The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 2 AS Level skills paper Jan 2012

Anyone resitting this paper or doing it for the first time have any idea of topics likely to come up, such as standard deviation/logarithmic graphs etc...
as well if it's going to be Human/Physical based?
Any help would be great!
Reply 1
Standard deviation came up in June 10 so might not be on the paper (but who knows). I have a feeling interquartile range might come up

*June 11
Reply 2
Im doing this paper too for the first time :/
Don't know what to expect/revise?
Any tipes/advice?
And if you do maths, revising the Rank and Interquartile range and stuff should be okay - look on maths websites. But I'm nervous for this exam :/

Sorry that I'm not really answering your question :/
Reply 3
Original post by Nia_Beth
Im doing this paper too for the first time :/
Don't know what to expect/revise?
Any tipes/advice?
And if you do maths, revising the Rank and Interquartile range and stuff should be okay - look on maths websites. But I'm nervous for this exam :/

Sorry that I'm not really answering your question :/

I've done it once before last year, I found it much more difficult then paper 1.
I have no idea what is likely to come up but I would advise wording you fieldwork so you know what to put since I really mess up on that. As for the first part of the paper I guess we'll just have to take it as it comes... :/
The chief examiner at least was going through the specification systematically, I can't remember if he actually has covered if everything in the specification or not yet, but if he hasn't I would presume in your exam he will try to, so if there's things in the previous exams which don't appear revise those and standard deviation could well come up as it is an examiners favourite and something if you take geography further you will need to know, it is core in most university courses.
Reply 5
What was the standard deviation question like? What did you have to do for it / explain for it?
Original post by Rebecca...
What was the standard deviation question like? What did you have to do for it / explain for it?

They give you the formula for working out standard deviation and the question will most likely ask you to simply work it out, given the x values. :smile:
Standard deviation tells you how much of the data is concentrated around the mean or in other words, how spread out the data is.
Original post by ihateocr
Anyone resitting this paper or doing it for the first time have any idea of topics likely to come up, such as standard deviation/logarithmic graphs etc...
as well if it's going to be Human/Physical based?
Any help would be great!

what did you get? everyone did badly in my year
Reply 8
Original post by thepastpaper
what did you get? everyone did badly in my year

Pathetically lol, I got 35 last time, and I got 36 this time. Although it brought my grade up from a D to a C I wouldn't consider it worth all the money and effort I put in. But, I was the only person from my college who resat it and went up xD
Original post by ihateocr
Pathetically lol, I got 35 last time, and I got 36 this time. Although it brought my grade up from a D to a C I wouldn't consider it worth all the money and effort I put in. But, I was the only person from my college who resat it and went up xD

oh well at least you got a c. By the way, I love your username :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by thepastpaper
oh well at least you got a c. By the way, I love your username :biggrin:

Haha thanks! :biggrin:
How did you do?
Reply 11
My class all this population will come up as it hasn't come up lately! What's everyone else thinking?
Reply 12
Original post by Wood-17
My class all this population will come up as it hasn't come up lately! What's everyone else thinking?

Was in rivers or population in june 2012?
Reply 13
I have gone through all past papers and I think that population is most likely to come up since rivers came up june 2012. Although I am not sure because it happened couple of times before for this paper, for 1 topic to come up twice in the row. In the second section I think risk assessment, data presentation, explaining the concept, sampling techniques and evaluating how successful was the enquiry are likely to come, however i am not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending