The Student Room Group

repeat prescription renewal advice please =/

I know this is probably a stupid question but I have an inhaler that is supposed to be be for hayfever, however I use it most of the year. My repeat prescription has finished and I need it to he renewed. It's really difficult to get an appointment with gps at the surgery I go to and I don't want to waste their time if I don't need to see them. My question is, would I have to make an appointment with a doctor (and wait a month) or could the appointment be with a nurse practitioner ( about a week's wait)? It's not urgent but does definitely need sorting before march when my hayfever starts.

Also what do they do when I go, I was about 11 when I last went and now I'm 18?

Thanks =)
You shouldn't really have an inhaler for hayfever. If you get symptoms you need to get over the counter antihistamines. You would be wasting your and the GP time with this. However, if you have asthma then you need an appointment
Reply 2
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You shouldn't really have an inhaler for hayfever. If you get symptoms you need to get over the counter antihistamines. You would be wasting your and the GP time with this. However, if you have asthma then you need an appointment

I was prescribed the inhaler the last time I went because I always end up with a bad cough, tight chest and wheezing with hayfever. If I have to run for the bus at the end of school I actually can't breathe and feel like im going to pass out. I have never been tested for asthma or anything so I assumed it was due to hayfever makingme breathless.

Did the doctor make a mistake? I've never really found an over the counter drug that has done anything to help except ti knock me out and let me sleep at night!
Reply 3
The starting point for treating simple hayfever is antihistamines, yes, but some people have 'hayfever' that's technically seasonal asthma triggered by pollen - the cough, tight chest and wheeze the OP describes sounds like this is the case. These people get prescribed inhalers just like people who have asthma all the year round ... it's not the doctor making a mistake.

OP, I'd make an appointment with the doctor (you're not wasting their time - they need to check the inhalers are still appropriate/sufficient, that's why repeat prescriptions don't run indefinitely). Do the doctors know you're getting symptoms/needing to use the inhaler most of the year? If they don't know, or you're using it more than twice a week, then ask for an urgent appointment as you need to be re-examined.
Reply 4
Repeat prescriptions can take up to 48 hours to process so please be patient and remember to hand in your request at least three days before you need your medication renewed. Please send your repeat prescription by post, fax or in person. We can not take repeat prescriptions via e-mail or telephone.
Original post by CMedical
Repeat prescriptions can take up to 48 hours to process so please be patient and remember to hand in your request at least three days before you need your medication renewed. Please send your repeat prescription by post, fax or in person. We can not take repeat prescriptions via e-mail or telephone.

Something tells me you say that a lot.

Bacially, speak to the receptionist at your GP, and see what they say. Standard procedure is that they'll refer the repeat request back to the doctor and they will decide if they want to see you or not. If they want to see you you'll have to book an appointment. If not then they should be able to get the script generated.
Reply 6
My dad has quite a few repeat prescriptions for various things - and on a few occasions if he has found he is about to run out of something, he will just write a short note to say 'please leave me a prescription out for such and such a thing' and put that in the repeat prescription box, rather than an actual prescription.

That said, he sees our GP regularly and he therefore knows my dad's situation well. Your inhaler might not even be appropriate treatment for you anymore- who knows. 7 years is a long time. It's nigh on impossible to get an appointment at my GP's surgery as well, but if you calmly explain the story, they'll realise you need to see the doctor.
Reply 7
Original post by Madprof
The starting point for treating simple hayfever is antihistamines, yes, but some people have 'hayfever' that's technically seasonal asthma triggered by pollen - the cough, tight chest and wheeze the OP describes sounds like this is the case. These people get prescribed inhalers just like people who have asthma all the year round ... it's not the doctor making a mistake.

OP, I'd make an appointment with the doctor (you're not wasting their time - they need to check the inhalers are still appropriate/sufficient, that's why repeat prescriptions don't run indefinitely). Do the doctors know you're getting symptoms/needing to use the inhaler most of the year? If they don't know, or you're using it more than twice a week, then ask for an urgent appointment as you need to be re-examined.

Thanks for your help, I'll feel a bit less stupid about going now. I'll make an appointment in a few weeks when I have thought of an excuse to tell my mum so that she doesn't force me to let her come and then make the whole appointment about her! (it has happened before). My last inhaler is still half full so I should be okay waiting.

I was worried I was wasting their time as I went to see a nurse practitioner in December (no docs available) after having a cough for a month, laryngitis and tonsilitis and she told me that if I was using the inhaler in December it was due to winter flowering plants- I was confused by this but I had no voice to argue with and assumed she knew what she was on about =/.

Is it worth me asking them to check me for.asthma? I've always struggled with breathing and assumed it was normal but today we did a peak flow test in biology and my result was way below the rest of the class. Although most girls.didn't turn up today so there was me (thin and 5"2) and 17 boys all over 6 foot and massively built and my teacher said that was the reason. Sorry I can't remember the value.

Thank you =) I did feel worried after that first comment but you helped reassure me=) you'll make a great doctor next year! =)
Does anyone know what will happen when I see the doctor? I'm kind of scared of going...
Reply 9
Does anyone know what will happen if I go to the doctor? I'm kind of scared of going...
Reply 10
Original post by WanaBdoctor
Thanks for your help, I'll feel a bit less stupid about going now. I'll make an appointment in a few weeks when I have thought of an excuse to tell my mum so that she doesn't force me to let her come and then make the whole appointment about her! (it has happened before). My last inhaler is still half full so I should be okay waiting.

I was worried I was wasting their time as I went to see a nurse practitioner in December (no docs available) after having a cough for a month, laryngitis and tonsilitis and she told me that if I was using the inhaler in December it was due to winter flowering plants- I was confused by this but I had no voice to argue with and assumed she knew what she was on about =/.

Is it worth me asking them to check me for.asthma? I've always struggled with breathing and assumed it was normal but today we did a peak flow test in biology and my result was way below the rest of the class. Although most girls.didn't turn up today so there was me (thin and 5"2) and 17 boys all over 6 foot and massively built and my teacher said that was the reason. Sorry I can't remember the value.

Thank you =) I did feel worried after that first comment but you helped reassure me=) you'll make a great doctor next year! =)
No problem! And thank you :smile: Definitely worth asking about asthma. Peak flow is related to height so could be entirely normal (did you have a table of normal values?) but I'm a bit concerned that there might be some asthma going on if you still have tight chest/cough/wheeze. I'm not sure I quite see where the nurse practitioner was coming from about winter flowering plants either but then I'm not a doctor and haven't examined you so I'm in no position to make an informed opinion!

What is it that scares you about seeing the doctor? They'll will probably ask you some questions about breathing - how often you get symptoms, how often you need the inhaler, if you wake up in the night with cough etc. They'll listen to your chest and probably measure your peak flow and may get you to have a few puffs of inhaler and sit you in the waiting room then re-measure your peak flow a little while later.
Reply 11
Original post by Madprof
What is it that scares you about seeing the doctor? They'll will probably ask you some questions about breathing - how often you get symptoms, how often you need the inhaler, if you wake up in the night with cough etc. They'll listen to your chest and probably measure your peak flow and may get you to have a few puffs of inhaler and sit you in the waiting room then re-measure your peak flow a little while later.

It's not so much what the doctor does that bothers me - I know that they will always be professional- it's more the fact that I am never taken seriously. I remember going to the doctor twice before. The first time he told my mum I was trying to.skive off school. Turned out I'd had an allergic reaction. The second time I saw a different doctor and she just looked at me and said ' I don't know what's wrong with you and I think you're wasting time coming too see me.' I don't mind being persistent in getting them to notice me but I am worried that it's a load of unnecessary stress atm. ( I've applied to med school =)) I also hate going because the waiting room is always full of old.bids who think I must be pregnant or doing drugs. I've heard them talking! Them again it's probably a good guess of teenagers round here. Maybe scared isn't the best representation of how I feel about it.

I'll try another doctor. There must be one that's nice and speaks English!

Thanks =)

Quick Reply

Latest