The Student Room Group

Weight loss support + PICS :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
That's your opinion. There are many guys out there who like bigger girls, many more than you think (although there's a lot of white knighting here I agree). In the end though, she should just do what she wants.

Perhaps I should have just put "she was a healthier weight" before, or something.. Attractiveness and stuff is too subjective.

She should do what she wants - I just think that people should encourage people to be healthier, and the whole people being "fine the way they are" attitude is a big part of what's led to the obesity epidemic and what not that we have, being told you look great or fine the way you are doesn't help you to make a positive change for your future health, if nothing else. (I'm not saying she's obese, either, incidentally)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Heyaaa!
I just thought I'd put my two cents in here because I started working out about 5 months ago. I don't work out for weight loss so no I'm no expert, but working out in general has taught me a thing or two about getting fit and becoming healthy.

The first thing I would do in terms of your calorie intake is find out what your Base Metabolic Rate is. That's the number of calories you'd burn if you were lying in bed all day doing nothing. I don't know your age, but according to your height and weight I'm guessing you'll be somewhere around the 1600 calorie mark. I would then stick to somewhere just below that to lose weight with minimal exercise or stick to that actual number if you are going to be exercising a lot because your body will need those calories to sustain the exercise.

If I give you my example: My BMR is around 1350, but I eat around 1500 calories a day (remember, I'm not exercising for weight loss though). I work out 3 times a week for 2 hours, working off around 500 calories per session, which means I burn off around 1500 calories extra per week (and that's not including normal daily walking/climbing stairs etc.) Although I eat more than my BMR, I don't gain/lose weight because of the exercise. 1350x7= 9450 (My Basic BMR calorie burning in a week) 1500x7= 10500 - 1500 = 9000 calories (My weekly calorie intake minus the calories I burn at the gym).

It takes about a 3500 calorie deficit to lose a lb, so it would take me around 7 weeks to lose a lb, assuming I stick to the above figures.

Now, I worked up to working out that much and I actually find 2 hours can be pretty tough myself, so I would suggest you start off with about 1 hour of training 3-4 times a week if you can instead.

If you stick to a 1500 calorie a day intake and burn off 250 calories per hour 3-4 times a week you could lose a lb within around 2-3 weeks. I think that would be a good steady and very realistic weight loss target. Though obviously feel free to exercise more if you have the time or want to lose the pounds faster! Either way, make sure to put in a good mix of stretching, cardio, free weights and machinery to make sure you're losing those calories, but toning while you're at it. If you can, I would suggest getting a personal trainer to start with who can teach you what to do and then go it on your own once you're more sure about what you're doing...ooor if that's a bit too expensive there's always www.freetrainers.com which will give you an exercise and food plan according to what your goals are.

Sorry this turned into a super long essay haha. Good luck with your weight loss though and I hope you achieve what you want for yourself! :biggrin:

p.s. Don't forget that fruit and veg :wink:
Yeah people saying that she looks "beautiful" as she is are irritating. Yeah, she does look pretty, and yeah, it's not like she is hideous, but she wants to lose weight because it is affecting her and she knows that she was thinner and (perhaps) happier before.

So many guys crawl out from TSR cracks trying to hit on girls I swear lol.

Good luck with your weight loss! This was three weeks ago, so how are things going?
Reply 43
Does anyone else think BMR is a load of crap or is it just me?
Reply 44
Original post by McHumpy92
Does anyone else think BMR is a load of crap or is it just me?

Why do you think it's a bunch of crap? Makes sense that somebody of a tall/big height and weight would use more calories per day than somebody of a short/small height and weight... doesn't it?
Reply 45
Original post by fl4mers
Why do you think it's a bunch of crap? Makes sense that somebody of a tall/big height and weight would use more calories per day than somebody of a short/small height and weight... doesn't it?

Yes, but how the hell do people know or workout how many calories they burn a day? Plus it leads to calorie counting which is just boring. I think people over complicate eating healthy and doing exercise.
Reply 46
Original post by KKKKatie
Hey guys, I have recently decided i need to actually go on that diet and get healthy rather than just think about it!

at the moment I'm 5'8" weigh 85kg (bmi of 29.somethingishh?) and am a size 16

a few years ago I was a size 8-10 and would love to be something near this again!

i was planning on simply eating less/ healthier (around 1300 cals a day?) and exercising a lot more, but what i really need help with is motivation!!

I have attatched 2 pics from when i was a size 8-10 and a few at the weight i am now to compare.

ps. sorry for the pose-y pictures!

Holy s***

Amazing transformation.

You are evidence that so many larger people could be beautiful if they lost the weight. So many girls I've seen and thought, damn, she could be fine if she was thin and healthy.

Thanks for sharing this
Kkk Katie? Da fuuuuk?
Reply 48
Original post by McHumpy92
Yes, but how the hell do people know or workout how many calories they burn a day? Plus it leads to calorie counting which is just boring. I think people over complicate eating healthy and doing exercise.

I think it's good when you have a set goal to achieve, so you know whether you're on track or not. Using your BMR (which is easily calculated with an online BMR calculator such as http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) you can roughly calculate how long it will take you to lose a set amount of weight. If you're at a weight you're happy with and things are working for you then that's great, well done. But if you want to lose weight like the OP apparently does then the BMR is a good measure to help... but you're entitled to your opinion.

As for calorie counting... it's not the most fun thing in the world but I think once you get into the habit of exercising and drinking lots of water while you're exercising and see results you don't so much calorie count as just avoid things that you know are bad for you. I know I don't really snack nowadays and my appetite is way smaller than it used to be, which I reckon is a result of the exercise and the fact that I'll drink almost 3 litres at an average workout which naturally makes me less hungry. Plus, I still eat what I want to... just don't pig out on it. It's all about portion control and feeling when you're full. Once your fork goes down, leave it down. It's a mind thing really, but you gotta train yourself to think that way. But I understand that not everyone will want to do that and that's ok... I just hope you never find yourself in a position where you want to shed a load of weight though, because then you may just be in trouble.

p.s. As for the overcomplicating things. I agree, but I think people in general don't do as much exercise as they used to, so that's probably what's led to that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Hey Guys, thanks for all the comments etccc, thought I'd update everyone. Been doing it for around 3 weeks and so far have lost around 3 kilos-ishh. I fell off the wagon a bit around valentines day haha but now back on the wagon and hoping to continue :smile:
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
That's your opinion. There are many guys out there who like bigger girls, many more than you think (although there's a lot of white knighting here I agree). In the end though, she should just do what she wants.

I concur! I like bigger girls myself but obviously the OP should do what she's comfortable with..
Reply 52
9855.jpg

this.
Hey guys, I have recently decided i need to actually go on that diet and get healthy rather than just think about it!

at the moment I'm 5'8" weigh 85kg (bmi of 29.somethingishh?) and am a size 16

a few years ago I was a size 8-10 and would love to be something near this again!

i was planning on simply eating less/ healthier (around 1300 cals a day?) and exercising a lot more, but what i really need help with is motivation!!

I have attatched 2 pics from when i was a size 8-10 and a few at the weight i am now to compare.

ps. sorry for the pose-y pictures!

Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.
Reply 54
Focus and determination with discipline these are the key to your success in order to loose weight.
That is awesome!

And you are so peng
You still look really good! I used to be a size 10, around 125lb (the photo in my profile was taken around then!) and I'm now a size 14-16, 180lb ish. :sadnod: I've tried so many times in the past year to lose weight, but I found it impossible living away from my parents. When I lived back home last summer for a month, I lost 10lb over 3 weeks. I'm living back home now, so as of today I'm back to getting fit! We can do it. :yes: I'm going to zumba twice a week, and going running every other day. I'm not going to change my diet drastically, rather eat sensibly and eat more fruit/veg.
Reply 57
Hi! thought i'd keep everyone updated on progress, I've lost just over a stone since i started and here's a recent pic that i think (hope) shows the progress!
Hi! thought i'd keep everyone updated on progress, I've lost just over a stone since i started and here's a recent pic that i think (hope) shows the progress!

You look really great in this picture, i'd say your THERE already. :smile:
Reply 59

wow well done! amazing! You looked great with the weight and without the weight in my opinion, but I know what it's like to feel like you're just walking around in a fat suit! I hope you're feeling happier and more energetic now. What has your exercise regime and diet been like? Trying to lose weight myself!

Quick Reply

Latest