The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 4B Advanced Info Booklet

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by joljol1606
you choose how you would present data from a traffic survey and then you justify why. .

Wow I'd have no clue on how to approach that question:tongue:

My teacher has said it's more than likely that there will be a question on fieldwork (traffic survey) then a statistic. It's unlikely that the exam will join both of these questions into one?
Hey! I've just noticed that the Twin Sails Bridge has seen that our exam is about the bridge, so they have posted some useful information for us http://www.facebook.com/twinsailsbridge

You can get the link from there :biggrin:
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey! I've just noticed that the Twin Sails Bridge has seen that our exam is about the bridge, so they have posted some useful information for us http://www.facebook.com/twinsailsbridge

You can get the link from there :biggrin:

Oh thanks for that! That's unexpectedly nice of them :biggrin: Now to read my way through it and see if it really is useful.
Reply 43
Does anyone know of any deveopments that have taken place since the AIB was prepared in 2010? as the booklet specifically says this. Obviously the bridge is nearly completed, i think the asda has been built and is open and possibly some housing?
Reply 44
Original post by Mattt
Does anyone know of any deveopments that have taken place since the AIB was prepared in 2010? as the booklet specifically says this. Obviously the bridge is nearly completed, i think the asda has been built and is open and possibly some housing?

- Since it was published the bridge has ACTUALY been build
- IT has been test lifted in October 2010 and is due to open in March 2012
- They have begun constructing walkways to the bridge and traffic lights
- There have been changes to the road system (traffic on bay hog lane to take it to the new bridge
- Some planning permission has been accepted to build Gyms, Apartments and Restaurants opposite ASDA on west quay road

Hope that's helped! Theres my revision done for the day. Have resorted to regergitating information rather than thinking and understanding haha Good luck guys. Really need an A at the end of A2 and when it comes to common sense and statistics ... I am majorly lacking in that departement
so behind on this, have now till Thursday to get this done
I am dreading this exam. The material is fine, on the other hand, I am not looking forward to it as I don't know what questions can come up, and I can't do past paper questions! Have any of you talked about what types of questions could come up? :s-smilie: thanks :biggrin: x
Reply 47
I am dreading this exam. The material is fine, on the other hand, I am not looking forward to it as I don't know what questions can come up, and I can't do past paper questions! Have any of you talked about what types of questions could come up? :s-smilie: thanks :biggrin: x

I know exactly how you feel:biggrin:

I think a statistic will come up, either spearman's, Chi squared or Mann whitney

Also think something about fieldwork, as it says something about a traffic survey in the AIB.

Then something about the economical/social benefits compared to the environmental costs.
Original post by d_aan
I know exactly how you feel:biggrin:

I think a statistic will come up, either spearman's, Chi squared or Mann whitney

Also think something about fieldwork, as it says something about a traffic survey in the AIB.

Then something about the economical/social benefits compared to the environmental costs.

Its a pain isn't it?! And I need to revise Chi squared, (i do stats in Maths, so already know it, but we are covering it on my Monday geog lesson for the 1st time) and we have never done Mann Whitney D:, so hopefully that doesn't come up!)

I've done all the traffic survey stuff, just need to look over it, and that last question seems quite interesting, might need to look at that :smile:

I think maybe we should all together write down what types of questions we think could come up, so then we could all think of answers for all the possibilities of questions, so we have covered a greater range? Does that sound like a good idea? :biggrin:
Reply 49
Its a pain isn't it?! And I need to revise Chi squared, (i do stats in Maths, so already know it, but we are covering it on my Monday geog lesson for the 1st time) and we have never done Mann Whitney D:, so hopefully that doesn't come up!)

I've done all the traffic survey stuff, just need to look over it, and that last question seems quite interesting, might need to look at that :smile:

I think maybe we should all together write down what types of questions we think could come up, so then we could all think of answers for all the possibilities of questions, so we have covered a greater range? Does that sound like a good idea? :biggrin:

I wouldn't worry too much about Mann Whitney, our class spent two minutes on it and decided it is very unlikely it's going to come up. Although he said chi squared or the chi squared contingency test may come up?

Yeah that sounds like a great idea!

Statistic

Data representation- Choropleth/Pie/Bar

Eco/Soc VS Environmental costs

Twin Sails Bridge -Is it worth it?

Fieldwork

Appropriate Assessment - is it adequate enough?

Thats essentially the list my teacher has told me to revise, and i think it covers most of the questions they could ask?
Original post by d_aan
I wouldn't worry too much about Mann Whitney, our class spent two minutes on it and decided it is very unlikely it's going to come up. Although he said chi squared or the chi squared contingency test may come up?

Yeah that sounds like a great idea!

Statistic

Data representation- Choropleth/Pie/Bar

Eco/Soc VS Environmental costs

Twin Sails Bridge -Is it worth it?

Fieldwork

Appropriate Assessment - is it adequate enough?

Thats essentially the list my teacher has told me to revise, and i think it covers most of the questions they could ask?

Hopefully Mann Whitney won't come up :P And that sounds good...

If anyone has done the Zig Zag resources mock, you would know these questions, but if you haven't, then these might help....

- Using a range of data, to what extent does there seem to be a need for redevelopment in Poole? (8 Marks)

- 'Poole is already overcrowded and over developed. Hamworthy Gate should be returned to nature or used as parkland for the people of the Borough'. To what extent do you agree with this statement. (15 Marks)

- 'A lot of time and money has gone into the design of the Twin Sails Bridge, but little thought seems to have been taken over the road network'. What fieldwork data would you collect in order to prove/disprove this statement?

- Any regeneration of the old power station site will need careful management. Discuss the evidence for this. (10 marks)

- Taking into account the conclusions of the Appropriate Assessment, describe some of the main features that the development should have (10 Marks)

- Identify the main issues that have led to the building of the TSB and justify its design features. (12 marks)

- Discuss the extent to which the opening of the TSB will aid regeneration in Poole (10 marks)

- Describe and justify the methods you would use to gather evidence that a new bridge is needed (referring to the traffic fieldwork) (10 marks)

I hope that helps :biggrin: And thanks for your suggestions :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51

- Using a range of data, to what extent does there seem to be a need for redevelopment in Poole? (8 Marks)

I take it for this question, you'd talk about the employment structure at the SOA's near hamworthy gate and near the more populated inner city areas?

- 'Poole is already overcrowded and over developed. Hamworthy Gate should be returned to nature or used as parkland for the people of the Borough'. To what extent do you agree with this statement. (15 Marks)

This is a 15 mark question, so is it two different arguments?
What two arguments would you choose to talk about, i'm a bit stumped by this:tongue:

- 'A lot of time and money has gone into the design of the Twin Sails Bridge, but little thought seems to have been taken over the road network'. What fieldwork data would you collect in order to prove/disprove this statement?

This is okay actually! I think you'd talk about doing a traffic survey on the old bridge to collect stats on how many cars currently use the old bridge and if congestion is a major problem?

- Any regeneration of the old power station site will need careful management. Discuss the evidence for this. (10 marks)

You'd talk about the appropriate assessment? As in the restriction of penumatic drills to 300Meters to reduce the noise which affects the wildlife? etc?

- Taking into account the conclusions of the Appropriate Assessment, describe some of the main features that the development should have (10 Marks)

Same as above?

- Identify the main issues that have led to the building of the TSB and justify its design features. (12 marks)

design features?:biggrin:
All i know is that the pictures look a million times better than what it actually looks like

- Discuss the extent to which the opening of the TSB will aid regeneration in Poole (10 marks)

I have a sheet for this: you'd talk about..

PRO: reduce congestion -20k car trips a day

Links the 26HA of land at hamworthy gate with rest of town

Iconic design- flagship project which will attract new investors

CONS: Link roads are confusing

CONS: Big lorries not allowed near residential areas, so they'd have to use old bridge

residents seem to think a flyover would have been better

I hope that helps :biggrin: And thanks for your suggestions :biggrin:

We did a mock last week, but I think we used the other questions from the zigzag booklet. I could post those up as well if anybody's interested?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
My teacher seems to be addicted to 'what should we develop at Hamworthy Gate' She got us all to write down our ideas and justify, then we put them all together. We did the same for adv/disadv of the Twin Sails Bridge which was pretty useful.
does anyone know about the redevelopments in and around poole since the aib was written two years ago? (ie other than twin sails)
Reply 54
Original post by stevop21
My teacher seems to be addicted to 'what should we develop at Hamworthy Gate' She got us all to write down our ideas and justify, then we put them all together. We did the same for adv/disadv of the Twin Sails Bridge which was pretty useful.

Can you post it here please?
Reply 55
Does anyone know how much of our own knowledge we're supposed to bring in? I know that the idea is to make links between the information that we're given in the AIB, but are they testing synopticity as well? I have a feeling there will be a question about the advantages of building on brownfield sites or the advantages of mixed-use developments in the context of Poole.
Reply 56
If we are doing a traffic survey...

how would we do it?
and what tests would you use to analyse and present the data, justifying it and giving advantages and disadvantages?
Reply 57
If we have to do Chi squared or Mann-Whitney, will we be given tables of critical values and significance levels?
Original post by Deceiver
If we have to do Chi squared or Mann-Whitney, will we be given tables of critical values and significance levels?

Yes! It will just be the chi square, Mann-Whitney or Spearman's rank tables themselves and all you'll need to do is fill in a couple of boxes, do the end equations and then they'll give you the tables to find the significance of the result from.
Reply 59
This is such an awkward exam to revise for. Not an awful lot you can do really except plan the questions already suggested. You cant really practice other papers as they all depend alot on their individual AIB's.

As silly as this probably sounds, what would be your hypothesis for a traffic survey? My mind is a bit confused over this fieldwork and isnt helped when you cant actually be there yourself!

Quick Reply