The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE PHYSICS UNIT 2 PHY2H January 2012 Unofficial mark scheme

1a) Friction between the pipe and the beads causes electrons to be transferred from the pipe to the beads (3)
ii) Volume of beads (1) Other correct variable as well
iii) As size increases, charge decreases (1)
b) All of the charges decrease as the pipe is shorter so there is less friction (2)
c) Fine particles- smaller particles have a higher charge due to surface area (1)
ii) Earth the pipes/ make pipes from antistatic material / shorten the pipes (1)
iii) Temperature, pressure and other variables might affect the MEI value/ results (1)
2a) Nuclear fusion is the joining together of small nuclei to form large nuclei whilst nuclear fission is the splitting up of large nuclei to form small nuclei. Nuclear fusion needs extreme temperatures to take place whilst fission doesn’t. (2)
ii) energy/ heat (1)
b) i) Uranium -235 (1) or just Uranium
ii) Same number of protons (1)
3a) Constant speed, accelerating, decelerating (3)
b)The distance travelled whilst the car is breaking (1)
ii) Speed (1)
c) 5000N on the car (to the left in the diagram) (1)
ii) To measure the force exerted on the dummy (1)
iii) 4 m/s^2 (3)
4 a) 2V (2)
ii) Straight line from origin to (2,0.8) Curved line from (2,0.8) to (12,2) (2)
iii) The filament lamp becomes hotter, (voltage increases faster than the current????) (1)
b) 108 J (2)
5 a) Pudding was positive with an equal but opposite charge to the electrons (1)
b) Experiments didn’t support pudding model but supported nuclear model (1)
ii) Most of the atom is empty space so many particles travelled through without being deflected (1) Nucleus is small and has positive charge so deflects reasonably nearby alpha particles slightly (1) Nucleus has a large mass and strong positive charge so deflects nearby alpha particles by large angles (1)
c) Results provided evidence for Rutherford’s theories suggesting his theories are right (1)
6a) 98 J (2)
b) 9.6 kgm/s (2)
ii) 9600N (1)
iii) Increases time catching the ball, decreasing the rate of change of momentum, reducing the force on the fielder’s hand. (2)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what if i wrote amount of beads for the 1aii?

for 6 i got 4.8kgm/s and after that i got 4800N :/
Reply 2
i got energy for 2aii as fusion does not release neutrons
Reply 3
Original post by PoorLoser
what if i wrote amount of beads for the 1aii?

for 6 i got 4.8kgm/s and after that i got 4800N :/

I don't think you will get the mark for 1 a) ii) as the amount of beads will change with size if volume stays the same
You MIGHT get one mark for 4.8 kgm/s but you will definitely get the mark for 4800N due to error carried forward!:smile:
Reply 4
2a)ii) is neutrons the only answer there? i put energy. it asked what they both release, so im assuming energy would be acceptable too
Reply 5
Original post by aimes12

Yes fusion does release neutrons, not sure about energy although they obviously both do release energy!
Reply 6
Original post by metaltron

b) i) Uranium -238 (1) or just Uranium

I think it's Uranium -235 that fissile, not -238.
Reply 7
I don't think you will get the mark for 1 a) ii) as the amount of beads will change with size if volume stays the same
You MIGHT get one mark for 4.8 kgm/s but you will definitely get the mark for 4800N due to error carried forward!:smile:

That's a relief!
Reply 8
Original post by outsider95
2a)ii) is neutrons the only answer there? i put energy. it asked what they both release, so im assuming energy would be acceptable too

i put energy too!
Reply 9
Yes fusion does release neutrons, not sure about energy although they obviously both do release energy!

Oh no it doesn't...

I have a feeling this mark scheme isn't very accurate...
Thankyou!:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by outsider95

I said the same thing, i thought that question was weird as there was two answers! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by USB
Oh no it doesn't...

look it up!
Reply 13
Original post by USB
Oh no it doesn't...

it may not be the best, and obviously there will be some mistakes, but lets just be grateful that someone took the time to put a mark scheme up for us :smile:

also, when 2 hydrogen make a helium a neutron is freed, he is right.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
According to this, I got somewhere between 38 and 40. I really hope that's right!
Reply 15
so do you think we would get the mark for saying they both release energy?
Your answer for 2aii is wrong.
What was 'neutrons' the answer to? 2a ii?
Reply 18
Energy is released from both fusion and fission so don't worry if you're panicking because it says neutrons here. Neutrons might be a more upper-market answer or something but I never knew that fusion released neutrons.
Reply 19
Original post by aimes12

Original post by aimes12

It's radiation.

Quick Reply

Latest