The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G484 Jan 2012 - The Newtonian World

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toshiya
Yeah the OCR markschemes are stupidly specific.

Yeaaah, maths, M1 and C3. I have chemistry tomorrow, M2 on Friday, and FP1 on Monday.

I have fewer exams than this spread out over May and June in the summer, it's insane! You?

I had M1, got FP1 on Monday as well.

I was never that sure about Maths until A level, I soo wish I had taken A level Further Maths at the beginning!! I only have time to do the AS :/

How confident are you on M1?
Reply 941
Original post by Beresford George
I had M1, got FP1 on Monday as well.

I was never that sure about Maths until A level, I soo wish I had taken A level Further Maths at the beginning!! I only have time to do the AS :/

How confident are you on M1?

I hate further maths haha, mainly because they've crammed the full AS level into half a school year so I really struggled with it. I don't think I'm going to do that well on any of the further maths modules because I've concentrated my revision on C3, physics and chem because they're the ones I need for uni.

That said, I don't think M1 went too bad and I'm okay with FP1. But M2... it will not go well :colondollar:
Reply 942
Where is the fields particles and frontiers thread?????
Original post by Toshiya
I hate further maths haha, mainly because they've crammed the full AS level into half a school year so I really struggled with it. I don't think I'm going to do that well on any of the further maths modules because I've concentrated my revision on C3, physics and chem because they're the ones I need for uni.

That said, I don't think M1 went too bad and I'm okay with FP1. But M2... it will not go well :colondollar:

Yeah did you have a look at the M1 mark scheme? I was convinced 16.4 was right for the last question because of what people said at school, but I got 11.6
Original post by Toshiya

Yeah did you have a look at the M1 mark scheme? I was convinced 16.4 was right for the last question because of what people said at school, but I got 11.6

I love the Further Maths I am doing!!!! I want to Maths at Uni so guess I would :P I have to do it half in my own time as well :smile:
Reply 945
Original post by Beresford George

I love the Further Maths I am doing!!!! I want to Maths at Uni so guess I would :P I have to do it half in my own time as well :smile:

Wellll I enjoy maths, just not trying to cram so much maths into so little time! None of the uni offers I've got so far include further maths though so I'm not too bothered. I'm doing it as an extra AS level anyway :smile:
Same :smile:
Reply 947
Original post by Ralphus J
Where is the fields particles and frontiers thread?????

Not been made yet, I don't think :tongue:
Reply 948
For the question about the orbits of the satellite and moon ratio, would this work:

I know the correct answer was.... the cube root of(T^2/T^2)= about 9.01 or something. But I did it like this.... In a panic I forgot the cube root and so got something like 754.8 ish. Would this work? Could the cube roots cancel out since they occur on both sides, effecting the value for the moon and the satellite?

don't know if that'll make sense, but thanks :smile:
Reply 949
Original post by wibletg
Not been made yet, I don't think :tongue:

oh..... wtf? lol
Reply 950
Original post by Ralphus J
oh..... wtf? lol

For January or June do you mean :tongue:
Original post by Chaddars
For the question about the orbits of the satellite and moon ratio, would this work:

I know the correct answer was.... the cube root of(T^2/T^2)= about 9.01 or something. But I did it like this.... In a panic I forgot the cube root and so got something like 754.8 ish. Would this work? Could the cube roots cancel out since they occur on both sides, effecting the value for the moon and the satellite?

don't know if that'll make sense, but thanks :smile:

er no.
Reply 952
what was the latent heat - was it fusion or vapourisation??

i can't even remember the change of state...
Reply 953
Original post by H_Rattan
what was the latent heat - was it fusion or vapourisation??

i can't even remember the change of state...

Solid to liquid, so it was fusion
Reply 954
Original post by wibletg
For January or June do you mean :tongue:

january
Reply 955
I thought this exam wasn't half bad tbh.
I left a couple answers blank I must admit. The Keplar's Law question, and the damping question!
A couple dodgy mistakes and answers I made/gave were...
Forgot that a W was a Js, so just used E=12, instead of E=12x60x60...would using E=12 only drop one of the marks, I did all the other conversions correctly???

For the escape velocity I simply wrote that Helium is lighter than air, so floats up!! Any chance whatsoever for a mark?

I think that's about it, undoubtedly there will be other errors in there!

Hoping for at least a B, but we shall see!
Reply 956
Original post by Shack93
Solid to liquid, so it was fusion

Yep
Reply 957
Original post by Stevo F
obviously its correct, why else would you put helium in your balloons? lol
I made another statement which is also correct too and I also dont know if it'll be credited with any marks :smile:

I meant correct as its a reason the atoms escape as solar wind blow them off the top of he atmosphere...i believe we all know there less dense haha
Reply 958
Original post by DrMute
I meant correct as its a reason the atoms escape as solar wind blow them off the top of he atmosphere...i believe we all know there less dense haha

well the fact they're less dense means it is A reason, its just about whether the examiners accept it as being an important enough reason :smile:

Sooo I recalled this paper as I did considerably worse than expected to find that my grade of a D was 39/60 raw mark, that 42 was a C and 38 an E wtf? that's ridiculous grade boundries I know how they get them but I mean 65% i'd expect at least a C for that -_-
Also anyone kno where I can find the mark scheme? :P as U can' r get hold of it grrrrr

Quick Reply

Latest