The Student Room Group

Social Work 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Thanks for that info.. Had an interview at derby and their written piece involved writing a summery (which I took as your written ability) and a question which involved social work.
Reply 61
That's okay I'm happy to help where and if I can, good luck!! =D
Reply 62
Has anyone heard from UWE yet?
(Apart from the questionnaire - I've sent that back..)

x
Reply 63
Has anyone got a test at wolverhampton tomorrow???
Reply 64
Original post by 01tdavies

Has anyone heard from UWE yet?
(Apart from the questionnaire - I've sent that back..)

x

I got an interview on 3rd February but I already had another interview scheduled for then so I had to request a different date. They haven't gotten back to me yet though so I'm praying they'll be able to reschedule it. The other unis were really accommodating so hopefully they'll be the same :s-smilie:
Reply 65
Original post by TMaj
I got an interview on 3rd February but I already had another interview scheduled for then so I had to request a different date. They haven't gotten back to me yet though so I'm praying they'll be able to reschedule it. The other unis were really accommodating so hopefully they'll be the same :s-smilie:

Urgh, that's annoying. They're very slow so hopefully you'll be in the next batch.
When did you send your application?x
Reply 66
Anyone got an interview at Leeds Uni on the 13th feb?
Reply 67
Anyone have any idea how to explain the 'Social Care Systems in the UK' or a website that shows them?
Thanksss x
Reply 68
Try the community care website and google it =]

I found this which may help http://www.dh.gov.uk/health/category/policy-areas/social-care/
Had my interview today at Salford, in my opinion it went really well.
Only thing that made me nervous was the fact that everybody was a lot older than me with a lot more experience than me whether that be personal or life. Also they stated that they were interviewing 400 people and there was only enough places for 70 people. Just going to keep my fingers crossed as I've done everything I can possibly do now :smile:
Reply 70

Urgh, that's annoying. They're very slow so hopefully you'll be in the next batch.
When did you send your application?x

Yeah I've been checking the portal thing like crazy haha. I sent mine on 8th November. When did you send yours?

Original post by SaraLouise123
Only thing that made me nervous was the fact that everybody was a lot older than me with a lot more experience than me whether that be personal or life. Also they stated that they were interviewing 400 people and there was only enough places for 70 people. Just going to keep my fingers crossed as I've done everything I can possibly do now :smile:

Congrats, it's definitely a good sign if you felt it went well :smile: I had the same problem with Nottingham Trent. The majority of people there were a lot older me and they interview a lot of people for around 60 places. It was so intimidating and I'm pretty positive I'll never get a place since the interview went so badly haha
Reply 71
I sent mine 16th December.
I spoke to a nice lady today at the University of Gloucestershire, who said that if you haven't had a UCAS rejection by now then it sounds good for interviews.
She was in the process of arranging the next batch and that letters will be sent out as soon as possible. :smile:
Reply 72
Got offers from Huddersfield, Hull and Leeds met :biggrin:
Reply 73
Original post by L2307

Original post by L2307
Anyone had an interview at leeds uni?

When is your interview for? I have mine on 1st feb, very nervous!
Reply 74
Original post by ACN
When is your interview for? I have mine on 1st feb, very nervous!

Mine is the 13th feb!
Reply 75
Hiya!

I've had two interviews so far, at Kingston and Brighton.
I was unsuccessful at both! :frown: Kingston I wasn't surprised about as I was sooo nervous but I actually got a good vibe from Brighton so couldn't help but be a bit gutted!

At Kingston we had to watch a DVD of two carers talking about their views and experiences of social workers. We then had to answer two comprehension questions, which I think were:
What views do they express and how do they differ from one another,
Has this DVD changed or developed your views in any way, and if so, how?

That I found fairly easy, we had about 45 minutes to do the written bit I think.
Everybody who passed the test was allowed to stay, people who didn't were sent hope! Quite nerve racking when you're split up into two groups and you aren't sure if you're one of the 'keepers' or not! We were then given a presentation about the course and then had indivual interviews with one member of academic staff and a service user (although my service user hadn't been able to make it). I don't think there were any questions that were particularly unusual from memory but I completely let my nerves get the better of me and at the end of the interview I was told "I'm going to give you some immediate feedback: you said that you are emotionally stable, but you don't come across it in interviews. This is an important part of social work. Are you normally this nervous?". That did not do much to calm my nerves lol! So yes, I would maybe not recommend claiming to be emotionally stable when you're fumbling over your words - lesson learnt haha!

Brighton wasn't quite so traumatic! Again, we were given a presentation by a member of staff, 1 carer and 2 social work practitioners. We were then interviewed by member of staff + 1 of the other three. They were all very friendly and did their best to make everybody feel at ease. The interview lasted for about 40 mins but went very quickly! Again, I can't think now of any massively unusual questions but there were a couple that caught me off guard, will write again if I remember them! We then had to read an article written by a service user who had been selected for 'personalisation' and give our views on it. This shook me a little as it's not something I had any prior knowledge about but they're only assessing your writing abilities and views really and don't expect you to have prior knowledge so don't worry!

I have an interview at Bath on the 8th Feb (Aaaaaaaaahh!!) which I am very excited/ nervous about, one @ Bournemouth on the 23rd and haven't sent my questionnaire back to UWE yet. Has nobody else found the questions quite probing? lol. Soo hard trying to think of a time when I've been angry or upset someone but turning it into a positive ::s-smilie:

Hope this helps someone because I've found it very useful reading through everyone elses posts!
Reply 76
Original post by vcarey
Hiya!

I've had two interviews so far, at Kingston and Brighton.
I was unsuccessful at both! :frown: Kingston I wasn't surprised about as I was sooo nervous but I actually got a good vibe from Brighton so couldn't help but be a bit gutted!

At Kingston we had to watch a DVD of two carers talking about their views and experiences of social workers. We then had to answer two comprehension questions, which I think were:
What views do they express and how do they differ from one another,
Has this DVD changed or developed your views in any way, and if so, how?

That I found fairly easy, we had about 45 minutes to do the written bit I think.
Everybody who passed the test was allowed to stay, people who didn't were sent hope! Quite nerve racking when you're split up into two groups and you aren't sure if you're one of the 'keepers' or not! We were then given a presentation about the course and then had indivual interviews with one member of academic staff and a service user (although my service user hadn't been able to make it). I don't think there were any questions that were particularly unusual from memory but I completely let my nerves get the better of me and at the end of the interview I was told "I'm going to give you some immediate feedback: you said that you are emotionally stable, but you don't come across it in interviews. This is an important part of social work. Are you normally this nervous?". That did not do much to calm my nerves lol! So yes, I would maybe not recommend claiming to be emotionally stable when you're fumbling over your words - lesson learnt haha!

Brighton wasn't quite so traumatic! Again, we were given a presentation by a member of staff, 1 carer and 2 social work practitioners. We were then interviewed by member of staff + 1 of the other three. They were all very friendly and did their best to make everybody feel at ease. The interview lasted for about 40 mins but went very quickly! Again, I can't think now of any massively unusual questions but there were a couple that caught me off guard, will write again if I remember them! We then had to read an article written by a service user who had been selected for 'personalisation' and give our views on it. This shook me a little as it's not something I had any prior knowledge about but they're only assessing your writing abilities and views really and don't expect you to have prior knowledge so don't worry!

I have an interview at Bath on the 8th Feb (Aaaaaaaaahh!!) which I am very excited/ nervous about, one @ Bournemouth on the 23rd and haven't sent my questionnaire back to UWE yet. Has nobody else found the questions quite probing? lol. Soo hard trying to think of a time when I've been angry or upset someone but turning it into a positive ::s-smilie:

Hope this helps someone because I've found it very useful reading through everyone elses posts!

Good luck for your interview at Bath - any feedback from it would be reeeaaallllyy appreciated!! I still haven't heard from Bath yet, or UWE :frown: :confused:
Reply 77
Has anyone heard any news from QUB or UUC for 2012 entry?
Reply 78
Original post by SaraLouise123

I went to a test at wolverhampton and i found this too there was about 20 people at the test and there was only me and two other girls who looked like they were applying straight from school or college, but they have to give a number of places to mature students each year don't they?
Reply 79
Original post by Neards

Original post by Neards
Has anyone heard any news from QUB or UUC for 2012 entry?

I have an interview in QUB on 3rd February :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest