The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Im a graduate applicant - just received a rejection. Sad times :frown:
Had the interview, they're so nice.
Original post by andrewpeters
Had the interview, they're so nice.

Glad to hear that they're nice; so nervous about my one on the 22nd! How smartly were people dressed? They said 'smart-casual' would be alright (but then again, so did Cardiff, and everyone turned up in suits)
Original post by Kidneyjean
Glad to hear that they're nice; so nervous about my one on the 22nd! How smartly were people dressed? They said 'smart-casual' would be alright (but then again, so did Cardiff, and everyone turned up in suits)

Very smart, come in a suit.
Reply 1044

wear something comfortable....i find suits highly annoying and suffocating...especially at an interview where there is all the more reason to sweat. just wear comfortable clothes no school will deny you just because you didnt have a coat on...that would be ridiculous.
Reply 1045
got put on the reserve list =/ (before interview btw)

anyone know the odds of something good coming from this? Atleast it wasn't a rejection I guess?
Original post by .eXe
wear something comfortable....i find suits highly annoying and suffocating...especially at an interview where there is all the more reason to sweat. just wear comfortable clothes no school will deny you just because you didnt have a coat on...that would be ridiculous.

Well something you should get used to as most doctors will and do wear suits.
Reply 1047
Well something you should get used to as most doctors will and do wear suits.

yes i am comfortable with suits, just not on interview days when i expect to be extra nervous and sweat quite a bit.

i dont expect to be nervous and get grilled with questions designed to trip me up as a doctor so thats a moot point.
Original post by hopes
got put on the reserve list =/ (before interview btw)

anyone know the odds of something good coming from this? Atleast it wasn't a rejection I guess?

I emailed them about the reserve list as I am on it too - they said they have about 100-150 people on it most years but that they couldn't predict how many would be interviewed this year as it is to do with how many people have accepted their offer by April apparently!

Best of luck! :biggrin:
Reply 1049
Original post by brighteyes1994
I emailed them about the reserve list as I am on it too - they said they have about 100-150 people on it most years but that they couldn't predict how many would be interviewed this year as it is to do with how many people have accepted their offer by April apparently!

Best of luck! :biggrin:

thank you :smile:
Reply 1050
Had an interview at BSMS on 4th Feb. Emailed admissions people and they said no one from that day will hear before March 14th because they have an admissions day where they decide. Nice to know won't be till then so don't keep checking all the time. I have an offer from Bristol and King's already and an interview at Peninsula next week. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks :smile: Also, I saw that earlier in the thread, you asked if the interviews were sciency or not. Did you find that to be the case? (I can understand if you'd rather not say)

Original post by .eXe

I'd rather not test fate... and like andrewpeters said, doctors wear suits (or at least a shirt and tie) every day, and are likely to be in situations much more stressful than an interview! I'm not the biggest fan of suits either, but I'd be even more nervous turning up in completely different clothes to everyone else.
Original post by DanHancock
has anyone tried applying for student finance and found they couldn't find BSMS on the University search?

Original post by WillC123
I had the same problem. I rang student finance england to try and sort it out but they werent much help and actually said i need to figure it out myself. Dont think itll be much of an issue however as, assuming youve applied to other med schools not in london, youll be entitled to the same amount anyway. And you can sort out uni details later anyway.

It's a bit of a nightmare on the student finance website but it's basically under Brighton University, not Sussex.
I'd rather not test fate... and like andrewpeters said, doctors wear suits (or at least a shirt and tie) every day, and are likely to be in situations much more stressful than an interview! I'm not the biggest fan of suits either, but I'd be even more nervous turning up in completely different clothes to everyone else.

I wore a plain shirt, tie and trousers to my interview. You never know; dressing differently to everyone else might make you stand out to the interviewees. It's also my opinion that I put across a more level-with-patients impression by dressing in a shirt and tie. I think a full suit is too forward - it's probably just me, but I'd feel less comfortable with a doctor in clinic wearing a suit (which I have never seen).

So yeah, just drop the blazers and waistcoats imo :yy:
Original post by CraigKirk
I wore a plain shirt, tie and trousers to my interview. You never know; dressing differently to everyone else might make you stand out to the interviewees. It's also my opinion that I put across a more level-with-patients impression by dressing in a shirt and tie. I think a full suit is too forward - it's probably just me, but I'd feel less comfortable with a doctor in clinic wearing a suit (which I have never seen).

So yeah, just drop the blazers and waistcoats imo :yy:

I've yet to actually wear my blazer in the interview room, so I'm with you on the shirt and tie front... I just read "comfortable clothes" and thought plaid shirt and jeans :tongue:

I can't imagine an FY1 in full suit, running around the hospital!
Reply 1055

I had my interview on Feb 18th, the whole interview set up is very friendly and does well to relax you. However my interview was actually pretty tough, alot of questions and I wouldn't say friendly, but not unfriendly either, just formal. Felt it went pretty well though. And I'd say 90% of people were dressed the same as every other medical interview, suit and smart etc. I saw 1 boy without a tie, and maybe 2 without a jacket.

Although some people are saying "I wouldn't expect Dr to be wearing full suit", well this is an interview, it's different imo and giving a good impression is key so I personally would recommend a suit. However I would say they're definitely not going to reject you purely on appearance of course :smile: I just personally feel more comfortable dressed smart to an interview.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've yet to actually wear my blazer in the interview room, so I'm with you on the shirt and tie front... I just read "comfortable clothes" and thought plaid shirt and jeans :tongue:

I can't imagine an FY1 in full suit, running around the hospital!

I didn't wear a suit or tie to my interview and I have an offer :P also they were friendly in the interview :smile:
Thanks :smile: Also, I saw that earlier in the thread, you asked if the interviews were sciency or not. Did you find that to be the case? (I can understand if you'd rather not say)

Yes it was sciency so be prepared
Original post by crazychef
I didn't wear a suit or tie to my interview and I have an offer :P also they were friendly in the interview :smile:

You have an offer???
Reply 1059
I didnt get anything sciencey at all. More questions on my ps than anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending