The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 4B Advanced Info Booklet

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Sophie1805
Guys.. Help needed for this question... It's 12 marks and I have only written 3 paragraphs. Any suggestions?

6) Not everyone in Poole is subjective to redevelopment. Why may some individuals object to the development of Hamworthy Gate? (12 marks)

You can mention that the new redevelopment will bring noise and light pollution, and all the new residents will put a strain on services - where will all the new residents' children go to school? Bringing in all these new businesses and homes will also mean there will be a lot more cars and lorries driving to the site, which could create congestion, especially on the already busy, single carriageway B3068.

There's also the example of the one boating business that had to relocate as it was caught in between the two bridges and would've had awful access.

The Bournemouth Echo's a great place to go to get the views of the countless angry residents.
Reply 181
No, it's basically opposite the railway station, according to Google Maps
Reply 182
Guys.. Help needed for this question... It's 12 marks and I have only written 3 paragraphs. Any suggestions?

Perhaps it could be worth mentioning there was some damage to the local Ecology in Holes Bay from development in the 1960's thus locals fear a similar event may happen?
Original post by dannyk
You can mention that the new redevelopment will bring noise and light pollution, and all the new residents will put a strain on services - where will all the new residents' children go to school? Bringing in all these new businesses and homes will also mean there will be a lot more cars and lorries driving to the site, which could create congestion, especially on the already busy, single carriageway B3068.

There's also the example of the one boating business that had to relocate as it was caught in between the two bridges and would've had awful access.

The Bournemouth Echo's a great place to go to get the views of the countless angry residents.

Thankyou, you have been soooo helpful!! :smile:

Do you have an article directly about the relocation of the boating business? A google search wasn't enough! :smile: x
Original post by ~S94
Perhaps it could be worth mentioning there was some damage to the local Ecology in Holes Bay from development in the 1960's thus locals fear a similar event may happen?

Brilliant! Love that suggestion! Thanks!
Does any one think chi square will come up ??

as i hate it !!
Reply 186
If they do ask us to do a choropleth map, will the groupings need to be shown with lines of differing widths or will different colours/shades suffice?
Original post by dannyk

Completely agree, it's difficult to find an article about the regeneration that doesn't have a comment from an angry resident. How accurate and representative of the general population these comments are however I do not know...
Reply 188
Original post by hannahm2310

as i hate it !!

We'll probably have to state a null and alternate hypothesis, fill in three or four boxes and then compare to a significance table. They won't make us do a whole stats test. Chi square may come up, mann-whitney U and SRCC also equally likely imo.
Original post by ThatsJustTooBad
Will anyone help me on Chi squared and how to do a traffic survery, I have pages of notes on them but I obviously wasn't listening as I made them as none of them make sense!

Look previously in my posts on this thread, I posted a detail 10 mark answer for the traffic survey question :smile: For Chi Squared just have a look at the pros and cons. (Don't take my word for it, but it is rumoured that Spearman's rank is much more likely to come up)
Original post by PeteNeal
If they do ask us to do a choropleth map, will the groupings need to be shown with lines of differing widths or will different colours/shades suffice?

I've been told that because the papers are scanned it's advisable to use lines/crosshatching etc. instead of shading. I think if there is a chloropleth question it's very likely we'll either have to finish a map off, or construct one using a pre determined key as I can see there being too many problems otherwise.
Original post by Olliequic
We'll probably have to state a null and alternate hypothesis, fill in three or four boxes and then compare to a significance table. They won't make us do a whole stats test. Chi square may come up, mann-whitney U and SRCC also equally likely imo.

Oh i think i will be able to do that - degrees of freedom-siginifantance

thank you
Reply 192
Thankyou, you have been soooo helpful!! :smile:

Do you have an article directly about the relocation of the boating business? A google search wasn't enough! :smile: x

No problem, your answers have really helped me too :smile:

And yeah link is http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/archive/2011/11/22/News+%28db_news%29/9376868.Right_move_for_Jenkins_Marine/
Original post by hannahm2310

as i hate it !!

Speaking from a statistical point of view, no. SRCC is much more likely to prove what you would want to prove in fieldwork. Spearmans compares two real variables against each other whilst chi-square compares results to 'theoretical' results or so to speak and shows the significance between them which isn't particular useful for the work that we are doing!
Original post by stevop21
speaking from a statistical point of view, no. Srcc is much more likely to prove what you would want to prove in fieldwork. Spearmans compares two real variables against each other whilst chi-square compares results to 'theoretical' results or so to speak and shows the significance between them which isn't particular useful for the work that we are doing!

ok

thank you so much :smile:
I didn't think it was possible to do as little revision for an exam as I have for this...
good luck everyone :smile:
Am I getting on everyone's nerves keep posting on here? If so, I shall get lost... But personally, it really is helping me with all of your responses!!

Here is my final answer for the previous question I posted, again, any recommendations muchly appreciated :smile:

6) Not everyone in Poole is subjective to redevelopment. Why may some individuals object to the development of Hamworthy Gate? (12 marks)

The regeneration of the Hamworthy Gate will mean a lot of demolition and construction work in order to build the foundations for new businesses and for commercial use. During the demolition and construction it is likely to heavily congest the area, in particular Blandford Road (B3068) and surrounding areas in Lower Hamworthy. The plan is to introduce commercial buildings and a limit has been set to 6 storeys high, however this could create an unpleasant site for the residents. The idea is to create an ‘urban village’. The locals may not appreciate their idyllic harbour being transformed into an industrialised, economic hub.

Additionally, the increased supply of housing (approximately 3,000 homes) may lead to reduced house prices this may not be beneficial to the locals, especially as those who live in owner occupied dwellings is considerably higher then that of the national average (referenced from Figure P6).

Furthermore ‘The town is built around Poole Harbour, which locals claim is the second biggest natural harbour I the world.” the development of Hamworthy Gate and surrounding areas is going to bring disruption to the natural habitats in the area such as the saltmarsh and wetland. The locals may disprove of the interruptions to the ecology that the development will bring.

In addition to these problems, local residents may object to the visual pollution the regeneration will bring, such as light pollution; and not to forget the noise pollution from concrete breaking and pneumatic drills. The regeneration programme is likely to take atleast 20 months and this is likely to displease the locals.

The long-term issues may be that the introduction of new houses and jobs may mean that it puts a strain on the services in Hamworthy. The new residents are going to need doctors services, schools for their children and to use the shops. This is likely to disrupt the day-to-day services of the residents, and could actually cause friction between the original and new residents.

The new businesses, which will be situated on the 4,000 square metres of the Hamworthy Gate site, are likely to increase the traffic to and from the site, i.e. with haulage and lorries delivery goods and transporting goods. This is again, likely to cause friction with residents, especially those situated closely to the Hamworthy Gate site such as on the already busy, single carriageway, Blandford Road (B3068).

A major Poole marine firm was forced to relocate because of the new Twin Sails Bridge. ‘Jenkins Marine’ has had to move from its base at the former power station site on the Back Water Channel. This is due to the fact that Poole Harbour Commissioners ruled that for safety reasons vessels would no longer be able to dock in the basin between the two bridges as the space would be needed for boats on their way in and out. The marine company has had to invest more than £400,000 into its new HQ on the edge of Poole Harbour. This is likely to displease the residents, and the owners of firms just like ‘Jenkins Marine’. This is a reason why locals may object to the regeneration scheme.
Reply 198
Am I getting on everyone's nerves keep posting on here? If so, I shall get lost... But personally, it really is helping me with all of your responses!!

Here is my final answer for the previous question I posted, again, any recommendations muchly appreciated :smile:

Looks great to me :smile:. Though I'd say noise and light pollution could be long term too.

Just one last thing I thought of, you could mention Ivor Road - it's a quiet residential street that backs onto the power station site, though it could back onto a huge development of thousands of flats and shops were redevelopment to go ahead: http://g.co/maps/cqadg
Reply 199

The regeneration of the Hamworthy Gate will mean a lot of demolition and construction work in order to build the foundations for new businesses and for commercial use. During the demolition and construction it is likely to heavily congest the area, in particular Blandford Road (B3068) and surrounding areas in Lower Hamworthy. The plan is to introduce commercial buildings and a limit has been set to 6 storeys high, however this could create an unpleasant site for the residents. The idea is to create an ‘urban village’. The locals may not appreciate their idyllic harbour being transformed into an industrialised, economic hub.

Additionally, the increased supply of housing (approximately 3,000 homes) may lead to reduced house prices this may not be beneficial to the locals, especially as those who live in owner occupied dwellings is considerably higher then that of the national average (referenced from Figure P6).

Furthermore ‘The town is built around Poole Harbour, which locals claim is the second biggest natural harbour I the world.” the development of Hamworthy Gate and surrounding areas is going to bring disruption to the natural habitats in the area such as the saltmarsh and wetland. The locals may disprove of the interruptions to the ecology that the development will bring.

In addition to these problems, local residents may object to the visual pollution the regeneration will bring, such as light pollution; and not to forget the noise pollution from concrete breaking and pneumatic drills. The regeneration programme is likely to take atleast 20 months and this is likely to displease the locals.

The long-term issues may be that the introduction of new houses and jobs may mean that it puts a strain on the services in Hamworthy. The new residents are going to need doctors services, schools for their children and to use the shops. This is likely to disrupt the day-to-day services of the residents, and could actually cause friction between the original and new residents.

The new businesses, which will be situated on the 4,000 square metres of the Hamworthy Gate site, are likely to increase the traffic to and from the site, i.e. with haulage and lorries delivery goods and transporting goods. This is again, likely to cause friction with residents, especially those situated closely to the Hamworthy Gate site such as on the already busy, single carriageway, Blandford Road (B3068).

A major Poole marine firm was forced to relocate because of the new Twin Sails Bridge. ‘Jenkins Marine’ has had to move from its base at the former power station site on the Back Water Channel. This is due to the fact that Poole Harbour Commissioners ruled that for safety reasons vessels would no longer be able to dock in the basin between the two bridges as the space would be needed for boats on their way in and out. The marine company has had to invest more than £400,000 into its new HQ on the edge of Poole Harbour. This is likely to displease the residents, and the owners of firms just like ‘Jenkins Marine’. This is a reason why locals may object to the regeneration scheme.

Nicely job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending