The Student Room Group

need a little advice career/training choice

I am 20 years old, and considering my options. I want to go into IT, but not sure the path to go down. I currently have a GCSE C grade, an as level, and a functional skills level 2 in ict.

I have just completed a carpentry course, and then decided I wanted to go into IT. I have been thinking alot about doing the Comptia A+, and then heading down that route, but I am thinking if this is the best decision. I have also applied for doing voluntary work in IT support.

Basically what I am asking is should I consider a college course/ open uni course, or anything else like that. Thoughts please.
i would suggest you complete a university course as i have known people to have to make up a lot of ground work in the future simply because they did not complete a degree. I would also think very carefully about which area interests you the most, for example, software developers are very sought after today and hence it maybe a specific degree you wish to undertake. Chris
Reply 2
Original post by inspire-chris.
i would suggest you complete a university course as i have known people to have to make up a lot of ground work in the future simply because they did not complete a degree. I would also think very carefully about which area interests you the most, for example, software developers are very sought after today and hence it maybe a specific degree you wish to undertake. Chris

Cheers for the reply, and the area I want to go into is techinician/networking. I dont think I have enough ucas points to get into a uni, there is open university, but thats not till next september.
Reply 3
Tech support jobs generally have lower entry requirements than software development. It's not necessary for you to have a university degree for the entry level jobs. It would help if you had a good proficiency with Windows and Unix/Linux to start off with.

Quick Reply