The Student Room Group

PhD The Early Process, Application and Interview advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheRandomer
Urgh! I have an interview at Edinburgh on the 14th... yes, valentines day.. and a TUESDAY wtffff. That means missing lectures you mean horrible people!

Hey that nice. I am currently doing Master's here. :smile: . Best of Luck. I have a positive feeling about this because unlike your previous experience this time you will be able to meet a potential supervisor for a single project. Hopefully..
Original post by olympus123456
Hey that nice. I am currently doing Master's here. :smile: . Best of Luck. I have a positive feeling about this because unlike your previous experience this time you will be able to meet a potential supervisor for a single project. Hopefully..

Thanks :smile: I've never actually been to visit the university, I just know it's got a fantastic reputation and does great research in astrophysics! I've been to the city in general though (day trip) and loved it. I only hope the Royal Observatory isn't *too* far out of town.
How did your interview go today? Well I hope!!!
Thanks :smile: I've never actually been to visit the university, I just know it's got a fantastic reputation and does great research in astrophysics! I've been to the city in general though (day trip) and loved it. I only hope the Royal Observatory isn't *too* far out of town.
How did your interview go today? Well I hope!!!

If your interview is at the King's building campus then the Royal Observatory is very near by. My interview went good. I got to meet one supervisor and we both shared same research interests. Half an hour seemed like five minutes. Oh well, I got another one next week thursday, which means I will miss couple of lectures. :frown:
Reply 103
Anyone receiving an interview with LSE any time?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 104
Hi,

One uni has already rejected my PhD application without an explanation. I thought that they at least tell me the reason, for instance, maybe there are no suitable supervisors or smth else.
Whereas, they just told me:

"After careful consideration of your application, I regret that we are unable to offer you a place of study. I am sorry to have to disappoint you in this way..."

So, why they don't want to elaborate?
Original post by Exulted
Hi,

One uni has already rejected my PhD application without an explanation. I thought that they at least tell me the reason, for instance, maybe there are no suitable supervisors or smth else.
Whereas, they just told me:

"After careful consideration of your application, I regret that we are unable to offer you a place of study. I am sorry to have to disappoint you in this way..."

So, why they don't want to elaborate?

I would imagine that they got a lot of applications, and don't have time to give everyone an individual reason. You could always contact them and ask.
Reply 106
Original post by Rainfaery
I would imagine that they got a lot of applications, and don't have time to give everyone an individual reason. You could always contact them and ask.

Yes, I know about that. But, I still think that there are not so many PhD applications as Masters. So, they should have at least explain instead of just writing a generic letter.

I tbh right now don't have any motivation and mood to contact them and ask about the reason. :s-smilie:

And I started to doubt about my research topic and the decision of the second uni. I'm still waiting for the decision of the second uni. Fingers crossed.

I have submitted the third application, but there I need to get 1 more letter of recommendation before they formally start consideration. The professor (my tutor during masters degree) whom I indicated as my referee just hasn't written anything. Even though initially he agreed to write me the references, but then he just stopped to answer my emails.
So, I have to ask another lecturer. He has already written me 2 references.
And now I need to contact him again. I feel that I'm really bothering him :s-smilie:
Still playing the waiting game.... Hurry up!
Reply 108
I feel like I am a stupid loser! here everybody applied to top Unis while I applied to Kent, UEA, Leiceter, Keele and Edinburgh.
Original post by I do
I feel like I am a stupid loser! here everybody applied to top Unis while I applied to Kent, UEA, Leiceter, Keele and Edinburgh.

Those are good universities you applied to. Edinburgh is a top university (imo). Remember, its three years of your time, so no matter which university you apply to, make sure the research group is well established, very active in publications and supervisor is supportive.
Just waiting on ESRC funding stuff now from Lancaster, had my acceptance (without interview either, odd) ages ago, the final submission is Friday but they need to get some comments over to me so I can have another look at it...wish they'd hurry up, I'm running out of time.
Original post by sevendaughters
Just waiting on ESRC funding stuff now from Lancaster, had my acceptance (without interview either, odd) ages ago, the final submission is Friday but they need to get some comments over to me so I can have another look at it...wish they'd hurry up, I'm running out of time.

Best of luck to you! I'm a second-year PhD student at Lancaster and I'm loving it.
Original post by amandabanana
Best of luck to you! I'm a second-year PhD student at Lancaster and I'm loving it.

Thanks very much. Won't hear for a little while yet. Which department are you in?
I think I'm actually going to flip out if I don't hear from Edinburgh soon :frown: It's been aaaaages - let me knowwww already!
I think I'm actually going to flip out if I don't hear from Edinburgh soon :frown: It's been aaaaages - let me knowwww already!

Did you contact the graduate admissions office ? I did and I got prompt response
Original post by olympus123456
Did you contact the graduate admissions office ? I did and I got prompt response

I don't want to ask in case it's a no :tongue: I have a feeling I'm either rejected or on the reserves list, since it's so close to the STFC deadline now and they did the last interviews aaages ago.
I hope yours was good news? :smile:
Oh and my EUCLID thingy still says awaiting decision..
I don't want to ask in case it's a no :tongue: I have a feeling I'm either rejected or on the reserves list, since it's so close to the STFC deadline now and they did the last interviews aaages ago.
I hope yours was good news? :smile:
Oh and my EUCLID thingy still says awaiting decision..

:smile: Yes it was.
Reply 117
I wonder about a PhD course itself.

Will 3 years of a PhD course lead to just one or more papers?

For instance, is it possible to publish several journal articles and gain a PhD degree?

Or, students should write a one piece of work which will consist of approx. 100,000 words?
Original post by Exulted
I wonder about a PhD course itself.

Will 3 years of a PhD course lead to just one or more papers?

For instance, is it possible to publish several journal articles and gain a PhD degree?

Or, students should write a one piece of work which will consist of approx. 100,000 words?

Depending on your field - science theses tend to be more like 50k, because they spend longer gathering data - you're usually expected to do both. You write the long thesis and publish short bits of it, re-written, as articles.
Reply 119
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Depending on your field - science theses tend to be more like 50k, because they spend longer gathering data - you're usually expected to do both. You write the long thesis and publish short bits of it, re-written, as articles.

Thanks. I'm talking about Business & Management sphere.

Also, I've got an unrelated question regarding the application.
My referee sent his references to the central email address which goes directly to the Admissions centre of the University. So, Research Officer told me that due to the high volume of documents received in admissions, it can take a number of weeks for my documents to be forwarded to the Management School.
So, is it relevant to wait for them when they sort all the emails out or is it better to remind the Research Officer about my documents.

Quick Reply

Latest