The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography Pre-exam Discussion (13 & 17 June 2011)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by kate.overall
both are population!!!! Do you mean the 8 mark one on Indonesia or the one of migration?

Indonesia, sorry 'bout that. :redface:
Original post by 117r
Indonesia, sorry 'bout that. :redface:

there were two Indonesia questions though! The migration one (4 or 6 marks) and the natural decrease (8 mark one)
Reply 842
there were two Indonesia questions though! The migration one (4 or 6 marks) and the natural decrease (8 mark one)

Well I don't know. I only remember Indonesia coming up once in an 8 mark question. Point is, I don't think anyone was meant to have studied it, it was simply used as an example.
Indonesia was used for the population decrease - "Describe how countries LIKE Indonesia have a decreasing population

Also for the migration one which came with the map and newspaper clippings, so all of the answers were on the page anyway - just had to think a little bit more about them to explain why it would have helped with the distribution.
Original post by Alimbo95

Original post by Alimbo95
Oh yh, I can't remember what I put for that haha. Oh well...

Yes, I did population. I was fairly pleased with that section. I was sorta gobsmacked that they'd ask an 8 marker straight away though.

yeah i was also shocked wen they asked that which question was it again :L? the only question i found hard was the ageing population, i did italy and said how they give money and encourage young people to emigrate?
Original post by aqagcse2011
yeah i was also shocked wen they asked that which question was it again :L? the only question i found hard was the ageing population, i did italy and said how they give money and encourage young people to emigrate?

That was the question asking about why countries like Indonesia are witnessing a falling natural increase.

Oh yh, I did France for that one, simply because it was SO easy to learn. All the numbers that were essential to remember were 3s; if a mother had 3 children or more, she would be entitled to have an early retirement with a pension, if there were 3 children or more within a family, they would be given monthly allowances and a tax concession, when a child reaches 3, their education would be state funded...
Reply 846
Original post by Mocking_bird
I will do it, i'll post it in about 10 minutes or however long it takes :P

Could you tell me what it is out of overall including coursework?

I got an A by one mark in my coursework( whats the raw mark). What are your predictions roughly for an A* overall?

Reply 847
The only way i'm gonna get a A* is this paper is if the grade boundaries for an A* are like 40/75 (yes... i did horribly bad)
This may have been said before but 44 pages .........

What paper did you prefere, Human or Physical ?
our geography teacher said you have to use case study detail to get top marks on Indonesia 8 mark question. China or Kerala would have been good case studies to use.
Original post by metaltron
our geography teacher said you have to use case study detail to get top marks on Indonesia 8 mark question. China or Kerala would have been good case studies to use.

That's horse****. It might have been applicable, but you weren't instructed to use a case study, therefore, they will not mark you down if you haven't used one.
Original post by AndrewCoppola
This may have been said before but 44 pages .........

What paper did you prefere, Human or Physical ?

Physical :smile:
I didn't prefer either. But as stupid as this sounds, I think I over revised for Physical Geography! I learnt everything inside out for physical that when it came to the paper I didn't think about my answers as much as I should have (for human I did as I hardly revised).. For example, in the meander question, even though I knew everything like meander scar etc... I forgot to mention it, and also, as I had done the cross section labelled with slip off slope and river cliff etc, I forgot to mention them in the written formation question below! grr so annoying.

yeah same, it may have been because physical exam was first and alot more interesting ! aha
Reply 853
I got a B on the cw - 40/60 and I think I done quite well on these two tests. What do you think i roughly needed mark-wise for each test for an A/A*?
Original post by metaltron

Sorry but, like somebody already said, that is complete crap.
When they want a case study they ask for a named example.

Neg for telling the truth? Sorry.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 855
can someone put up the questions for 17th june 2011 40352 H specification Geography and mark scheme pleaseeee
Original post by Psuehtain
can someone put up the questions for 17th june 2011 40352 H specification Geography and mark scheme pleaseeee

Hey I did the paper, and I got 100% if you want to pm me, I still remember the questions.. But it's unit 2 that I sat in June.
Okay so i really need someone's help! i know in the exam we only answer sections reliant to us but I've never seen a geography exam paper so i don't know what sections i need to answer, the three topics we've studied are:

Changing Urban Environment
squatter settlement Favela Bairro Project, Brazil
Sustainable Cities I'm doing Curitiba, Brazil
And the london docklands
Refuge movements to the eu

Tourism
ecotourism taraquara lodge, mass tourism kenys, extreme tourism anatarica and Uk tourism the lake district

Population
china
uK's ageing population
Thaliand
Migration into the uk
Polish migrants
Original post by hannnahlucy
Okay so i really need someone's help! i know in the exam we only answer sections reliant to us but I've never seen a geography exam paper so i don't know what sections i need to answer, the three topics we've studied are:

Changing Urban Environment
squatter settlement Favela Bairro Project, Brazil
Sustainable Cities I'm doing Curitiba, Brazil
And the london docklands
Refuge movements to the eu

Tourism
ecotourism taraquara lodge, mass tourism kenys, extreme tourism anatarica and Uk tourism the lake district

Population
china
uK's ageing population
Thaliand
Migration into the uk
Polish migrants

Perhaps looking at some of the past papers for this specification will help :

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcse/pdf/AQA-40302H-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcse/pdf/AQA-40302H-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

The three topics that you have studied are: Changing Urban Environments, Tourism and Population Change, you will therefore answer all of the questions in the paper under those headings.
Just looking at the spec what are 'characteristics of squatter settlements'?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending