The Student Room Group

Choosing A-Levels

Im currently in 5th year doing my gcses, and we have to choose our A-Levels very soon i have a fair idea of what i want to do, but im afraid that il struggle

Im thinking about doing Maths, currently im sitting on 2, A*'s but apparently a-level maths is extremely hard, i want to do business studies aswell im currently on an A but apparently the a-level teacher isnt very good, and i also want to do ICT but im not doing it for gcse atm so i will be at a disadvantage, i was also thinking about Re, which im on an A* aswell but i was thinking of dropping that after AS level,

all the courses i want to do require mostly AAB or ABB, so i really want to do well, what do you think,

i was also thinking about doing travel and tourism but its a BTEC its only equivalent to an A-level

please help
Reply 1
Original post by onedirection
Im currently in 5th year doing my gcses, and we have to choose our A-Levels very soon i have a fair idea of what i want to do, but im afraid that il struggle

Im thinking about doing Maths, currently im sitting on 2, A*'s but apparently a-level maths is extremely hard, i want to do business studies aswell im currently on an A but apparently the a-level teacher isnt very good, and i also want to do ICT but im not doing it for gcse atm so i will be at a disadvantage, i was also thinking about Re, which im on an A* aswell but i was thinking of dropping that after AS level,

all the courses i want to do require mostly AAB or ABB, so i really want to do well, what do you think,

i was also thinking about doing travel and tourism but its a BTEC its only equivalent to an A-level

please help

Im doing GCSEs aswell and have to choose my a levels very soon, as far as your choices, what do you want to do at uni? and also if you want to go to a well respected or russell group uni then i wouldnt take business studies and ICT because they are seen as 'soft' subjects. This is probably only a problem if you want to go to a russell group uni. I did ICT for GCSE and found it quite boring, but if you think that you will do well and enjoy it then go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by onedirection

please help

Hiya! What kind of predicted grades do you have for your GCSEs?
A-Level maths gets a bit tricky at first, but it gets easier once you practice a lot! I think maths is all about practice and dedication, so it would be a good choice for A-Level if you enjoy it.

Don't worry if you haven't taken a subject before. If you are really interested in it and the course, and think that you can do well in it then talk to the head of ICT and ask them about it?

If you want to take Business Studies, then go for it! It's a fine subject. If you find that the teacher isn't very good, then why not put in the extra effort and study in your spare time?
Reply 3
Thanks and yeah my predicted grades would be - A*,A*, A, A, A, B, B, B B, but i really dont know i wanna do something im gonna be good at
A-level maths is hard, but relatively straightforward (its either right or wrong)

At least it doesn't have any coursework! :smile:
I'm in AS, doing Bio, Chem, Phys & History, and I was sat in an ICT AS class today, and, MY GOD, THEY ARE ALL SO STUPID! Seriously though, universities see ICT, and to some extent business studies, as 'soft' a levels, which isn't a good thing. Do Chemistry, it's awesome.
Reply 6
i could never do chemistry cant even do it for gcse lol , and i dont wanna be under stress im good at business studies and maths atm im afriad il struggle next year and i cant afford too because i need 2 A's and B no matter what university i go to all the courses i want to do requires them at least :frown:
Reply 7
What are those courses you want to do?
Reply 8
Original post by llys
What are those courses you want to do?

Accountancy, or finance or something around that or perhaphs business managment
Reply 9
Then IMO, considering the A-Level subjects you already mentioned, it would be good to take

+ Maths (definitely!)
+ Economics OR Business
+ one of Further Maths/History/Politics/a foreign language/Physics/Geography/English
+ AS RS (if you still want this, or any other subject)
(edited 11 years ago)
I would reiterate what ilys jsut said really,

Maths
Business or Economics (Econ isn't seen as 'soft' like Business is but if your heart is in Business then I say go for it)
RS (if thats still what you want to do)
and then one more 'strong' traditional subject, ie a science (which you don't sound too keen on so maybe not :tongue:) a language, history, english lit, politics, or geography etc.

That would be what I would do in your situation :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by thatgirlbecky
I would reiterate what ilys jsut said really,

Maths
Business or Economics (Econ isn't seen as 'soft' like Business is but if your heart is in Business then I say go for it)
RS (if thats still what you want to do)
and then one more 'strong' traditional subject, ie a science (which you don't sound too keen on so maybe not :tongue:) a language, history, english lit, politics, or geography etc.

That would be what I would do in your situation :smile:

Totally agree! :smile: and I wouldnt bother with the travel BTEC, they're no where near as respected as A levels x

Quick Reply

Latest