The Student Room Group

Quantity Surveying, building surveying or Construction Management?!

Hey guys, just new to this site.
I have applied for 3 quantity surveying courses, 1 building surveying course and a construction managemet course.
I would like a job that works on the site as well as the office and can travel alot. So job situation on the Uk wont affect me as i intend to move.
So can any of you help define the difference between the 3 courses and what jobs the will lead into and the pro's and cons of each?
I dont mind maths although only took it to GCSE and so it would be basic.
Thanks guys
Reply 1
guys? anyone??????
I don't know a whole lot on the subject but out of all 3 I'd imagine a construction manager would be the most on site job of all three. Quantity surveying has good money from what I hear but I'd imagine it is very boring. Adding up costs doesn't sound like an endearing life prospect. What's building surveying?
Original post by cmcgread

Original post by cmcgread
Hey guys, just new to this site.
I have applied for 3 quantity surveying courses, 1 building surveying course and a construction managemet course.
I would like a job that works on the site as well as the office and can travel alot. So job situation on the Uk wont affect me as i intend to move.
So can any of you help define the difference between the 3 courses and what jobs the will lead into and the pro's and cons of each?
I dont mind maths although only took it to GCSE and so it would be basic.
Thanks guys

Hi, i would imagine that building surveyors would do the most travelling. QS's would be in the office more but would also need to visit the sites sometimes.

not sure about c. managers but i think they would spend more time on site.

all three are very different professions
try and organise some work experience with all three to get a feel for which you'd prefer
Reply 5
CM is less vocational than the other two and I cant imagine many CM grads actually land CM roles. I would expect them to get Estimating or QS roles first and then move onto CM as their career progresses. So personally I would disregard CM and if I decided i wanted to be a CM i would study QS (that's just my opinion of course, you could email the university and ask them what kind of jobs their grads have been getting, see how well they blag it and make a judgement). So that leaves you with a straight choice between BS and QS.

QS gives you better prospects of working abroad than BS (BS should get you past things like Australia's points system but you won't ever have the opportunity QS' have to end up somewhere bizzare like building an eco-city in Qatar and what have you)

BS is more out of the office than QS (although depending on your role, QS can be 100% site based too)

QS is generally better paid than BS (though neither are poorly paid once qualified and experienced)

BS is probably a bit more interesting than QS (if you like buildings more than you like numbers, that is)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
thanks guys, any other thoughts?
Reply 7
Hey, i've gotten into quantity surveying for 2012 in uni. From the research i done dont go for construction management like someone else above said once you graduate you will most likely become a qs. Once QS's have experience they tend to become CM's more than BS's so yeah basically go for QS ( But thats just me lol )
Reply 8
where all you apply for?
Im currently doing CM at uni, and what others have said about going into QS when you graduate is a load of nonsense.

You'll most likely end up going on site, managing small budget projects, supervising etc.

I know people who have worked on placements, and have worked on multi million pound projects, without even going near the QS side.
Reply 10
Hi guys, can you kindly help me. I have received offers for a place on a Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management degree program at the Universities below and would like to know what the best choice would be.

London South Bank
Greenwich
Wolverhampton

I would be grateful if you could advise. Many thanks.
Reply 11
BS actually statistically have higher pay rate by 10k comoared to QS. It is more outdoors and you get to go into project abd contracts management after litellary 2 years of being qualified. BS deal with legal and management side of construction which will set you up for life since you will be more trained in planning and legislation than any other occupation. Factually bs and project managers earn the most you can go on any site on google to see that proven. You can also get into QS afterwards very easily because you will know land surveying, bs, qs and engineering thats why its such a good career because you will have knowledge from every profession of construction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending