The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by whitebrenda
Hi,

Got an offer from Imperial too and I'm thrilled!! (: Hmm but I'm an international student. I heard that international students aren't really integrated in Imperial, as compared to Oxbridge, is this true? (I didn't apply for Oxbridge though haha)

Additionally, is life at imperial boring? I read that people there are really study-oriented/nerdy... And are students active in the student union?

I'm hoping that life at Imperial would be great (: So could someone answer these questions and ease my worries! Thanks!

Don't know where you've heard that! from my understanding imperial is one of the most multicultural universities out their! with the one of the highest percentages of international students!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Will be firming Theoretical Physics. Offer is AAA. Two questions;

1. Does the offer mean anything about what they thought of us? For example, AAA offer instead of A*A*AA could mean they want you there, but don't think you're good enough to get A*A*AA, or it could mean they want you enough to let you in even if you do slightly worse than they'd like? Can't help being curious.

2. Thread doesn't seem that active :P Are we going to get more posts later on? Maybe after exam period calms down? Would be nice to know a few people before we get there.
Original post by Chicksac427

1. Does the offer mean anything about what they thought of us? For example, AAA offer instead of A*A*AA could mean they want you there, but don't think you're good enough to get A*A*AA, or it could mean they want you enough to let you in even if you do slightly worse than they'd like? Can't help being curious.

2. Thread doesn't seem that active :P Are we going to get more posts later on? Maybe after exam period calms down? Would be nice to know a few people before we get there.

Well I got an AAA offer because I think I took my Maths A Level early? Usual offers are A*AA :smile:
Original post by BlackPoison94
Well I got an AAA offer because I think I took my Maths A Level early? Usual offers are A*AA :smile:

Likewise. My offer is conditional on me having already got my A*, which I have. To be honest, AAA takes something of a weight off my mind. Can spend the rest of the year relaxing now :smile:
Likewise. My offer is conditional on me having already got my A*, which I have. To be honest, AAA takes something of a weight off my mind. Can spend the rest of the year relaxing now :smile:

God I can't. I've got to get an A in Economics :| What about you?
Original post by BlackPoison94
God I can't. I've got to get an A in Economics :| What about you?

A's in FM, physics, and chem. Doing all FM in Jan to get it out the way (So even if I fail, resits here I come), and have 90%+ in physics and chem already, so I could get by on 70% this year :P Will probably spend most of my time learning some first year maths, as opposed to studying for A levels.
Reply 66
Posting to sub! :biggrin: Some of you know me from the applicants' thread - 1st year BME (Biomedical Engineering), chatty, can't keep off the keyboard. Garden-er like Zottula, our forum assistant (I see her every now and then when she's not absorbed with all her rocks XD)

There's a Facebook group for all you people who'll be firming - quite a bit of discussion happens there too, so I'd check that out! I recognize some of your names, as well... LiamSP, here's looking at you XD

https://www.facebook.com/groups/197209050356534/
Reply 67

Check the Facebook group out (link's on the post before this.)

Also, it *could* more likely be the latter instead of the former - more like "we want you so much we'll make it even easier, and that's not because we think you won't get it" (so scrap the "slightly worse" bit)-= but that's not necessarily the case.

WRT "they don't think you're good enough to get A*A*AA". why would they let you in if you're not going to be good enough in their opinion? Plenty of other people they could pick with similar or higher predictions, yaknow.

I wouldn't read *too* much into these things though. More often than not there are peeps who ONLY get AAA instead of A*AA offers (or A*AA instead of A*A*A); because they've taken A2 Maths a year early - that's the classic example. It's not fair to just make an offer on the basis of 2 pending A2s, because it just means people can slack off in year 13 (3A2s is considered the min amount needed for a "full workload" at A2) and it'll come back to bite you HARD when you go into first year.

Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
Nah, you've been a great help over here and I probably remember you more than anyone else because of your signature :P

Hey, I actually do have a question for you, is it the case that if you are willing to shell out for a ensuite you'll get it or is it that you have to be allocated to one to be able to get it.

Also, is there Wi-Fi in all rooms ?

Original post by Zottula
You aren't guaranteed any of your 5 preferences, so if you apply for an en suite you aren't guaranteed one I'm afraid. People are only guaranteed a particular room if it's for medical/welfare reasons. If you have a very good reason for requiring an en suite the accommodation people are good at sorting that kind of thing out.

I know quite a few people who applied for single en suites and ended up in a twin en suite instead.But I also know loads of people who got what they wanted. There are various theories on what to put on your application to give yourself a better chance of getting the room you want. If you apply for 5 en suites and then say that your preference is room type as opposed to price band then you are more likely to get an en suite, but you could end up with one that is more expensive than what you applied for. I know one girl who applied for a standard single and ended up in an en suite :s-smilie:. Dunno how that happened.

I get Wi-Fi in my room, but I don't think all the rooms get this. I'm not sure about this though. Every room has internet access though.

The only time you'll be guaranteed a single (ensuite or not is another story) is if you're going to be under 18 when you start uni.
Wi-Fi is available in ALL the Eastside/Southside rooms; for the other halls, it's on the lower levels. Every room has cable access though and that's tons faster, so weeeeell xD Zotts lives on the 1st floor of Garden so she gets it; I'm on the 3rd floor and I don't.

Original post by Zottula
The gender ratio is roughly the same everywhere. I haven't noticed any different between the halls in that aspect. I think most of the halls are pretty good socially (this will change every year anyway depending on what the new student intake is like), but I do know that the noisy people end up in Beit :tongue:.

Well clearly peeps like me must've been an anomaly xD
Original post by arianex
X

How far is Southside from the centre of the South Kensington Campus ?
Reply 69
How far is Southside from the centre of the South Kensington Campus ?

It's right next to it. It would take you 3 mins to get into college from Southside.
Original post by Zottula
It's right next to it. It would take you 3 mins to get into college from Southside.

In between the centre of campus and Southside is a line of what appears to be trees (I'm looking at aerial pictures from Google Earth). Is there a road under those trees ?

EDIT : Are all halls self-catered ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
In between the centre of campus and Southside is a line of what appears to be trees (I'm looking at aerial pictures from Google Earth). Is there a road under those trees ?

Exhibition road is between the Princes Gardens halls and college campus.
Original post by Zottula
Exhibition road is between the Princes Gardens halls and college campus.

Are all halls self catered ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure all halls are indeed self catered.
Reply 74

Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure all halls are indeed self catered.

They are all self catered.
Did anyone get an Email from the admissions tutor asking for module results got that today..
Reply 76
Original post by Mattdavidcool
Did anyone get an Email from the admissions tutor asking for module results got that today..

Yeah I got that today, no idea what they are or where to find them though!
Original post by totalfluke
Yeah I got that today, no idea what they are or where to find them though!

Yeah it's a hassle to do but go to your school exams officer and ask them to put all of your module results on a sheet of paper.
Reply 78
Original post by Mattdavidcool
Yeah it's a hassle to do but go to your school exams officer and ask them to put all of your module results on a sheet of paper.

Ah cheers dude :smile: will be doing that tomorrow!
I'll be firming my Mathematics G104 offer (A*A*AA) but I have a few quick questions for any one who may know.
I applied for the year in Europe course and I'd like to know whether the partner unis are limited to the ones listed on the website? I'm quite keen on going to France (native french speaker but never lived there :P) but I'm not sure if the uni that's on the website is the one I'd want to go to.

I am still very interested in the year abroad but knowing the variability of my life, I may no longer want/be able to partake in the program, is it possible for me to switch to the regular 4 year course after my degree course starts or must that be something I request before the start of the academic year?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Latest