this. Done all the past papers and got A's and A*'s in every one, and any mistakes I do make are just stupid ones. I keep mis-reading the questions because I'm so bored of them!

I'm not bored of them, but I find I'm in the same situation as you. Every past paper I've done I'm getting As and A*s (mostly borderline) and the As I get are just down to stupid mistakes! It's really annoying because I know I can do it and I just want to get an A* in this because the content isn't that difficult it's just the question types.

Original post by H_Rattan

The order of transformations sometimes have to be in a specific order. What I do is:

Bracket / function:

Translations go first

Stretches go next - can be interchanged by (3)

Reflections go next - can be interchanged by (2)

Outside bracket / function:

Reflections / stretches in any order

Translations go next

It's basically SAMDOB inside the function and BODMAS outside the function :smile:

Original post by gurjitsingh
Last exam for me is core 3 :biggrin:, I've noticed the past papers from Jan 2010 onwards are a lot more difficult :/ AQA love to change the layout of the papers eh?

It's my last too...and yeah they start of easy and then they make it harder by the year! They keep adding new stuff that you've never seen before, and I've noticed that they used to put (a), hence find (b) and find (c). Now they just say 'do it' all in one question! So annoying. June 2011 was hard for me so I hope this one would be easier.
Reply 18
June 2011 mark scheme is non existent. Have looked E V E R Y W H E R E....
I do OCR and I've been doing recent papers from AQA, and in comparison, AQA is a lot easier. I wish I was doing AQA, at least they don't tend to mess up on as many exams too! :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending