The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Graduate Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by Tali_91

Good luck with RVC :smile:

Looks like I'm firming Cambridge for definite after all XD RVC rejection today... I have to say, it makes my decisions a hell of a lot easier! Now I'm really excited because it seems real, and I know where I'm going :biggrin: haha.

I think Lucy Cavendish have spaces for 6 vets, but not all of them will be grads, some of them will be mature first-degree students. It'll be interesting to meet everyone!
Reply 341
Original post by kookabura
Errmmm.

Firstly, try not to worry...because you won't hear a thing until after the 21st March! So at least you don't have to worry every time to get post/check your emails!!

Secondly, you had an interview cos you already meet the criteria they want - they don't interview a ridiculous number of people for the number of places. So you have a better chance of offer after interview than some of the uni's that interviews loads of people. Yes, there will still be some people who don't get offers after interview, but if you had an interview and weren't a complete idiot you are in with a good chance.

Also, whilst the wait does seem long....look at it as a good thing, that it means everyone has the same chance of offer's. I was always really sceptical with places that start giving offers out after one interview date...how can the people interviewed on the last day have the same chance? At least it is def fair and you have an equal chance to everyone else, regardless of the date you were interviewed or how good other people were on the day you were interviewed.

Try not to think about it (hard I know!) until after the 21st March...as worrying isn't going to help :-)

Indeed you are right, I will try not to think about it; have a couple of months break and hopefully find a job to keep me occupied:biggrin:. I agree totally, I really like the fact RVC wait until after the interviews before making decisions :smile: Thank you very much for the reply! It's nice to speak with people who have been through it already and can empathise!
Reply 342
Original post by Erin01
Looks like I'm firming Cambridge for definite after all XD RVC rejection today... I have to say, it makes my decisions a hell of a lot easier! Now I'm really excited because it seems real, and I know where I'm going :biggrin: haha.

I think Lucy Cavendish have spaces for 6 vets, but not all of them will be grads, some of them will be mature first-degree students. It'll be interesting to meet everyone!

I'm sorry to hear about RVC :frown: But massive congratulations on firming Cambridge! Now you can really start to plan and get excited!:biggrin:
Reply 343
Original post by Eevee13
I'm sorry to hear about RVC :frown: But massive congratulations on firming Cambridge! Now you can really start to plan and get excited!:biggrin:

Thanks! To be honest, when I got the rejection I wasn't upset (I thought I would be in floods!)... so Maybe I had subconsciously made my mind up to go to Cambridge anyway? It's so nice to have something to focus on now, and get me through the last few months of uni bleurgh. Plus at Cambs I'll be so close to home, I can go and raid the fridge at the weekends :wink:

I hope all of your applications are going ok!
Reply 344
Original post by sophie_aj
Ok graduates. Let's just forget about money for a moment. Can people help me with pros and cons of Liverpool vs. Edinburgh. Vet reputation etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated :smile:

I wish I could help you with Liverpool, Sophie! But it seems to me that Edinburgh has a lot of pros! At least when I compare it to one of the US universities I visited. Of course the high tuition is an issue, but other than that the facilities are so awesome.. They have everything a vet student could ask for. What I don't know is whether they have a lot of medical cases so students can gain clinical/surgery experience. This is something that I have to strongly consider.

Good luck on your upcoming interviews:colondollar:
Reply 345
Original post by Haido
I wish I could help you with Liverpool, Sophie! But it seems to me that Edinburgh has a lot of pros! At least when I compare it to one of the US universities I visited. Of course the high tuition is an issue, but other than that the facilities are so awesome.. They have everything a vet student could ask for. What I don't know is whether they have a lot of medical cases so students can gain clinical/surgery experience. This is something that I have to strongly consider.

Good luck on your upcoming interviews:colondollar:

Hi, Well I have decided that I need to go to Liverpool to make a proper decision. I really really like Edinburgh though! It certainly seemed the case when we visited re. medical cases. Let me know if you find out any more information?
Hi, Well I have decided that I need to go to Liverpool to make a proper decision. I really really like Edinburgh though! It certainly seemed the case when we visited re. medical cases. Let me know if you find out any more information?

Liverpool is lush! Im here at the mo doing biovet, and we are very integrated into the vet fac. Everyone is friendly, the city is really lovely actually good shopping and nightlife, but not too massive you get lost. The vet fac is going through some changes at the moment though, i believe they're moving buildings and becoming less independent compared to the uni.

Leahurst campus is really lovely (4/5th year, and parties :wink:) doing my 3rd year research project over there at the mo and the facilities and area is all really nice. Very good on equine if that is something that interests you, but they have it all over there, small animal teaching hospital, large, farm, equine clinic etc.

Defo visit though - hard to get a good feel for a place from someones (biased) opinion ha. I will be sad to leave it this year though!
Reply 347
Does any one have any idea how many people Edinburgh are interviewing this year?
Reply 348
Original post by jenni716
Does any one have any idea how many people Edinburgh are interviewing this year?

Edinburgh don't interview their graduates. This is the graduate thread.. :smile:
Hi all, I have debated whether or not to post on here and introduce myself but after re-reading every post multiple times and still being clueless what to do I though why not.

I always wanted to be a vet but for multiple reasons ended up doing marine biology as my initial degree, however then i went down an even stranger path. Since i hated marine biology i thought I would try something completely different and went on to do a graduate diploma in law. Needless to say I am in the stages of finishing this and still feel completely lost and unhappy in what I am doing. I can't imagine a job where I am as miserable as I am on this course and so have finally admitted to myself that despite the mountain of hard work that it involves (and money) the only thing I have ever wanted to do is be a vet (I am now 23 years old).

I got a 2:1 on my science degree, and a distinction on my law course, I am also aiming to complete the Liverpool standard 10 weeks of work experience if I can get it before september applications. My main question is that I have poor A-level results, i have an A in biology, an A in psychology but a D in chemistry...so should I apply for the graduate 4 year course regardless or should I retake the chemistry A level? I know for Nottingham I would have to as they are strict on graduates but what about the others? Also is it possible to apply this coming september with the intention to re-take chemistry and then to receive a conditional offer based on what my A-level result will be? Or will I have to apply the following year after I have received the result?

Any help would be appreciated, I am very stuck and confused and it all feels a bit scary.

Also good luck to those who are waiting to hear back about offers :smile: x
Reply 350
Original post by Jlane5000

I got a 2:1 on my science degree, and a distinction on my law course, I am also aiming to complete the Liverpool standard 10 weeks of work experience if I can get it before september applications. My main question is that I have poor A-level results, i have an A in biology, an A in psychology but a D in chemistry...so should I apply for the graduate 4 year course regardless or should I retake the chemistry A level? I know for Nottingham I would have to as they are strict on graduates but what about the others? Also is it possible to apply this coming september with the intention to re-take chemistry and then to receive a conditional offer based on what my A-level result will be? Or will I have to apply the following year after I have received the result?

I am retaking chemistry A level at the moment (I got a C last time) and I have applied to start vet med this september so that is definitely an option. I think it's probably worth retaking because although I think RVC aren't so strict on A level grades, other applicants will have a better grade and would probably have an advantage.

I'm finding it much easier this time around and I think I can probably get my A grade.

Good luck with everything!
Original post by Loosy
I am retaking chemistry A level at the moment (I got a C last time) and I have applied to start vet med this september so that is definitely an option. I think it's probably worth retaking because although I think RVC aren't so strict on A level grades, other applicants will have a better grade and would probably have an advantage.

I'm finding it much easier this time around and I think I can probably get my A grade.

Thanks for the advice :smile: so do you mean you have already applied, got an offer and its conditional on you getting a good chemistry grade? Or have you applied and are waiting to hear about an offer? I am just very confused as to whether they can give conditional offers to graduates based on how well you will do in the retake, in the similar way they do for 6th form students before they get their final a level grades. Or whether graduates have to actually have their results in hand before applying.

Sorry if that has come out in a jumble, its hard to say what i mean

Also good luck for your chemistry :smile:
Reply 352
Hi all, I have debated whether or not to post on here and introduce myself but after re-reading every post multiple times and still being clueless what to do I though why not.

I always wanted to be a vet but for multiple reasons ended up doing marine biology as my initial degree, however then i went down an even stranger path. Since i hated marine biology i thought I would try something completely different and went on to do a graduate diploma in law. Needless to say I am in the stages of finishing this and still feel completely lost and unhappy in what I am doing. I can't imagine a job where I am as miserable as I am on this course and so have finally admitted to myself that despite the mountain of hard work that it involves (and money) the only thing I have ever wanted to do is be a vet (I am now 23 years old).

Any help would be appreciated, I am very stuck and confused and it all feels a bit scary.

Also good luck to those who are waiting to hear back about offers :smile: x

Hello,
I am a graduate applicant. I graduated in 2009 with a first in animal science. I don't have chemistry a level at all. I also have a C for biology a level which I completed part time in an evening course. I initially did languages for my a levels! I have applied for vet med twice and both times had an offer. First from Bristol which I didn't take as I withdrew from the system. Three years
later I'm back and more certain than ever that this is my path. I have an offer from Edinburgh this time and an interview at Liverpool. The last the years I've been teaching circus. So if you think you're indecisive I'm worse!

Only thing I would say is that for the 4 years course they do care about biochemistry. I was fortunate enough to have done enough in my degree to be offered for the 4yr at Edinburgh. Actually they gave me a choice either 4 or 5! Liverpool don't have a separate application for the 4 year they make individual decisions... I guess in summary your degree level chemistry is more important and yes don't bother with Nottingham. Find out whether your degree content would be acceptable for a 4 year at Liverpool or Edinburgh out RVC

Finally I'm 26 so you've got three years on me! Does this help in anyway? Have confidence in yourself :smile:
Reply 353
Original post by Loosy

are you a graduate applicant?
Reply 354
So I guess what I'm saying is I think degree is more important than a levels and perhaps retake isn't necessary. Clearly not having chemistry didn't decrease my chances!
Hello,
I am a graduate applicant. I graduated in 2009 with a first in animal science. I don't have chemistry a level at all. I also have a C for biology a level which I completed part time in an evening course. I initially did languages for my a levels! I have applied for vet med twice and both times had an offer. First from Bristol which I didn't take as I withdrew from the system. Three years
later I'm back and more certain than ever that this is my path. I have an offer from Edinburgh this time and an interview at Liverpool. The last the years I've been teaching circus. So if you think you're indecisive I'm worse!

Only thing I would say is that for the 4 years course they do care about biochemistry. I was fortunate enough to have done enough in my degree to be offered for the 4yr at Edinburgh. Actually they gave me a choice either 4 or 5! Liverpool don't have a separate application for the 4 year they make individual decisions... I guess in summary your degree level chemistry is more important and yes don't bother with Nottingham. Find out whether your degree content would be acceptable for a 4 year at Liverpool or Edinburgh out RVC

Finally I'm 26 so you've got three years on me! Does this help in anyway? Have confidence in yourself :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile: I think indecisiveness is my worst trait, never send me off to tesco on my own lol. So do you think that if I ring the uni's and the modules in my degree are sufficient to do the 4 year course, then I should not bother doing the re-take of chemistry A-Level? I am a bit worried they will still care when it comes to the selection process. Also if they say my degree is not right for doing a 4 year and to do the 5 year instead, would A-level results be more important then? Sorry for all the questions, my head is swimming.

On another note, where did you apply this time? any others besides Edinburgh and Liverpool? Oh and good luck for your interview :smile:
Reply 356
Thanks for the advice :smile: so do you mean you have already applied, got an offer and its conditional on you getting a good chemistry grade? Or have you applied and are waiting to hear about an offer? I am just very confused as to whether they can give conditional offers to graduates based on how well you will do in the retake, in the similar way they do for 6th form students before they get their final a level grades. Or whether graduates have to actually have their results in hand before applying.

Sorry if that has come out in a jumble, its hard to say what i mean

Also good luck for your chemistry :smile:

I applied this year and I've had an interview at RVC so I'm just waiting to hear back! I think they can give you either a conditional or an unconditional offer. I'm not too sure on how the offers work but what I was really trying to say is that you don't have to have the results already to apply.
Reply 357
Thanks for the advice :smile: I think indecisiveness is my worst trait, never send me off to tesco on my own lol. So do you think that if I ring the uni's and the modules in my degree are sufficient to do the 4 year course, then I should not bother doing the re-take of chemistry A-Level? I am a bit worried they will still care when it comes to the selection process. Also if they say my degree is not right for doing a 4 year and to do the 5 year instead, would A-level results be more important then? Sorry for all the questions, my head is swimming.

On another note, where did you apply this time? any others besides Edinburgh and Liverpool? Oh and good luck for your interview :smile:

I wouldn't retake the a level unless absolutely necessary. A levels are more important when your degree is less relevant eg you have say a geography degree. I know a vet in the 6 year at notts with that background. Find out how your degree is for it's relevancy. Approach the unis and see what they say. I don't think not retaking would affect your chances for 5year. Is your degree is clash as relevant then it should hold more ground than school level work. If not what the heck is the point of uni lol.

This time I applied same as last time. Rvc, Ed, liv and Bristol. I was rejected from RVC as my bmat was dreadful! No word from Bristol. Hoping to go to Ed at the moment as absolutely loved it there :smile:
Reply 358
That should read 'if your degree is classed as relevant!' Silly phone predictive Swype!
I wouldn't retake the a level unless absolutely necessary. A levels are more important when your degree is less relevant eg you have say a geography degree. I know a vet in the 6 year at notts with that background. Find out how your degree is for it's relevancy. Approach the unis and see what they say. I don't think not retaking would affect your chances for 5year. Is your degree is clash as relevant then it should hold more ground than school level work. If not what the heck is the point of uni lol.

This time I applied same as last time. Rvc, Ed, liv and Bristol. I was rejected from RVC as my bmat was dreadful! No word from Bristol. Hoping to go to Ed at the moment as absolutely loved it there :smile:

The person you know in the 6 year at Notts, does he have a similar background to me, or to the geography degree you mentioned? I will give the uni's a phone call i think :smile: thanks

Quick Reply