The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by icedragon
Thanks Arsey. Only 2 things. For the speed time graph, they often give marks for the labels for marking the length per section (in this it would be like <--------T--------> for the middle bit and then <--------6---------> for the last bit). I put this as well as the actual values, the ones on your answers. There won't be a problem with that, right?

Also, for the very last question, I resolved the RF with friction acting up the slope and the component of mg acting down (stupidly...). Obviously I got a different value for a and hence a different distance. If I worked out what I actually did correctly, will I get any method marks, or 0? Just threw me the way they mentioned find where it will come to rest because obviously it would roll down after that, so I made the mistake of thinking they meant it rolling down the slope and friction being greater than a downwards etc... Cheers :smile:

the T and 6 bit will be ignored

you should get a method mark for the correct suvat equation being applied; you may get a further mark for correctly calculating the new Fmax
Reply 221
Original post by Arsey
the T and 6 bit will be ignored

you should get a method mark for the correct suvat equation being applied; you may get a further mark for correctly calculating the new Fmax

Hey Arsey, who are you exactly? I'm quite curious because you basically go through every single exam.
Reply 222
Original post by jokosor
Well this was my first official m1 paper so yeah, don't have much experience on this but 65/64 would make sense for an A? I crammed most of the m1 revision in the last 3/4 days so if I found it easy then I'd reckon most people did.
Yeah I know what you mean about method marks, they ALWAYS bite me in the back...

How can you not like mechanics?

I find it quite hard =\
Reply 223
Original post by AnujBaid
Hey Arsey,
For 8c) i got the same value for the deceleration as you did , but i must have rounded when putting it in my calculator so i got the answer as 11.7m, how many marks do you think I would loose for that?

1 accuracy, if you have just made a rounding error. More if you made other errors
Reply 224
Original post by icedragon
Not a chance. Never been a paper with an A boundary as high, and there have been many papers easier than this.

S2 and C4 iirc were both 69 for an A in Jan last year. Doubt it will be as high as that mind.
Reply 225
Original post by ms93
I find it quite hard =\

Lack of practice? I think that if you like maths then liking mechanics is a given :biggrin: which leads me to think that you are not doing FM, am I right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 226
Original post by paulio115
For question 6e, when the acceleration increased or decreased, I drew a vertical solid line rather than a dotted line. Also, for 8b I gave the coefficient of friction to 2 signifant figures. Will I lose any marks for these? Everything else I got correct.

don't know, would seem harsh but I can see why they might

2sf is fine
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 227
Original post by jokosor
Lack of practice? I think that if you like maths then liking mechanics is a given :biggrin: which leads me to think that you are not doing FM, am I right?

LOOOL I am doing FM :colondollar:
I like every other module, M1 is the only module I think I actually struggled with, don't know why. Left it too late possibly?
Reply 228
Original post by ms93
LOOOL I am doing FM :colondollar:
I like every other module, M1 is the only module I think I actually struggled with, don't know why. Left it too late possibly?

Oops, my bad then. Yeah most likely you needed more time to revise it. I've been through S1,S2 and then my teacher tried talking me into S3...LOL I almost screamed and picked M1 instead. Since then, it has been the module that I enjoyed the most after C3.
Original post by jokosor
Hey Arsey, who are you exactly? I'm quite curious because you basically go through every single exam.

THE INSIDE MAN... Ignorance is bliss my friend. Don't ask questions...
Reply 230
Original post by jokosor
Oops, my bad then. Yeah most likely you needed more time to revise it. I've been through S1,S2 and then my teacher tried talking me into S3...LOL I almost screamed and picked M1 instead. Since then, it has been the module that I enjoyed the most after C3.

Oh, I have a choice between M2 and S3. DEFINITELY S3 for me :biggrin:
Reply 231
Original post by ms93

trust me you don't want to do s3 :huff:
Reply 232
Original post by jimmy_
trust me you don't want to do s3 :huff:

LOL, I might struggle with S3 but I'll DIE with M2. If I struggle with M1, M2 will just be a nightmare =|
Reply 233
Original post by brittanna
For the angle one on the vector question, this is what i did:

I drew a diagram (like in arseys answers).
I then wrote:

tan(theta)=12/3
tan(theta)=4
theta=tan^-1(4)
theta=75.96 degrees
theta=76 degrees (to the nearest degree).

How many marks would i lose for this?

I don't think you will get any

you have completely misunderstood what angle you needed
Reply 234
Original post by deathhead68
THE INSIDE MAN... Ignorance is bliss my friend. Don't ask questions...

LOL alright then, I see.
Original post by ms93

You are brave, perhaps one of the bravest people I've encountered. Many previously fell before S3, boredom and suffering in its purest form, only those wielding unwavering minds conquered it. I commend you oh valorous knight.
Reply 235
Original post by jokosor

You are brave, perhaps one of the bravest people I've encountered. Many previously fell before S3, boredom and suffering in its purest form, only those wielding unwavering minds conquered it. I commend you oh valorous knight.

You're scaring me :frown:
Reply 236
Original post by intellectual1
how many were flicking through the pages or their scripts? or simply staring at the wall ahead or at their script :rolleyes: not something seen in any exam in quite sometime...lower boundaries than expected for sure

LOOL OMG in the first 15mins in the exam I had heard 4 different people sigh, one person in the row next to me was just staring at the moments, I guess he couldn't cope with the letters in the distances. Oh and 4 people dropped there pencil by 'accident' xD
Original post by Arsey
I don't think you will get any

you have completely misunderstood what angle you needed

If i did that and then subtracted 76 from 180, would I get any marks?
Reply 238
Original post by ms93
You're scaring me :frown:

:biggrin: seriously, if you enjoyed S1 and S2 then you can make it. Last year people dropped S3 for M2 and M3, it's that bad. I still have nightmares from S1...
Reply 239
Original post by Arsey

For part B in the moments question I didn't divide by 3 so my answer was 17/4 mg and not 17/12 mg
How many marks would I lose for that?
Oh and on the acceleration time graph I had my T value wrong from previous part so I labelled my time axis wrong would I still be able to get full marks?
One last thing in the last part of the suvat question I added the times I got instead of minusing them I would only lose one mark rite?
Thanks

Latest