The Student Room Group

AQA PSYA2 Unit 2 Psychology January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Orange_dream
flume, same.

i've sorted out why people resist pressures to conform, it's just minority influence in social change now! i think it might be moscovici, when i find it i'll post on here
Original post by rooney9
june?

Braindead.

Cheers
Reply 142
Original post by Orange_dream
flume, same.

Nemeth 1986 argues that even when minorities are wrong, views can stimulate productive thinking
In 1969 Moscovici carried out an experiment to find out whether a consistent minority could influence a majority in a perception task, he found (85) specific behavioural styles that minorities must possess in order to exert social influence:
1) Consistency - be consistent in arguments and opposition to majority
2) Not dogmatic - i.e allow some flexibility in arguments

Furthermore, in 1998 Hogg & Vaughan found that minorities were more likely to be influential if:
1) They acted from principle (not out of self interest)
2) They made sacrifices in order to maintain position
3) Similar to majority in terms of age, gender etc
4) Advocate views that were consistent with social trends - for example nowadays we're becoming more interested in environmental change, so views of certain minority groups are becoming ever more persuasive and popular

Explanations for minority influence are:
1)Consistency - both intra-individual (where a person maintains a consistent argument over time) and inter-individual (where there is agreement among members of minority group)

2) The snowball effect - once a few members of majority move to minority, influence of minority gains momentum, seen as 'politically correct' - for a fun example -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA8z7f7a2Pk

3) The disociation model proposes that minority group members influence majority group members in a process called 'social cryptoamnesia' - meaning that minority ideas are assimilated into the majority viewpoint without those in majority remembering where ideas came from. In other words, the CONTENT and SOURCE become disassociated.

The dissociation model provides explanation as to how dominant ideas/trends within a culture (referred to as zeitgeists) can be launched by minority groups despite potential strong resistance they encounter from majority positions

Took me ages to type so I hope it helps!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Thank you. Now I know. Like in order for the minority to exert an influence they must be consistent, flexible and that the minorities could exert influence through changes in their own behaviour, i.e. seeing other people changing their views can have a powerful effect on individual own views = snowball effect.
Hahahahaha that guy dancing video of the Snowball effect is brilliant! :P
Reply 145
Original post by flume
i've sorted out why people resist pressures to conform, it's just minority influence in social change now! i think it might be moscovici, when i find it i'll post on here

If you want an example for minority influence just use fathers for justice! It's far simpler and you dont have to remember any facts or stats. Just say stuff like they climb on buildings dressed as superheroes which shows they are willing to put themselves in harms way, they all do the same thing so they have consistency etc.
I assume you know who f4j are - this is what our psychology teacher told us to use for minority influence, honestly it's very very simple.

Anyways, good luck today people!
Good luck!
good luck everyone
Reply 148
Good Luck everyone :biggrin:
Ah, just got in. (I live an about 6/7 minute cycle away) so yeah :P

Anyway how did we all find it?

I found it pretty good during the exam, but the more I think about it the more I worry! Also talking to a few people after the exam they got different answers :frown:

There was a 12 marker on Stress, somethiing like "Discuss two or more methods of Stress Management"

I went for SIT (Stress Innoculation Training) and Hardiness Training. However some people said they mentioned drugs, so I now am thinking did I even get any marks???? :frown:

Also the most confusing one for me was the 4 marker in Social influence, asking "what has social influence research shown about social change?" or something??!?!?!?

I mentioned Ashe's study and how it might not be historically valid now because it was in the 50's where there was a US/Communist war and if anyone rebelled then they could be seen as a threat. SO basically, I got that one wrong :P :frown:

Argh, I can't even remember some of the questions now, but I am not feeling exceptionally confident now :frown:

How about all of you?!?!
Reply 150
Original post by Brendan12398
Ah, just got in. (I live an about 6/7 minute cycle away) so yeah :P

Anyway how did we all find it?

I found it pretty good during the exam, but the more I think about it the more I worry! Also talking to a few people after the exam they got different answers :frown:

There was a 12 marker on Stress, somethiing like "Discuss two or more methods of Stress Management"

I went for SIT (Stress Innoculation Training) and Hardiness Training. However some people said they mentioned drugs, so I now am thinking did I even get any marks???? :frown:

Also the most confusing one for me was the 4 marker in Social influence, asking "what has social influence research shown about social change?" or something??!?!?!?

I mentioned Ashe's study and how it might not be historically valid now because it was in the 50's where there was a US/Communist war and if anyone rebelled then they could be seen as a threat. SO basically, I got that one wrong :P :frown:

Argh, I can't even remember some of the questions now, but I am not feeling exceptionally confident now :frown:

How about all of you?!?!

thought it went okay! a lot better than when i sat it in the summer last year.
for the essay i spoke about drugs then went onto talking about SIT and hardiness (wrote a bit too much), and because it said biological OR psychological methods of stress management you're fine dont worry!
What other questions were there? Trying to think! :/
Reply 152
Okay, just my verdict on the exam, and a general outline of what I THINK you need to have in there. Forgive me if I forget anything, I probably cant remember half of it ^^

STRESS

Q) How was research into stress in the workplace done?
A) You need to give a factor of stress in the workplace, I chose control. You then HAVE to mention research, and HOW they did that research. So basically, all you need to do is a small procedure and operationalizing the variables. So I did Marmot, 3000CC in whitehall, it was 8.5 year longitudinal study which looked at how job control (flexibility blah blah blah), affects the chances of suffering stress related illnesses like a heart attack. Lower control = 4x likely to die of heart attack.

Overall stress was pretty easy tbh.

12 MARK QUESTION :biggrin:DDD

****ing predicted this one, it was so obvious it was going to be it. I actually predicted this down to the word, so I was so happy when it came up. You need to talk about

1 BIOLOGICAL THERAPY

1 PSYCHOLOGICAL THERAPY

I chose drugs, and SIT, and had quite a few evaluative points for each. I wrote a good page and a half, I had about 2/3 of the extra space still empty. Anymore, and its probably wasted words. This was a seriously nice 12 mark question.

SOCIAL INFLUENCE

Again, this was pretty easy overall.

Q) Tina, Josie, and Susan whatever,
A) Explain normative / informational and apply it to their situations. Pretty simple.

Q) Outline one or more reasons why people obey authority, (I might have slipped up here q_q)
A) I talked about legitimate authority, so uniforms (bickman) and milgram (university campus vs office blocks), I then talked about agentic state/shift but got confuddled, so I scribbled it out and talked about cultural differences, individualist cultures more likely not to obey etc, and question authority.

However I'm starting to think this is wrong, these aren't reasons why they obey authority? Are they Q_Q, cba toeven look at my notes.

Q) What has social influence research shown about social change
A) Moscovi, 36 slides, 8.1%, 1.7%, and state its all about consistency.

ABNORMALITY.

Q) Outline biological approach
A) I talked about its all physical / observable, and comes from 4 places being genetic, brain (damage and function) and infection. However I should have said its falsifiable, scientific and objective perhaps. I don't know, probably dropped 2 marks here.

Q) What should Hugh know about drugs?
A) Side effects, its not a permenant solution, its a means of helping him overcome it, and something else.

Q) What could Hugh do instead?
A) Systematic de sensitization for sure here.

Its definitely the easiest exam paper for a while, and I suspect grade boundaries will be high. I know I dropped marks and I'm quite angry with myself, but I will deffo get B/A.
(edited 12 years ago)
I went on and expplained biological and psychological methods of stress management, like I have used up all the spaxe, even extra. omg
For the Hugh question on psychodynamic approach, I said psychoanalysis - free association, would that be correct?

Also for the information/normative social influence what was Catlyn?

Social change one sucked, I knew no studies, just went with suffragettes lol...
Reply 155
Original post by Hooby
Sorry to tell you but it is in our years exam, I checked with my teacher whos a psych examiner, she said 'The spec alterations are for this years cohort so you still need problem/emotion focused . Sorry!'

listen dude did u see any problem focused or emotion focused on the papers no so like your teacher must be a dopey person so like take back what u said lile!
Reply 156
this papers was awesome although i i kinow a lost afew amrks hopefully i did well :smile:
Pretty easy ish. Might have lost a few marks too.

B/A possibly? :smile:

Social change Research Study- Mocovici- Consistent study. Green slides and blue sides etc :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
what was the paper out of? :smile: i thought it was alright :smile:
that was the easiest psychology paper i have ever sat.
i did the same as a lot of people for 12 mark question, wrote about SIT and drugs. hardiness training is no longer in the spec.
what did people put for why people resist conformity and why people obey? social was my worst section :frown:

also the last question, its defo systematic desensitisation like you said :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest