The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

First ever interview tomorrow! (For speechly VS) I am SO nervous...any last minute tips/advice?
Anyone heard from Ince & Co? They emailed me two months ago to say they were contacting my academic referee and since then I've had no word at all. Is it standard or them to send out the email about references
Original post by odietamo
Has anyone heard anything from Macfarlanes, Farrer's or Charles Russell?

I think a few people have had open days there. I had mine a few weeks ago and unfortunately didn't get the VS, but I think a few others have had offers. When did you apply?

ETA: I'm also waiting on your other two!
Original post by Purple Hazer Blazer

Original post by Purple Hazer Blazer
Anyone heard from Ince & Co? They emailed me two months ago to say they were contacting my academic referee and since then I've had no word at all. Is it standard or them to send out the email about references

I emailed them to update my application with a new job I got. They said they were in the middle of reviewing my application right now. I imagine we will hear back by Friday...
Reply 2004
Original post by odietamo
Me too :smile:

I've asked around and apparently it's quite informal - more along the lines of a 'getting to know you' type chat...

Has anyone heard anything from Macfarlanes, Farrer's or Charles Russell?

Just wondered how long it took for them to reply after taking the online tests? I took mine on Sunday and haven't heard anything yet.
Anyone heard from:

- Bristows
-Bird and Bird
-Squire Sanders Hammonds
- Lewis Silkin

?
WTF my mark on inductive reasoning was not good enough for Field Fisher Waterhouse....but got my an an AC for herbet smith? Because that makes sense....
anyone else still waiting for a reply regarding their initial application from Slaughters? Undecided whether this is good or not...
Reply 2008
Original post by SummerEyes
Anyone heard from:

-Bird and Bird

?

Nothing since the initial confirmation of receipt email.

When did you apply? I didn't get my application in until late (26th) so am not expecting anything for a while yet.

WTF my mark on inductive reasoning was not good enough for Field Fisher Waterhouse....but got my an an AC for herbet smith? Because that makes sense....

I had same issue. My verbal reasoning was not good enuf for ever****es, but Okay for Wragge & Co and CMS Cameron McKenna. Does not make sense.
Original post by linguistlawyer
I had same issue. My verbal reasoning was not good enuf for ever****es, but Okay for Wragge & Co and CMS Cameron McKenna. Does not make sense.

I'm fuming. I've rang graduate recruitment and left a voicemail asking if i can resit the test, saying there is more to a trainee than a logic test and if they looked at my application form they would see I'm more than suited to the firm....

Guess I'll wait to hear back to them saying no.
Does anybody know how long Slaughter and May generally take to get back to you after a VS interview?
Hi guys!
Any advice for the Herbert Smith assessment day?

Thanks so much!
Reply 2013
I'm fuming. I've rang graduate recruitment and left a voicemail asking if i can resit the test, saying there is more to a trainee than a logic test and if they looked at my application form they would see I'm more than suited to the firm....

Guess I'll wait to hear back to them saying no.

Brave move.

Although worse case scenario is that they say "no" and you're no worse off. So worth a try, I suppose.

Incidentally, I agree with you entirely; the sort of tests where they set an absolute 'pass mark' are a very short-sighted way of recruiting.
Reply 2014
Anyone applied for Mills & Reeve, Cobbetts, Hill Dickinson or Walker Morris?
Original post by glittergulch
Does anybody know how long Slaughter and May generally take to get back to you after a VS interview?

They told me about two weeks. I've now been waiting just over a week so hopefully will hear soon!
Original post by tomlees
Anyone applied for Mills & Reeve, Cobbetts, Hill Dickinson or Walker Morris?

I applied to Mills & Reeve quite a while ago, still yet to hear anything!
Anyone know what to expect in DLA Piper London One day business game?
What are the challenges that law firms are facing at the moment?
Reply 2019
Original post by Factortame_7
What are the challenges that law firms are facing at the moment?

1. Recession (obvious)
2. Legal Services Act (could also be spun to be an opportunity)

Though you might want to flesh your answer out a bit...

Quick Reply

Latest