The Student Room Group

Flexibility in changing major

Is it flexible for students to change their major in the United States of America after they have declared their major?

I'm an international student by the way. I would have to state what i'm gonna major in, in my application. So I would like to know if I am able to change my major once I'm in the US
Reply 1
Original post by mrsmile10
Is it flexible for students to change their major in the United States of America after they have declared their major?

I'm an international student by the way. I would have to state what i'm gonna major in, in my application. So I would like to know if I am able to change my major once I'm in the US

It depends on the college and which major you change it to. It's easier to switch from engineering to English than English to engineering. Sometimes specialized schools within the university (e.g. music conservatories, business schools) will require a special application process.

Generally speaking, it's not very difficult. In any case, the major you put down on your application is usually not binding; most students don't formally declare a major until the end of their first year or sometime during their second.

Nationwide, 30-40% of students enter college undecided about their majors, and more than half of all students change their majors at least once.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
generally yes, but - as ^ - depends on the school and the requirements of the programme.
Reply 3
I agree that it depends on the school.

Most liberal arts colleges have a core curriculum for the first one or two years of higher-level education which make it easy to explore and study other fields/subjects and change majors as long as you are able to fulfill the requirements to achieve that major.

EDIT: However, I am unsure if same applies to international students. I would think it does...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending