The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AndrewWong92
Well have you got your three As already?

If you have a second gap year isnt that risky. Keele only accept resits if they already have the grades. I had an interview from them too but havent heard back and peninsula do (they gave me the offer).

But if you take another course...consider will you put your 100% into a degree you dont want to be in? if you dont get at least a 2:1 then you wont be able to get into medicine graduate entry. There are certain unis which allow you to transfer and there was a guy in plymouth on my interview day who had an interview but was a first year biomed student so you could still apply during the course?

Your choice is personal, depends on how much you want it or if you think you can get it? In 2 years, i had 7 rejections without interview and 1 with (liverpool) so taking a second gap year was risky but i thought i could do it.

congrats for your medicine offer!!!

what are your gcse grades like if you dont mind me asking and what grade did you get in your AS-level which u dropped???
Original post by undertaker1
congrats for your medicine offer!!!

what are your gcse grades like if you dont mind me asking and what grade did you get in your AS-level which u dropped???

3A* and 8 As at GCSE. The A* was in ICT, music and chemistry.

And i got a B in AS level maths which i dropped :smile: if you go on page 53 i got my life story on there lol :P
Reply 1082
Original post by myyrh
Where did you apply? and have you got AAA at A level?

Hey, I was wondering at your lancaster interview did they mention anything about your resit like the reason for your resit e.t.c or did you mention it at all?
Reply 1083
Original post by aj2010
Hey, I was wondering at your lancaster interview did they mention anything about your resit like the reason for your resit e.t.c or did you mention it at all?

Nope didn't ask. I don't think the interviewers have access to your personal statement all they know about you is your name as far as I know. If the conversation at one of the stations could steer to that subject, don't treat it as a taboo and try and show how your determination for medicine has overridden the hardships you have encountered :smile: . Is Lancaster your first choice ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1084
Original post by myyrh
Nope didn't ask. I don't think the interviewers have access to your personal statement all they know about you is your name as far as I know. If the conversation at one of the stations could steer to that subject, don't treat it as a taboo and try and show how your determination for medicine has overridden the hardships you have encountered :smile: . Is Lancaster your first choice ?

Thankyou. :smile:. I don't know yet, kind of worried about the chem grade :/. But I'd love to go to any of the med schools!. :biggrin:
Reply 1085
Okay maybe my story could provide someone with some inspiration:

I missed my offer to study medicine back for 2010 entry by 3 ums ending up with ABB (my offer was AAB). Felt like the world was going to end. Still remember everything clearly, I just didnt know where I was headed in life.

I decided to resit and reapply, got a UKCAT of 637.5 and my gcse's are extremely mediocre for a med applicant, 3A* 4A 2B. So nothing special, BY FAR. But anyway, I ended up with 4 rejections without interview. It was a hard time 'cause my Grandmother was in hospital connected up to a ventilator and she couldn't pull through in the end. It was a pretty grim few months.

Come results day, I forgot to mention I took up an extra as level in religious studies and surprisingly got AAAa which I thought I cocked up because my mind just wasnt focused. I did the ukcat again and got 705 having practiced A LOT more this time around. I started a biomedicine course 'cause I just couldnt stay at home for another year and reapplied to Liverpool, Peninsula, BSMS and Keele. I know liverpool and Keele dont consider people already on a degree but it was a risk I was willing to take (im not saying I recommend ANYONE to do that).

But yeah, at the minute Ive got rejections from Keele (ps I guess?) and Liverpool (def gcse's) but an unconditional to study medicine at Peninsula. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it.

I knew deep down I wanted to be a doctor for all the right reasons, and 3 ums wasnt going to stop me. Hard work and belief can take a person a long way but obviousily each to their own and everyone has to look at their own situation. Just thought I'd share that with everyone who might be going through a tough time. Its okay to be scared and having panic attacks, I knew I had them frequently these past two years haha. But this time around I appreciate the opportunity to study medicine SO MUCH more and I know I'll be a better doctor this time around.

Best of luck everyone!

Hopes.
Original post by hopes
-

I guess you had to go to the interviews etc?

Also Liverpool, was it just a straight out rejection or did they actually say it's because of your grades. BTW just wondering, how did you prepare for the UKCAT?

I always revise a fair bit like 1 month for it, but i went from 500 first time I did it. To 600 after a months revision. What books and what did you use and :love: your dedication! :biggrin:
Reply 1087
Original post by undertaker1
hey have you received any interviews this year.

you have similar stats to myself--- do you mind me asking what you got in your ukcat and where else you have applied?

only saw your reply - only one interview from liverpool, rejections from keele, queens and manchester so all hopes pinned on liverpool sorta thing atm! UKCAT was about 680 i think!
Original post by hopes
-

Hey, congrats on your offer!:biggrin:
Did you sit the UKCAT in the summer holidays prior to starting the biomed course? Are you still planning the spend the rest of the year on the course before going to medical school?
Sorry for all the questions:tongue:

It's just that last year I got 4 rejections without interview, as well as a low UKCAT (572.5); though I was determined to reapply. After getting AABa on results day, I thought that any chance of success through reapplying would be fruitless since many universities had changed their entry requirements and admission procedures. My GCSE's (4A*,4A,3B) also really let me down anyway; Liverpool and Leeds rated them low. So I decided to apply for pharmacy instead. I'd be than happy to continue with the course for 4 years (+1year pre-reg) , but medicine was always the plan from the start.

I'm just trying to think of all options atm and your post really got me thinking that something may be possible:smile:
Reply 1089
Original post by Doctor.
I guess you had to go to the interviews etc?

Also Liverpool, was it just a straight out rejection or did they actually say it's because of your grades. BTW just wondering, how did you prepare for the UKCAT?

I always revise a fair bit like 1 month for it, but i went from 500 first time I did it. To 600 after a months revision. What books and what did you use and :love: your dedication! :biggrin:

Yeah I still had to attend interview, my peninsula interview was on the 14th of December and the offer came through about 5 weeks later.

Liverpool rejected me on the basis that my GCSE score was not deemed competitive compared to the other applicants so yeah, it was grades I guess.

For the ukcat tbh I just used the 600q book and all the practice tests online on the UKCAT website. I also purchased two online resources (cant remember what they were called :/) Did about 3 weeks solid revision ranging from like 2-5 hours a day. So yeah, thats about it really.

Original post by Jin3011
Hey, congrats on your offer!:biggrin:
Did you sit the UKCAT in the summer holidays prior to starting the biomed course? Are you still planning the spend the rest of the year on the course before going to medical school?
Sorry for all the questions:tongue:

It's just that last year I got 4 rejections without interview, as well as a low UKCAT (572.5); though I was determined to reapply. After getting AABa on results day, I thought that any chance of success through reapplying would be fruitless since many universities had changed their entry requirements and admission procedures. My GCSE's (4A*,4A,3B) also really let me down anyway; Liverpool and Leeds rated them low. So I decided to apply for pharmacy instead. I'd be than happy to continue with the course for 4 years (+1year pre-reg) , but medicine was always the plan from the start.

I'm just trying to think of all options atm and your post really got me thinking that something may be possible:smile:

I sat the ukcat at the end of September, wanted as much time as possible to practice so it was after I initially started the course. And no I dropped out of the course the next day after getting the offer haha. Didnt have any motivation to do it what so ever so decided its best if I just leave.

Tbh if you still want to reapply as an undergrad your going to have to resit your exams in this June period and get the grades to comply with the resit policy of completing A levels within 3 years. I strongly believe you should utilize every opportunity as an undergrad to try and get in due to insane Grad entry competition as well funding difficulties. But thats just my opinion

You also have to realise a pharmacy degree is pretty long including the pre reg year. Thats 5 years before you start a med degree. You have to take into account of many factors such as debt, time, social circumstances etc. Its not about questioning your motivation or commitment, its being realistic as well.

I had an offer to study pharmacy last year but I didnt take it up because I knew if I qualified as a pharmacist, it was very unlikely that I would pursue medicine due to wanting to just start working and making money. It would be a stable career. Whereas biomed; the career prospects are uncertain. I knew I would try and try again until I got into medicine with a biomed degree 'cause I could never work in a lab!

Again this is just my opinion on how I see things, everyone is different and everyone has differing outlooks.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
Original post by hopes
I sat the ukcat at the end of September, wanted as much time as possible to practice so it was after I initially started the course. And no I dropped out of the course the next day after getting the offer haha. Didnt have any motivation to do it what so ever so decided its best if I just leave.

Tbh if you still want to reapply as an undergrad your going to have to resit your exams in this June period and get the grades to comply with the resit policy of completing A levels within 3 years. I strongly believe you should utilize every opportunity as an undergrad to try and get in due to insane Grad entry competition as well funding difficulties. But thats just my opinion

You also have to realise a pharmacy degree is pretty long including the pre reg year. Thats 5 years before you start a med degree. You have to take into account of many factors such as debt, time, social circumstances etc. Its not about questioning your motivation or commitment, its being realistic as well.

I had an offer to study pharmacy last year but I didnt take it up because I knew if I qualified as a pharmacist, it was very unlikely that I would pursue medicine due to wanting to just start working and making money. It would be a stable career. Whereas biomed; the career prospects are uncertain. I knew I would try and try again until I got into medicine with a biomed degree 'cause I could never work in a lab!

Again this is just my opinion on how I see things, everyone is different and everyone has differing outlooks.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Did you need to include anywhere in your statement the need to resit over 3 years?
I've taken an exam in January to get that B upto an A. First time round I forgot I had a clash exam which meant that it got put down as 'no result':frown: All my fault tbh. All I needed was an D/E in that exam.
But I guess you're right; 5 years down the line, my motivation may have changed.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question:smile:
Original post by AndrewWong92
Hey everyone, been around here for a while and decided to tell everyone my story!

Grades:
3A* and 7 As at GCSE
ABBB at AS level first time round
AAAB at AS level after resits.
BBB at A-level first time round
AAA at A level after resits.

First time I applied:

I was predicted AAA. Didnt have a ton of work experience or volunteer work.
UKCAT:640
Applied to Leicester, Southampton, Cardiff and Durham.
I recieved 4 rejections without interview. Had offer for pharmacy.

Well this was horrible, no offer and no interviews. Very dishearting because i thought my grades were good enough. It wasnt nice with people telling me to give up on medicine as well as 4 rejections without interviews is obviously not a good thing but i persisted. I didnt want to give in after one hurdle and i thought that if i got the grades then i can repply.

Second time i applied:

Came out with BBB at A level in biology, chemistry and psychology. I had basically given up when results came out but before i was to start pharmacy i decided i couldnt just give in so easily so i took a gap year and reapplied. because i was so focused on the grades i didnt organise any work experience and so my personal statement was still lacking but i tried applying anyways.

Grades:BBB
UKCAT:672.5
Applied to Liverpool, keele, east anglia and lancester.

I had one interview at Liverpool and got rejected post interview. I was also rejected from the other universities without interviews. At this point i was obviously very upset and it seemed like medicine just wasnt for me. I was in college when i resat my exams. I got AAB at janurary and after my summer resits i came out with AAA so going from BBB to AAA is possible! You just need to work hard and maybe change the way you revise and be brutally honest with how much you revise and the amount of work you put in. Is it enough? I had done a lot more work experience and especially volunteer work now.

Third time:

Grades:AAA
UKCAT:677.5
Applied to Peninsula, Liverpool, Keele and Brighton & Sussex.

After doing some research i thought these were the best for me as Keele for example wanted resitters to apply only if they have the grades which i did manage. My PS had 4 weeks of work experience and around 2 years of volunteer work at different organisations at this point.

I have just recieved an unconditional from Peninsula.
Had an interview at Keele but havent heard back yet.
And waiting on Liverpool and Brighton, i had an interview invitation at liverpool last year around february so there is still time for another if i'm lucky!

But yes, i will be going to med school now and has made my second gap year so worth the effort and risk. Just hope this little story brings hope to those who may become disheartened at this crucial time but to also say its never to late to go and if you believe in yourself and know 100% that you want to become a doctor, there is no reason why you shouldnt.

From being told i had barely any chance with BBB at A level first time round from parents, friends and teachers. I knew i could do it and i did.

Hope this helps all those doing resits or arent too sure whether or not to reapply again because they think there chances are nil!

Advice: Apply tactically to the universities! Make sure it isn't a wasted option. Med school is med school.

Good luck everyone else :smile:

-UPDATE! Unconditional from Keele too :smile:
Reply 1092
Got a rejection from liverpool last week...
Original post by aj2010
Got a rejection from liverpool last week...

:frown: Sames
Hey folks!

Just wanted to ask a really stupid question but did any of you get a certificate for the A level you're retaking? I got a certifcate with my B grade in Chemistry but I told my school to un-cash the grade because I wanted to retake one module in Jan, and cash it in then.

I suppose my question is that if the grade was "un-cashed" why did I get a certificate for it?

A really late question (not to mention dumb) but it just occured to me now LOL
Reply 1095
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Hey folks!

Just wanted to ask a really stupid question but did any of you get a certificate for the A level you're retaking? I got a certifcate with my B grade in Chemistry but I told my school to un-cash the grade because I wanted to retake one module in Jan, and cash it in then.

I suppose my question is that if the grade was "un-cashed" why did I get a certificate for it?

A really late question (not to mention dumb) but it just occured to me now LOL

I got a certificate for my B in Biology even though I'm resitting it too. I think we have to get a certificate even if we are retaking. The same principle about declaring all achieved grades on UCAS. Provided we improve our grades to As, we will get another certificate this year with an A on it :smile:
Original post by myyrh
I got a certificate for my B in Biology even though I'm resitting it too. I think we have to get a certificate even if we are retaking. The same principle about declaring all achieved grades on UCAS. Provided we improve our grades to As, we will get another certificate this year with an A on it :smile:

Ah thank you :smile:
Thought as much, just wasn't sure :redface:
Reply 1097
Guys I got an offer from Peninsula!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by myyrh
Guys I got an offer from Peninsula!!!! :biggrin:

well done :smile:
Reply 1099
Original post by areyousure?
well done :smile:

Thank you :biggrin: Hopefully you get both of yours :cool: :smile: How was your Liverpool interview?

Latest