The Student Room Group

Body Fat Percentage

I'm 16, 5'11 and 70kg. Looking at these 2 pictures what do you think my body fat percentage is?

Scroll to see replies

hard to tell, 10% maybe? better pics would be needed for a more accurate estimate
Reply 2
1.5 max
Reply 3
7 or 8 I'd say
Reply 4
bump :smile:
Reply 5
Im unsure but I reckon around 10-14%,you'd do better to use an online calc tbh.
Reply 6
Your abs are visible, that only happens at about 10% and below. You're definitely not 14% though, I'm about 15% and nowhere near that lean.
Reply 7
Original post by hookguy
Your abs are visible, that only happens at about 10% and below. You're definitely not 14% though, I'm about 15% and nowhere near that lean.

It depends for different people, my body fat is 15-16% and my abs are defined. I think if it were below 10% the abs would look crazily ripped (just my opinion.)
Reply 8
Original post by duharvalgt
It depends for different people, my body fat is 15-16% and my abs are defined. I think if it were below 10% the abs would look crazily ripped (just my opinion.)

true, differs wildly for different people, I'm about 15% and you can only see my top 2 abs. Though I think its because the OP is pretty skinny there's not much muscle in the abs which is why they don't appear large.
Reply 9
About 12%
10-12% hard to tell from those pics though
Reply 11
very poor pics, but 11-13. no lower.
Reply 12
Im unsure but I reckon around 10-14%,you'd do better to use an online calc tbh.

yes, they are really accurate....

if u take a picture from camera made in the century ill be able to tell you.
Original post by sconter
yes, they are really accurate....

if u take a picture from camera made in the century ill be able to tell you.

at least they're more accurate than a guess from a picture...
Reply 14

nope.

im pretty good at bf% estimations. and its not a guess.
skin fold calculators are COMPLETELY inaccurate, literally may aswell add up today's lottery numbers and divide by 8, and that will come out with a number equally as accurate.the machines at the gym are also useless. BODPOD or nothing.
Def need more pics, front, back, no flexing. And people should also take into account skinny =/= low body fat.

Anyway here is an example of approx 15% body fat (pics on the right):

Not sure about that, some of the numbers those calculators throw out.....I think a guess, even from a totally clueless person would be more accurate!
And here are a couple more examples of different fat percentages (both measured by DEXA scan).

12.5% body fat:

17.6% body fat:

Amazing how the difference of even just 2-3% body fat either way can have such an impact on how one's physique looks. And also goes to show that skinny does not necessarily mean a lower body fat percentage.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by StressReliever
Not sure about that, some of the numbers those calculators throw out.....I think a guess, even from a totally clueless person would be more accurate!

I suppose they are a little unreliable , I did an online calc about 2 months ago and it said I was about 16% bf http://www.myfitnesspal.com/duharvalgt ,(my profile pic was take around then), I had my bf% checked around the same time and I was 14.5% and that's fairly close tbh.
I suppose they are a little unreliable , I did an online calc about 2 months ago and it said I was about 16% bf http://www.myfitnesspal.com/duharvalgt ,(my profile pic was take around then), I had my bf% checked around the same time and I was 14.5% and that's fairly close tbh.

I think you just got lucky with that calculator then, although you can see from my examples above that even the variation of just a couple of percent body fat can look VERY different.

Quick Reply