The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Chinese Studies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60

Thanks, the links working but my computers being a little slow atm haha :s

Looks like I'l be going to the one on 15th of Feb when it finishes booking :smile: anyone else that day?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 61
I think i got the wrong letter in my post, the sheet says "thank you for coming to the open day" etc as if I'd already been... Hmm... Shall I just book One anyway?
How long after your offer did you guys get the letter?

And I'd say book one anyway, I haven't even got a letter yet and I have...
Reply 63
Less then a week, it just had things like admissions information and the seas newsletter, if you went to Sheffield in the summer and had the east Asian studies talk, it's basically the stuff they gave out then.

Speaking of which.... Do you think the talk/day will be the same?
I don't think so. That was a general uni-wide Open Day with just an hour talk, and this is specifically for those who have applied and got an offer. It's I think 3 hours or so of just EA Studies and we talk to current students and other things. It shows a schedule after you book a place.
Reply 65
Original post by KatYXT
Thanks, the links working but my computers being a little slow atm haha :s

Looks like I'l be going to the one on 15th of Feb when it finishes booking :smile: anyone else that day?

Yep I'm booked into that one :smile:
From what I remember they do a general SEAS talk for all prospective undergrads (Japanese, Korean and Chinese studies.) Then you can ask questions and things, also I remember being shown some of the facilities, like the Confucius institute and things. After the general talk you get split off into different groups for each area of study - when I went there were maybe 5 people in the Chinese studies talk with their parents, so you get a good chance to ask any questions as well.
Make sure you ask as many questions as you feel you need to as well, cause it really does help, and it kind of gives you an incentive to work, cause it actually sinks in that what you'll be doing is going to happen, haha.
Reply 67
Resssuurrreeccttiiooonnn!!

How did January exams go my lovely Chinese brethren?
Reply 68
Resurrection attempt number 2 :wink:
I have no idea how my January exams went :\ Yours?

Also, I got an offer for Chinese Studies at Durham today... I'm still trying to process it! Sheffield or Durham? :\ Did anyone else apply at Durham?
Korean reinforcements!~

Durham seemed like a really good place when I was still looking into doing Classics, but that wasn't really an in-depth look into the uni and more just looking at courses and seeing who was high in the league tables. Plus it's way way way way way way too far for me.

I say Sheffield so we can become the best of chums ;3 Both the courses seem rather similar to me, although Durham seems to have more options on it's year abroad...
Reply 70
Durham sounds like it would be more intimate and it is the more prestigious Uni as well. The option to go to either Peking or Tsinghua Universities in China which are ranked 1 and 2 respectively is appealing as well. I don't like the fact that you go abroad in the 3rd year however, and the course hasn't been running for anywhere near as long as Sheffields so there doesn't seem to be as much information about the course.

And... I still have no idea ¬_¬
That does sound rather good. Well, the only research I've done has been Sheffield-centric, so I can't really help you. Have you went to an Open Day there or will there be one soon? It might be easier to wait until then to make a decision.
Reply 72
YAY STUFF IS HAPPENING!

My January resits went much better then I thought they would, so hopefully improvements across the 3 subjects I re-sat! Unfortunately my A2 exams weren't so peachy! :frown: but we shall see!

I did not apply to Durham, my choices areeee Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham and edge hill

Originally I was going to have edge hill as my insurace, but I really don't want to do there :frown:
My Leeds offer is the same as Sheffield, so that can't be my insurace... Manchester offered me AAB (Higher than my predicted grades) and a condition is I resit my GCSE Frence... (not gonna happen) so that blows them out of the water, which is unfortunate as it says AAB-BBB for them on UCAS, would of liked them as my insurace...

Nottingham haven't contacted me since November, but my course "chinese and international business" or whatever it's called is "incredibly popular"? Really? And as a result my application is on hold.

I take that to mean they will probably reject me but if they don't have many more better apps by the end of January they might give me an offer, but that's gonna be ABB aswell, so I am confused.

I guess I just have to get into Sheffield! :biggrin:

Looking forward to going back to Sheffield on the 15th for another nosey and the talks and stuff. Unfortunately my mother is taking me this time. (this is very bad news!) She is going to ask rediculous questions.. and be.. motherlike... AHH!
You're going on the 15th? Yay! Everyone in the Korean thread is going in March D: I'm worried I'll be the only Korean applicant there and will have to go off on my own to talk with the Korean students D: My mum's going to be there too, and I think that'll make me ask less questions because that means someone I know will be there and that makes me self-concious ._.

I was considering Leeds as an insurance, but then they went and gave me an AAB offer despite saying it'll be ABC-BBB (or something similar) on the course page. So I think I'll just put Sheffield as both Firm and Insurance since I have 3 offers from them to choose from :3
Reply 74
Haha yeah I am exactly the same with my mum! She already isn't overly supportive with my degree choice (but she saw how much I loved the country when we went on holiday there) so she knows i'm gonna work hard and stuff.. I went with my brother the first time, and he is more supportive and thinks that doing something I like is much better then doing something generic like he did.

I thought some of my offers would be lower then ABB to be honest, i'm a bit peeved that they aren't! It leaves me with Sheffield and edge hill.. Which is like "we want you to have 15 ucas points" ,... okay it's a bit more then that.. But in my head, somewhere with such low entry requirements is either a bad university, a course that is failing, or desperate for people to pick it...

I want Sheffield! :biggrin:
Haha yeah, my only other one is UCLan who want really low points, so they're barely an option since I don't feel it'd be a decent course.
My brother has said it's a pointless course, but he didn't even go Uni so screw him :tongue: He's incredibly close-minded and ignorant anyway so meh it's to be expected. My mum seemed a bit weirded out by my choice at first (I'm not even sure she knew I had any interest at all in the region) and keeps joking saying why would I want to do it since if I go China I'll die in an landslide, if I go Japan I'll die in a earthquake, and if I go South Korea I'll get nuked by the North :tongue: But she doesn't seem too bothered. I think taking her to the talk at the September Open Day helped cus she actually found out the type of stuff I'll do and that's it's not just some random language course, but also History and stuff, which is what I was originally planning to do. I think her main problem now is how far away Sheffield is and the cost of getting there since we're all the way down here in the South-West.
Reply 76
Oh that's good that your mum is now on side! :smile: My brother did terribly at A-Levels and did a degree he didn't want to do but is doing quite alright out of it! (now earns nearly double my mum!)

Hmm, I hope my mum like yours will understand a bit more come the 15th, but she is a bit set in her ways sometimes.

Also, the thing my mum keeps doing is saying things like "I wonder if you will meet any Chinese girlfriends on your year abroad" or "I wonder what my grandchildren will look like with an asian mother". Granted, I find asian women very atttractive! But it's still cringey D:

Alot of my friends keep saying things like that too... hmph.

My mum wants to move into her manfriends house (not boyfriend as he's old!) ((well, the same age as her but older then me!)) so is looking forward to me leaving, Sheffield is nearer to his house then my current house in Suffolk so I will get visited more :frown: boo.
Well I dunno if she's necessarily 'on side', since it doesn't really tend to come up, but it's not like she's saying anything explicitly negative about it which is good I suppose. I didn't even tell her what course I was planning to do until a couple weeks before the Open Day anyway, so she didn't really have time to question me other than one night where she was asking me a lot about it :tongue: But she wasn't questioning why I would want to do it so much after the talk. Oh god, I wonder if I'll be getting questions like that soon too ._. My friends have said things like that before :tongue: Although mostly I just get made fun of since I go to a grammar school, so it's full of snobby dicks who think anything other than Maths, Chemistry and Physics is worthless >.>

Unlucky :tongue: Almost the entirety of my family lives around the South-West and a couple in the South-East, so I'll have an excuse to see them as little often as I please :tongue:
Reply 78
Hello Everyone, i'm currently a second year student living in China right now, remembered how much help this topic was when i was applying so if anyone has anyway questions, feel free to ask, will be happy to help!
Reply 79
Original post by ZombieYoshi
Well I dunno if she's necessarily 'on side', since it doesn't really tend to come up, but it's not like she's saying anything explicitly negative about it which is good I suppose. I didn't even tell her what course I was planning to do until a couple weeks before the Open Day anyway, so she didn't really have time to question me other than one night where she was asking me a lot about it :tongue: But she wasn't questioning why I would want to do it so much after the talk. Oh god, I wonder if I'll be getting questions like that soon too ._. My friends have said things like that before :tongue: Although mostly I just get made fun of since I go to a grammar school, so it's full of snobby dicks who think anything other than Maths, Chemistry and Physics is worthless >.>

Unlucky :tongue: Almost the entirety of my family lives around the South-West and a couple in the South-East, so I'll have an excuse to see them as little often as I please :tongue:

What?!?!?! D: I go to a grammar school and the reaction I get from people is how awesome and cool it sounds.

Quick Reply

Latest