The Student Room Group

London College of Fashion - Fashion styling& photography or Fashion Photography

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by katieknows
hey y'all I just had my interview for BA fashion photography today they asked me loads about recent collections from nyfw, what I thought of the pre falls, what I'm looking forward to in lfw and about my favourite agencies - quite in depth - luckily I knew my stuff but saw some girls crying about it where they got shot down for being unprepared BEWARE KIDS
also be concise with what work you bring they said they hate people taking a big random range of work.
good luck peeps lemme know how you get along. oh also post links to your portfolios would be cool to see some of your work x

Really? I guess foundation must be totally different, though a girl I met there said the girl before her came out crying too. Still, I'm looking forward to my interview tomorrow, but I must say I'm really surprised that they focused more on designers than photographers (from the sounds of it, right?)

I don't have an online portfolio, but mine is very different to other peoples which kind of worries me..

Do you have your folio online by chance? :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by OliviaVW
Really? I guess foundation must be totally different, though a girl I met there said the girl before her came out crying too. Still, I'm looking forward to my interview tomorrow, but I must say I'm really surprised that they focused more on designers than photographers (from the sounds of it, right?)

I don't have an online portfolio, but mine is very different to other peoples which kind of worries me..

Do you have your folio online by chance? :smile:

Yeah I think they want to make sure you have a hardcore interest in fashion I guess? I think they want to see if they can catch you out too. Hey don't be worried it's definitely good to have a style of your own, a lot of people seem to have slightly lame taste or make really generic pictures. Attach your favourite picture of yours and I'll post one of mine :smile: what course are you doing at the moment?
Original post by Karl_harker
Hey guys, first thread here so be nice xD

I've applied for LCF for two courses
- Fashion Styling & Photography
&
- Fashion Photography

I applied like 4 days before the deadline so I'm probably being a bit over the top xD

Just wondered if anyone has heard from them or have interviews for the courses?

Thanks guys...... :smile: :biggrin: :smile:

as a matter of fact, my housemate's just applied to both. also four days before the deadline, if not two.

she's heard back from both, had an interview on monday for the styling course and got rejected from the straight fashion photography cos she doesn't have foundation.
So how did peoples interviews go?

Mine went better than last year, but still don't think I've got a place. They said they loved my photography but there weren't enough fashion stories in my book. Fair comment really, it's true!

I took my commercial portfolio with my general work in that I use to get clients day to day, as well as my experimental and research book which is here (although I took a few less shots):

http://www.charlottemoss.co.uk/gallery/Pressbook-Portfolio/G0000Y_qmWvMPvDs
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Mine was rubbish (I was the hysterical crying blonde girl, if anyone happened to see me.. :biggrin:)

They pretty much were really condescending about my age, told me of how they'd already offered places to other people who were 'better'. Oh, and how I was very lucky to be there considering I'd also applied for the foundation because apparently this guy isn't meant to interview people that apply for the FdA as well. I got the impression that those two courses hate each other, but I now know for sure that I'd go for the foundation. It was just a constant supply of insults.

They said that my photographs are well planned out and my casting is good, but that other peoples work was also of a high quality, and I probably wouldn't get on the course, and to not take it personally. I pretty much got rejected straight up in my interview. I felt like I'd just sat through half hour of criticism (which I'm open to and welcome with open arms) but it was the delivery of it that really just pissed me off. They did say that I'm very dedicated though, as I'm entirely self-taught and it's all done in my own time.

Nevertheless, I have withdrawn from the BA course, because the main guy (whom I have fondly nicknamed Beardy because I have forgotten his name) was mean, and I can't imagine them being supportive at all. The other guy was okay, and actually asked me questions and seemed interested in my work, but they didn't ask anything at all about fashion, or even photographers. It was pretty much just them having a sarcastic joke between friends, whilst I'm sat there thinking I shouldn't be. I can't imagine going there any more, it's put me right off LCF, even though I had a great interview for the FdA.

Good luck for everyone else :smile:
I'm now off to Newport or Solent because I want to do a BA, and really have super hatred for LCF right now (yes, I'm aware I'm bitter.) xx
Reply 25
I found the interview strange. The lady and man interviewing me were very polite and friendly. I just had a chat with them about my college course I'm doing at the moment and they looked through my work. They did say that my photos are a little more styling than the photography itself which i found confusing but get it i think. I got the impression they thought my work was ok but maybe not right for the course but I didn't understand all the people coming out looking flustered as the experience I had wasnt too bad. I thought it went really quickly though and they didn't ask me about what photographers i liked or what designers I like or anything like that. Maybe they just werent interested in me/my work and wanted to get rid ha. They said good work before i left though and told me i would have to wait to see on ucas whether i got a place as they were still interviewing more people. Who knows what to think. Will have to just wait and see.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
My interview went terrible, ... Cried all the way home.
I couldn't explain my work because I could barely talk, they were really nice but I just had a little bit of a melt down before

I saw a girl crying walking out with her dad and at that point I panicked !
Reply 27
Hey, I had my interview last week too, seems really different to the experiences everyone else seems to have had though? I thought they were nice, they asked lots of questions about the work and seemed genuinely interested in what I was doing. I'm sorry to hear others didn't go so well :frown:
I was going to ask if anyone had heard back yet? They said 3 weeks to me (and others I know who've had interviews there) but it seems so long! I really just want to know, the other courses I've applied for gave me an offer within 2 or 3 days.

For anyone that hasn't had an interview yet, don't be put off by peoples experiences above. On the day I had mine no one was crying or anything, they timed the interview so to give everyone a fair chance & they don't try to catch you out either, they asked quite basic questions which you would expect. They didn't ask me anything about fashion collections, favourite designers etc, they want to know about the photography, they said to me photography is the focus the fashion comes secondary to that. They started by looking at my portfolio, asking me to talk them through it- the ideas/concepts behind the images etc. They asked how I had done them which gave me a chance to tell them about my skills & they asked who had inspired them so I got to talk about the photographers I like, just general questions like that. I was scared it was going to be horrible but it was honestly fine! It was what I expected from a photography interview so as long as your prepared for that & have a strong portfolio you'll be fine!
Reply 28
Original post by audreyrose
Hey, I had my interview last week too, seems really different to the experiences everyone else seems to have had though? I thought they were nice, they asked lots of questions about the work and seemed genuinely interested in what I was doing. I'm sorry to hear others didn't go so well :frown:
I was going to ask if anyone had heard back yet? They said 3 weeks to me (and others I know who've had interviews there) but it seems so long! I really just want to know, the other courses I've applied for gave me an offer within 2 or 3 days.

For anyone that hasn't had an interview yet, don't be put off by peoples experiences above. On the day I had mine no one was crying or anything, they timed the interview so to give everyone a fair chance & they don't try to catch you out either, they asked quite basic questions which you would expect. They didn't ask me anything about fashion collections, favourite designers etc, they want to know about the photography, they said to me photography is the focus the fashion comes secondary to that. They started by looking at my portfolio, asking me to talk them through it- the ideas/concepts behind the images etc. They asked how I had done them which gave me a chance to tell them about my skills & they asked who had inspired them so I got to talk about the photographers I like, just general questions like that. I was scared it was going to be horrible but it was honestly fine! It was what I expected from a photography interview so as long as your prepared for that & have a strong portfolio you'll be fine!

was this for the foundation or the fashion photography course?

my interview was on the 13th january, they said they would get back by the end of next week but tbh i know i havnt got a place, i screwed up big time, at one point i dropped my sketch book and all my work went every where on the floor !
it was something from an episode of miranda it was that awkward!!
Reply 29
That was for the BA Fashion Photography course.
Oh gosh, maybe it wasn't as bad as you think...? Have you not heard back then? They must have to give you an answer soon, god they take so long to get back to you don't they!
You could always re-apply next year though :smile: Where else have you applied?
Reply 30
Original post by audreyrose

Mine was very similar to this. Still not heard anything either.
Reply 31
Anyone heard back yet?
Reply 32
I haven't, its been 2 weeks now so I guess 1 more week to go.
Where are everyone's first choices?
Reply 33
I got a conditional today for ba fashion photography
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
I had my interview on February the 7th for Foundation fashion styling and photography,It's been a month still not heard anything, has anyone else heard from this course ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by 21-87
I had my interview on February the 7th for Foundation fashion styling and photography,It's been a month still not heard anything, has anyone else heard from this course ?

I think the BA fashion photography applicants all heard back today,

I don't think anyone's heard back yet for fashion styling and photography, I check my email about 468 times a day haha! I called them and they said they can take up till next week :frown:
Reply 36
Got a Conditional today For Fashion Photography and Styling :biggrin: sooo happpy

Anyone else who got on the course and is deffinetly going add me on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/#!/J.P.Spires

Be nice to get to know some people before we go :biggrin: just wap me a inbox letting me know your on the course

Good luck to you all :biggrin:x
I had my interview for BA Fashion Photography on the 13th feb and haven't heard back yet :frown: .
Original post by jords261
Got a Conditional today For Fashion Photography and Styling :biggrin: sooo happpy

Anyone else who got on the course and is deffinetly going add me on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/#!/J.P.Spires

Be nice to get to know some people before we go :biggrin: just wap me a inbox letting me know your on the course

Good luck to you all :biggrin:x

aaahhh well done me too!! super excited. i'll add you now:smile: x
Hello! I have been given a conditional offer on the Fashion styling and photography course and it is 100% my first choice! Anyone else going and doing a course on the Lime Grove campus add me on facebook!
[Mod note: Facebook link removed, please use private messages to exchange contact details]

Also - Although the new Costume Store halls are closer to the Lime Grove campus, I'm a bit wary that there is not much going on around there in Ealing which is why Im thinking of putting Will Wyatt as my first choice, being right near shoreditch I think this could be a better option? Anyone thought about accomodation? Let me know!

Jessica xx

Quick Reply

Latest