The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by Beccat04
I'm going to be 22... your not the only one :smile: i'm sure we will show them how to party!

xx

Absolutely. A fair few of my mates have settled down, either married or with children. I still believe there's so much more fun to be had. I am intent on having a great time and will be interested to see whether anyone can 'live with me'.:cool:

Original post by KT9
If you're an old git, I'd say I'm 'getting on a bit', I'll be 21 when I start. Good to know there's at least one other fresher older than 18!

Just me making assumptions that i'll be in a minority, guess not ! Or at least I hope not.

Look forward to seeing you both out and about during freshers:biggrin:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 481
Original post by Beccat04
I'm going to be 22... your not the only one :smile: i'm sure we will show them how to party!

xx

That we will!

Original post by Cyclo
Absolutely. A fair few of my mates have settled down, either married or with children. I still believe there's so much more fun to be had. I am intent on having a great time and will be interested to see whether anyone can 'live with me'.:cool:

Just me making assumptions that i'll be in a minority, guess not ! Or at least I hope not.

Look forward to seeing you both out and about during freshers:biggrin:

You've definitely got the right of it, there's a whole world more fun out there to be had. Now I just have to convince both of you to live in St Pat's with me.:wink:
Reply 482
Original post by KT9
That we will!

You've definitely got the right of it, there's a whole world more fun out there to be had. Now I just have to convince both of you to live in St Pat's with me.:wink:

I haven't really bothered looking at where I want to stay yet. Can't apply until May.

Just had a quick look at St Pat's and it looks good to me. :wink:
Reply 483
Original post by Cyclo
I haven't really bothered looking at where I want to stay yet. Can't apply until May.

Just had a quick look at St Pat's and it looks good to me. :wink:

See you there then :wink: I get to apply in March - that's my excuse for being overexcited and already choosing which hall to apply to.
just got an offer for Law with legal studies in Europe :biggrin: anybody else recieved/waiting for an offer for this course? :smile:
Reply 485
Original post by KT9
See you there then :wink: I get to apply in March - that's my excuse for being overexcited and already choosing which hall to apply to.

Is this for everyone? Applying for accom?
i havent read very high up so if this makes so sense and ive got the complete wrong end of the stick and you arent talking about applying to accomodation..just ignore me :wink:
Reply 486
Original post by SeanaMay
i havent read very high up so if this makes so sense and ive got the complete wrong end of the stick and you arent talking about applying to accomodation..just ignore me :wink:

I think that if you have an unconditional offer then you can apply in March, but those with conditional offers have to wait until May.
Reply 487
Original post by SeanaMay

Yep, what Cyclo said :smile:
Reply 488
Original post by KT9
Yep, what Cyclo said :smile:

Have you looked in to student finances yet and know when that needs to be done by ?

There was a talk at college today detailing all this information, but I went home as i'm shattered:tongue:
Reply 489
I know that feeling, I did the same thing last year and am now regretting it. I logged onto student finance today to start my application and it said in big bold letters "1 MAY 2012", which turns out to be the deadline for the whole thing, including all of your evidence and the time it takes them to ask for it. You can still do it later than that but you won't get your first loan installment in time for the start of your course.

The form has been pretty straightforward thus far, but it took me an embarrassingly long time to work out my course finish date!
Reply 490
Original post by KT9
I know that feeling, I did the same thing last year and am now regretting it. I logged onto student finance today to start my application and it said in big bold letters "1 MAY 2012", which turns out to be the deadline for the whole thing, including all of your evidence and the time it takes them to ask for it. You can still do it later than that but you won't get your first loan installment in time for the start of your course.

The form has been pretty straightforward thus far, but it took me an embarrassingly long time to work out my course finish date!

Scratch that, I just went back on and it's 31 May 2012.
Reply 491
Original post by KT9

Cheers. That gives me time then to inevitably rush through it at the last minute.

Did you apply to Reading last year ?
Reply 492
Original post by Cyclo
Cheers. That gives me time then to inevitably rush through it at the last minute.

Did you apply to Reading last year ?

I'm so geared up to finally be off to Uni, even applying for student finance is keeping me entertained.

I actually didn't apply anywhere last year, one of my tutors told me I had a better chance of getting in if I applied once I already had my grades. (UED first attempt at AS). Having done it I disagree because I got much better AS grades than A2 but it all worked out in the end. What about you, how come you're applying as an old git?
Reply 493
Original post by KT9
I'm so geared up to finally be off to Uni, even applying for student finance is keeping me entertained.

I actually didn't apply anywhere last year, one of my tutors told me I had a better chance of getting in if I applied once I already had my grades. (UED first attempt at AS). Having done it I disagree because I got much better AS grades than A2 but it all worked out in the end. What about you, how come you're applying as an old git?

:laugh: I worked in IT for 4 years but it wasn't me. I felt like I wasn't achieving anything and that it was the sort of job that, the thought of seeing myself from the outside stuck in an office awaiting my 30 year service, horrified me. It was just a deflating dead end.

I'm quite an adventurous person that hates being stuck in a routine. My interest (and what I intend to study) in the weather made me jump at the chance to go tornado chasing in the US last May. It was an amazing experience. A couple of months later I quit my job and here I am working through an Access to He course at college and hoping to go on to Reading.:smile:
Reply 494
Hey guys, anyone applying for the agriculture and business management course?
Reply 495
Original post by drowners
Ah great! I hope its the same for me then :smile: Well Done, unconditional amazing!!Does that mean you already have the qualifications needed?
Its always nice to know you're wanted, even if you don't want to go there X)

So far ive got an offer from leeds for art and design, Plymouth for fine art (i really enjoyed the interview :smile:) and i need to sort a date for my lancaster interview, and gloucestershire want an eportfolio.
But I most want to hear from Reading! it's joint first with plymouth now :/
let me know if you hear anything else! x

It's such a good feeling! I was so shocked that it was unconditional, seeing as I haven't even finished A levels yet! So happy about it!
Ommmmg congrats on your offers at Leeds and Plymouth - that's amazing!
And more portfolios and interviews?! That's great news! The only people I've heard from are Kent! I really hope to hear from Reading soon too! So nervous!
Hopefully it'll all turn out well for the both of us!
Keep in touch, and tell me if you hear any more good news from anyone!
Reply 496
Original post by Cyclo
:laugh: I worked in IT for 4 years but it wasn't me. I felt like I wasn't achieving anything and that it was the sort of job that, the thought of seeing myself from the outside stuck in an office awaiting my 30 year service, horrified me. It was just a deflating dead end.

I'm quite an adventurous person that hates being stuck in a routine. My interest (and what I intend to study) in the weather made me jump at the chance to go tornado chasing in the US last May. It was an amazing experience. A couple of months later I quit my job and here I am working through an Access to He course at college and hoping to go on to Reading.:smile:

Wow, that's incredible, good for you. Best of luck with the rest of your course, you sound like just the kind of person who'll thrive at degree level. So what kind of career are you looking for afterwards? Are you going to be a storm chasing, mad professor type?:woo:
Reply 497
Original post by KT9
Wow, that's incredible, good for you. Best of luck with the rest of your course, you sound like just the kind of person who'll thrive at degree level. So what kind of career are you looking for afterwards? Are you going to be a storm chasing, mad professor type?:woo:

I'll have a good crack at it:smile: I enjoy my sport too and the number of clubs and the gym facilities look great to me. So that's another plus.

I'm not sure exactly what I want to do. Heard the money is in research so I may head down that route :wink: Would love to spend some time in the US, maybe as a reporter. We'll see.

What about your career prospects ? A trained eye at a crime scene maybe...
Reply 498
Original post by Cyclo
I'll have a good crack at it:smile: I enjoy my sport too and the number of clubs and the gym facilities look great to me. So that's another plus.

I'm not sure exactly what I want to do. Heard the money is in research so I may head down that route :wink: Would love to spend some time in the US, maybe as a reporter. We'll see.

What about your career prospects ? A trained eye at a crime scene maybe...

Yeah I'm loving the look of the facilities in the gym - bit disappointed that with all the martial arts they do, they don't do mine though:frown:.

I'm not really sure about what I want to do afterwards either, I've only chosen the 'with forensics' option because it looks really interesting. I guess I'll just see where the course takes me - I'll probably change my mind at the start of every module. I always had a faraway idea that I'd like to end up working for the UN or SIS or something! Then again storm chasing sounds like fun...
Reply 499
Original post by KT9
Yeah I'm loving the look of the facilities in the gym - bit disappointed that with all the martial arts they do, they don't do mine though:frown:.

I'm not really sure about what I want to do afterwards either, I've only chosen the 'with forensics' option because it looks really interesting. I guess I'll just see where the course takes me - I'll probably change my mind at the start of every module. I always had a faraway idea that I'd like to end up working for the UN or SIS or something! Then again storm chasing sounds like fun...

I did a bit of mma, but it wasn't really for me. Will be hoping to get in to the football team and might try out some of the water sports.

Best to keep your options open with potential career choices. For me it'll just be a relief doing something I enjoy. Storm chasing is good if you like the adrenalin rush and don't mind a bit of danger.