The Student Room Group

TSR Economics society

Scroll to see replies

Cross elasticity of demand:

Suppose X.e.d of 1.4 between x range. It is selling 45 x range, price of y range falls by 5%, what will the new demand for x be?

How do i do this?

I know the forumula but it seems to be missing something...

If anyone can pm me how to do this (not the answer) would be great
Reply 941
My first post in this thread, so excited :biggrin:

Can anyone suggest good introductory material on public economics, but which takes beyond A-level syllabus?
Original post by Dat Guy
My first post in this thread, so excited :biggrin:

Can anyone suggest good introductory material on public economics, but which takes beyond A-level syllabus?

Have a look at the reading list for undergraduate public economics courses. I didn't do public so I can't recommend any myself, sorry.
My lecture on 'The Destruction of the Science of Monetary Policy'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tozcz80db9M&feature=share

Dr Stephen Davies (IEA) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DWlz-pzRVs
History and Economics of Public Spending

WATCH AND ENJOY :smile:
Original post by WalkerPrince
My lecture on 'The Destruction of the Science of Monetary Policy'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tozcz80db9M&feature=share

Dr Stephen Davies (IEA) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DWlz-pzRVs
History and Economics of Public Spending

WATCH AND ENJOY :smile:

Thanks for posting. :smile: Dr Stephen Davies was very interesting and refreshingly easy to understand for an economist. :yep: Or maybe that's because he's actually a historian. :tongue:
Original post by alex_hk90
Thanks for posting. :smile: Dr Stephen Davies was very interesting and refreshingly easy to understand for an economist. :yep: Or maybe that's because he's actually a historian. :tongue:

I don't think he'd call himself an 'economist' :biggrin: So maybe that's why!

He made a lot of sense !
Reply 946
Hi, was wondering what the best way to revise for case studies in unit 1 AQA was. I mean specifically how best prepared, can I be for my upcoming test in January.:smile:
Reply 947
I have been looking for Economics thread :smile: Finally found it ! Please add me to the society :smile: Can anyone please help me out on Section B Edexcel Economics Unit 1. I seems to be struggling on the 14 marks questions. I can't seem to evaluate enough? Sometimes what I evaluate is not even in the mark scheme?? PLease help me out. How would you structure 14 marks questions? and how would you evaluate?
(edited 12 years ago)
I will be going through the links when my January exams are over, definitely looking forward to expanding my knowledge.
(this post also has the dual purpose of the thread being in my 'watched threads' section :P)
Reply 949
Can anyone answer this simple questions. Can someone define Price Mechanism. 1 mark definition and 2 marks definition of price mechanism. Definition for Buffer Stock Scheme aswell Thank you
(edited 12 years ago)
Intersting little PROBLEM - please help

Had this debate in class today. To do with income inequality.

Would changing the 40% marginal tax rate from being applied to income over £45K to incoem over £43K widen or narrow inequality ?
Ceteris paribus, all gross incoems remaining constant.

I would have thought inequality would definitely decrease because your bringing the net incomes of everyone earning over £43,000 down?
However people would argueing that it would depend on how many people were at either end of the income scale

How would it change the lorenz curve also ?
Original post by Moiraclaire
Intersting little PROBLEM - please help

Had this debate in class today. To do with income inequality.

Would changing the 40% marginal tax rate from being applied to income over £45K to incoem over £43K widen or narrow inequality ?
Ceteris paribus, all gross incoems remaining constant.

I would have thought inequality would definitely decrease because your bringing the net incomes of everyone earning over £43,000 down?
However people would argueing that it would depend on how many people were at either end of the income scale

How would it change the lorenz curve also ?

Well, ceteris paribus, the direct effect would be to decrease the disposable income of those earning above £43,000, and hence decrease income inequality because £43,000 is above the average (both median and mean) income level (i.e. people who had above average income now have less than they did before). It would have no direct effect on those earning below £43,000. However, it is arguable that there are indirect effects via, for instance, changes in consumption - those earning above £43,000 tend to have higher marginal propensity to spend, so they will reduce spending disproportionately, lowering aggregate demand and perhaps even causing a rise in unemployment (which tends to increase income inequality). There may also be other indirect effects like tax avoidance which might need to be considered. In short, I agree with you on the direct effect but things aren't ceteris paribus in reality.
Original post by alex_hk90
Well, ceteris paribus, the direct effect would be to decrease the disposable income of those earning above £43,000, and hence decrease income inequality because £43,000 is above the average (both median and mean) income level (i.e. people who had above average income now have less than they did before). It would have no direct effect on those earning below £43,000. However, it is arguable that there are indirect effects via, for instance, changes in consumption - those earning above £43,000 tend to have higher marginal propensity to spend, so they will reduce spending disproportionately, lowering aggregate demand and perhaps even causing a rise in unemployment (which tends to increase income inequality). There may also be other indirect effects like tax avoidance which might need to be considered. In short, I agree with you on the direct effect but things aren't ceteris paribus in reality.

I swear high earners have a lower marginal propensity to spend - because they can afford to save unlike those on low incomes ? so if there was this tax change. But it would cut AD (ceteris paribus) unless benefits to those poor with higher marginal propensity to consume were simultaneously increased.
Original post by Moiraclaire
I swear high earners have a lower marginal propensity to spend - because they can afford to save unlike those on low incomes ? so if there was this tax change. But it would cut AD (ceteris paribus) unless benefits to those poor with higher marginal propensity to consume were simultaneously increased.

You might be right, it's a long time (something like 5 years) since I last looked at this but for some reason I had the idea that spending on luxury goods was more sensitive to income changes, and this was due to higher earners. Anything beyond the direct effects can usually be argued either way. :smile:
Hi guys, thought you might be able to help me with this one:

How can government policy be used to change Britain's high spending, low saving consumer culture?

Thanks
Original post by andyrichards
Hi guys, thought you might be able to help me with this one:

How can government policy be used to change Britain's high spending, low saving consumer culture?

Thanks

Tax incentives would be an obvious starting point here (both to reduce spending and to increase saving).
I would be really grateful if you could take a look at my economics blog at: http://thinkaboutecon.blogspot.co.uk/
I also encourage you to comment!
For anyone who's shunning revision in need of some useful procrastination :colone:

http://www.sporcle.com/search/?p=1&s=economics

my personal favourite http://www.sporcle.com/games/DeaconEcon/famous_economists (because its short)

At least 46 more days till day freedom day :/
Original post by andyrichards
I would be really grateful if you could take a look at my economics blog at: http://thinkaboutecon.blogspot.co.uk/
I also encourage you to comment!

Concerning the hose pipe ban, I heard a funny anecdote on Russell Howard the other day.

Protip to get around it: Set fire to your shed. Firemen arrive. Shrubbery may get some of the surplus splash-age. Looks like a foolproof plan.

I agree about implementing universal water meters, I always thought they were pretty much everywhere. Maybe I just live in a southern bubble :/ hmm

On your most recent post:

Banks are being forced to ring-fence their retail arms here at least through the recommendations by the Vicker's Report. The only problem is that its coming into force in 2019. In Europe, doing so would make borrowing even more expensive and pose risk to already temperamental growth and employment levels. Dealing with the structural problems of the finance sector can only come later, once their economies have recovered. Pulling the plug on bailouts or subsidies as you mention now is the worser evil.

It's easy to say doing X and Y will solve these problems but we reach an international consensus on financial regulation nothing is going to change.

On a side note, has anyone seen this
Original post by Brand New Eyes

On your most recent post:

Banks are being forced to ring-fence their retail arms here at least through the recommendations by the Vicker's Report. The only problem is that its coming into force in 2019. In Europe, doing so would make borrowing even more expensive and pose risk to already temperamental growth and employment levels. Dealing with the structural problems of the finance sector can only come later, once their economies have recovered. Pulling the plug on bailouts or subsidies as you mention now is the worser evil.

It's easy to say doing X and Y will solve these problems but we reach an international consensus on financial regulation nothing is going to change.

I was unaware that it was only being introduced in 2019. But I imagine it is a very complex process, which, if rushed, could could large fluctuations in credit available which would cause all kinds of problems. Well hopefully by 2019 economic growth throughout Europe will have picked up, but your point is true, it should be implemented at a time when an immediate increase in commercial and corporate borrowing rates can be weathered by the economy. However, you could argue that once the retail sectors of banks are ring-fenced, their corporate arms are no longer protected by the government, so cities such as London, may become less profitable of a location for financial services firms than before, causing them to move overseas. This could cause more economic damage than the cost of bailing out all of our banks combined.

Quick Reply

Latest