The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by ameelia22
Omg one sounds tragic, the other sounds hilarious. I did a day in A&E, and although it was eventful, it was nothing as eventful as that! Woah, you vagina whore! At least you didn't throw up/pass out or anything, because I imagine that would be quite offensive :tongue:

christ...i'm a bit, cynical? dismayed? by the way the drunks use the NHS - or generally people that don't deserve it in fact. Not horrendously against it, everyone deserves care, but it's a bit unnerving to see patients that have inflicted their own harm in full knowledge of the drain they are piling onto the NHS.

How do you find the nurses on work experience btw? Some of them are right arses, and really take a disliking to you the minute you step through.

Share away young medic, i thought this thread had gotten a bit quiet!

Haha yeah I loved A&E <3 and apparently it is one of the less competitive branches of medicine (which is not surprising :rolleyes:) but 'vagina whore' love your wording there :colone: and I totally agree with the misuse of NHS by some people. There's this whole reform going with Lansley and crap which I find odd since I do agree that maybe NHS do need reform but certainly not in conservative way (ima bit of a politics freak :tongue:)

I found nurses lovely actually, I thought some of them would be quite mean but they were all very helpful but there was one paediatrics doctor who was a bit nasty and giving me 'the look' in resus room. Fair enough she was dealing with a difficult child patient in there but still ....:frown:
Original post by IAmMclovin
Im going to try and get some for the summer hols, and try to get 4 weeks done in a hospital if possible, i doubt i'll get that much though :/

I want to get my UKCAT done early, like in july, just to get it out of the way and cram work exp + PS. But I kinda need 700+ and dont know how much revision its going to take to get that :/, and i dunno if taking it early will be a disadvantage cos ill have had less time to revise/practice :s-smilie:

Where a bouts in the UK are you? Big city or countryside? Yeah, I can understand that - look at it this way:

you can do it early, with less revision times, and have it out the way
or
worst case scenario, you don't manage to get a huge amount of ukcat revision done whilst on work exp etc, and so you actually end up with the same amount of revision time, whether or not you planned to do more?

Original post by chiny94
Haha yeah I loved A&amp;E &lt;3 and apparently it is one of the less competitive branches of medicine (which is not surprising :rolleyes:) but 'vagina whore' love your wording there :colone: and I totally agree with the misuse of NHS by some people. There's this whole reform going with Lansley and crap which I find odd since I do agree that maybe NHS do need reform but certainly not in conservative way (ima bit of a politics freak :tongue:)

I found nurses lovely actually, I thought some of them would be quite mean but they were all very helpful but there was one paediatrics doctor who was a bit nasty and giving me 'the look' in resus room. Fair enough she was dealing with a difficult child patient in there but still ....:frown:

I gotta lurve A&E! I imagine it's wicked on w.exp but the kinda thing your more reserved about committing a life time too - can you imagine? Would be exhausting. I know as a doctor it's life and death every day anyway, but in a&e it's like, life and death 3 second choice every hour! But still the best for experience!

Ooh Politics! TEACH MEH. If i had the time / brain room to get my head around half the stufff waggwarning in the government I would! When sh*t was going down in Egypt and Libya, I tried to understand...I really did. But it just seemed like: horrible leader killing own people, people protest, UK steps in, leader overthrown...

Oh thats a surprise actually. You can see it in some of the nurses eyes, hatred, jealousy, general dislike for teenagers: they certainly didn't take a liking to me when I was on my A&E experience.

Urgh cow. Should have slipped her a note saying '6 years time pal, i'll show you how it's done,':colone:
Reply 1042
I gotta lurve A&E! I imagine it's wicked on w.exp but the kinda thing your more reserved about committing a life time too - can you imagine? Would be exhausting. I know as a doctor it's life and death every day anyway, but in a&e it's like, life and death 3 second choice every hour! But still the best for experience!

Ooh Politics! TEACH MEH. If i had the time / brain room to get my head around half the stufff waggwarning in the government I would! When sh*t was going down in Egypt and Libya, I tried to understand...I really did. But it just seemed like: horrible leader killing own people, people protest, UK steps in, leader overthrown...

Oh thats a surprise actually. You can see it in some of the nurses eyes, hatred, jealousy, general dislike for teenagers: they certainly didn't take a liking to me when I was on my A&E experience.

Urgh cow. Should have slipped her a note saying '6 years time pal, i'll show you how it's done,':colone:

Politics certainly confuse me sometimes and as much as I like politics, I hate politicians so decided not to do AS government and politics and it can be a bit boring I guess :rolleyes: but good on you for at least trying to understand the situation :biggrin: !! And oh.. Some are just horrible :angry: they probably may have children like us and they wouldn't certainly want their children to be treated the way they treated you :mad: but hahahahaha she was FY2 and her attitude kind of put me off paediatrics (and I love children - not in that way lol), see what one person's action can cause?...chaos I tell ya :colone:

So! Have you decided where to apply and shizz then? :smile:
Original post by chiny94
Thought I should Post about what happened during my A&E work experience today. I was shadowing an A&E doctor and because this lady was in severe pain in the lower abdomen. She was 6 weeks pregnant and was heavily bleeding suggesting miscarriage. So I was shadowing both A&E doc and gynaecologist at the same time in resus and I actually got to look up her vagina when the doctor was putting speculum in (the lady allowed me to stay :biggrin:) which was quite..Interesting! I didn't mind it at all actually :smile: but there was this man next bed who was snoring and all of a sudden he was urinating all over the floor!!!! :eek: I was behind the curtain so I couldn't see what was happening but I could feel something splashing (?) and could hear it and it was not nice... According to one of the nurses, he wasn't even standing up, he was just sitting down on his bed urinating like a fountain :colondollar: thought it was quite funny. He was obviously drunk, homeless :'( it was quite an event. Thought I should share this :colone: (sorry if it was a bit random :rolleyes:)

Kinda jealous of you getting to shadow a gynaecologist. My dream work experience would be in O&G!

Your work experience sounds really interesting. Hi, by the way. I don't think we've talked before, but I'm really bad with usernames so if I'm wrong, I'm sorry :tongue:
Where a bouts in the UK are you? Big city or countryside? Yeah, I can understand that - look at it this way:

you can do it early, with less revision times, and have it out the way
or
worst case scenario, you don't manage to get a huge amount of ukcat revision done whilst on work exp etc, and so you actually end up with the same amount of revision time, whether or not you planned to do more?

Neither, a town actually :tongue:

Yeah i suppose so, but id feel more comforted in the summer with the knowledge that the UKCAT is done and dusted, know what i mean?

Does anyone know how the UKCAT is actually scored? is it like 70% correct is equivalent to 700? :s-smilie:
Reply 1045
It's been a while, i've been away for a week ripping up the piste of Sauze D'Oulx in Italy.

Skiing is the best thing to forget about everything!
Original post by chiny94
Politics certainly confuse me sometimes and as much as I like politics, I hate politicians so decided not to do AS government and politics and it can be a bit boring I guess :rolleyes: but good on you for at least trying to understand the situation :biggrin: !! And oh.. Some are just horrible :angry: they probably may have children like us and they wouldn't certainly want their children to be treated the way they treated you :mad: but hahahahaha she was FY2 and her attitude kind of put me off paediatrics (and I love children - not in that way lol), see what one person's action can cause?...chaos I tell ya :colone:

So! Have you decided where to apply and shizz then? :smile:

God i'd love a bit of politics a-level :smartass: IKR. oh. love children do you. all children. thats, interesting. Do the police know? JK :P

As much as I love kiddies (that sounds way worse, right?) particularly babies (yep, sounds awful) It would just break my heart - I cant keep from my eyes welling up in those RSPCC ads fgs.

WELL check out me ol' academic profile, s'all on there :smile: what about you?

Original post by IAmMclovin
Neither, a town actually :tongue:

Yeah i suppose so, but id feel more comforted in the summer with the knowledge that the UKCAT is done and dusted, know what i mean?

Does anyone know how the UKCAT is actually scored? is it like 70% correct is equivalent to 700? :s-smilie:

Yeah, fair enough, each to their own.

No idea :\ good question now you mention it...

Original post by fletchdd02
It's been a while, i've been away for a week ripping up the piste of Sauze D'Oulx in Italy.

Skiing is the best thing to forget about everything!

Lucky for some! I have spent a week procrastinating - litterally, i've done appallingly little, it's not that im unmotivated, i'm just......tired :yawn: Boy am I going to regret this when I go back next week!
Hey guys :smile:

Just thought I'd post (first since the last thread, woo!) and reassure you all that I did not die in a horrible car crash aha.

What have ya'll been up to? :wink:

Will come back in a short while!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1048
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Kinda jealous of you getting to shadow a gynaecologist. My dream work experience would be in O&G!

Your work experience sounds really interesting. Hi, by the way. I don't think we've talked before, but I'm really bad with usernames so if I'm wrong, I'm sorry :tongue:

Haha don't worry, I don't think we've talked before either :smile: and really? Why gynecology? I only got couple of days in A&E, so hopefully I will be able to hunt more work experience down :biggrin: I'm really interested in neurology and psychiatry. (geriatrics and paediatrics sound good too) just because I like brain :F but after my w/e A&E sounds deffo awesome too :biggrin:
Reply 1049
Original post by Last Chance
Hey guys :smile:

Just thought I'd post (first since the last thread, woo!) and reassure you all that I did not die in a horrible car crash aha.

What have ya'll been up to? :wink:

Will come back in a short while!

Work experience woo! :biggrin:
Reply 1050
God i'd love a bit of politics a-level :smartass: IKR. oh. love children do you. all children. thats, interesting. Do the police know? JK :P

As much as I love kiddies (that sounds way worse, right?) particularly babies (yep, sounds awful) It would just break my heart - I cant keep from my eyes welling up in those RSPCC ads fgs.

WELL check out me ol' academic profile, s'all on there :smile: what about you?

Ah, I see! Well I'm not quite sure but I really like the sounds of Barts and UCL! But then it all depends on the admission tests :redface:oo :frown:
Original post by chiny94
Haha don't worry, I don't think we've talked before either :smile: and really? Why gynecology? I only got couple of days in A&E, so hopefully I will be able to hunt more work experience down :biggrin: I'm really interested in neurology and psychiatry. (geriatrics and paediatrics sound good too) just because I like brain :F but after my w/e A&E sounds deffo awesome too :biggrin:

Good, haha. Well, Obstetrics and Gynaecology is the specialty I'm most interested at this stage (that may change as I go through medical school, obviously), for quite a few reasons. It's quite varied as far as hospital specialties go, it combines both medicine and surgery, and it's unique in the fact that you're balancing two lives at once (on the obstetrics side). Plus there's a number of sub-specialties and all of them seem quite interesting, and I'm just overall interested in working in that specialty :smile:

There are others I'm interested in too, including psychiatry and paediatrics (paeds in general, neonatology and paeds surgery!). But who knows, at the end of med school I may end up being a pathologist or a general surgeon! Pretty sure I don't want to be a GP though :tongue:

Lucky for some! I have spent a week procrastinating - litterally, i've done appallingly little, it's not that im unmotivated, i'm just......tired :yawn: Boy am I going to regret this when I go back next week!

gosh i thought it was just me. i feel really awful about it as i'm back to school in 2 days. i had a completely unfulfilling week. i was so tired everyday. the only thing i did that was worthwhile (which is subjective anyway) was hand in a crb form. i'm going to try and make the best of tomorrow.
Hey everyone, I'm back again :hello:

Just thought I'd report what I've been up to :smile:

This week I've been doing Work Experience in my local hospital. It was first time doing medical work experience (I'm late to the party), but now it has made me want to be a doctor more than ever.
Day 1 - Stroke Ward - I spent the morning following the nursing staff and helping them do jobs like cleaning, making beds, handing out meals and talking to the patients, who were all so lovely! I ate lunch with some junior doctors and medical students and then followed them round the wards in the afternoon. I loved it, one doctor gave me lots of great advice for interviews!
Day 2 - Cardiorespiratory department - I was just observing all day but it was very fascinating, saw ECGs, Exercise tests, BP tests and Echos. I loved the Echos. Went round a few wards to see some portable ECGs too. Ate with the same junior doctors again who were very friendly. :smile:
Day 3 - Pathology, lots of observing, got to look down some microscopes, it's all a bit of a blur to me now, made me sure I wanted to have patient contact and not be confined to a lab.
Day 4 - X-ray and diagnostic imaging, saw MR and CT scans, X-rays and some ultrasounds. I got a tour of A&E too, but it was very quiet, nothing really seemed to be going on at the time.

I think I enjoyed the ward the most, I enjoyed how much I actually got to talk to the patients and do things for them :smile:

I am however concerned that I'm never going to have enough work experience... other than this I've only had a week in a primary school. This hospital week took months and months to come through, I've called so many GPs and they don't do WE or are booked up and I have absolutely no contacts. I do however (fingers crossed) have weekly hospital volunteering coming up soon, so that should be good.
Reply 1054
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Good, haha. Well, Obstetrics and Gynaecology is the specialty I'm most interested at this stage (that may change as I go through medical school, obviously), for quite a few reasons. It's quite varied as far as hospital specialties go, it combines both medicine and surgery, and it's unique in the fact that you're balancing two lives at once (on the obstetrics side). Plus there's a number of sub-specialties and all of them seem quite interesting, and I'm just overall interested in working in that specialty :smile:

There are others I'm interested in too, including psychiatry and paediatrics (paeds in general, neonatology and paeds surgery!). But who knows, at the end of med school I may end up being a pathologist or a general surgeon! Pretty sure I don't want to be a GP though :tongue:

Ah I see that makes total sense now :smile: both surgical and medical! That's pretty awesome and yeah I think I'm going to change after med school i mean it's very likely that I will anyway after experiencing lots of different branches of medicine :rolleyes: so do you know where you want to apply then?
Reply 1055
Original post by SusieShire

This week I've been doing Work Experience in my local hospital. It was first time doing medical work experience (I'm late to the party), but now it has made me want to be a doctor more than ever.
Day 1 - Stroke Ward - I spent the morning following the nursing staff and helping them do jobs like cleaning, making beds, handing out meals and talking to the patients, who were all so lovely! I ate lunch with some junior doctors and medical students and then followed them round the wards in the afternoon. I loved it, one doctor gave me lots of great advice for interviews!
Day 2 - Cardiorespiratory department - I was just observing all day but it was very fascinating, saw ECGs, Exercise tests, BP tests and Echos. I loved the Echos. Went round a few wards to see some portable ECGs too. Ate with the same junior doctors again who were very friendly. :smile:
Day 3 - Pathology, lots of observing, got to look down some microscopes, it's all a bit of a blur to me now, made me sure I wanted to have patient contact and not be confined to a lab.
Day 4 - X-ray and diagnostic imaging, saw MR and CT scans, X-rays and some ultrasounds. I got a tour of A&E too, but it was very quiet, nothing really seemed to be going on at the time.

I think I enjoyed the ward the most, I enjoyed how much I actually got to talk to the patients and do things for them :smile:

I am however concerned that I'm never going to have enough work experience... other than this I've only had a week in a primary school. This hospital week took months and months to come through, I've called so many GPs and they don't do WE or are booked up and I have absolutely no contacts. I do however (fingers crossed) have weekly hospital volunteering coming up soon, so that should be good.

Sounds all very interesting :biggrin: I just had my A&E experiences this half term as well! I thoroughly enjoyed it too :3 made me realize how much I would want to do this type of job, I want to be a doctor even more now!! I have done or do lots of volunteering but no GPs want me either :frown: planning to call 20 more on Monday....:colondollar:
Original post by blackraven
gosh i thought it was just me. i feel really awful about it as i'm back to school in 2 days. i had a completely unfulfilling week. i was so tired everyday. the only thing i did that was worthwhile (which is subjective anyway) was hand in a crb form. i'm going to try and make the best of tomorrow.

Hi5 Sister! Definitely not just you, it's appalllllllling. I am motivated too though thats the thing, just no energy goddammit!

I wish I could make the most of tomorrow - but tomorrow i'm going out with friends, so it's just not going to happen. Not gonna lie, I havent looked in my hwk planner, and i feel sick with dread what i'm going to see tomorrow :K:

Day 4 - X-ray and diagnostic imaging, saw MR and CT scans, X-rays and some ultrasounds. I got a tour of A&amp;E too, but it was very quiet, nothing really seemed to be going on at the time.

Well I hope your keeping a proper diary of everything your seeing and learning, will be useful for PS!

Sounds like excellently varied experience, I hope mine turns out to be similarly so. Keep checking the work experience and volunteering thread, there's loads of people in the same position, and if you post your concerns, its specifically for others to help you out :smile: Plus, it's always confidence-boosting to look at some now-medics and read their stories about the terrible times they've had getting volunteering work experience but still getting those offers :smile:
Reply 1057
Original post by Varsh05
My friend does psychology,and she says it's not too bad!
Are you dropping anything next year??

oh really, she must be good at essays then because the exam is basically remembering about 50 essay and a few will turn up in the exam.
i think psychology WILL be the one i will be dropping!! u?
Reply 1058

Day 4 - X-ray and diagnostic imaging, saw MR and CT scans, X-rays and some ultrasounds. I got a tour of A&amp;E too, but it was very quiet, nothing really seemed to be going on at the time.

wow! did you ring up the hospital? because every time I ring mine they are like call them then them and then I end up with nothing. Plus, I don't know why but I get soo scared of ringing people because half of the time I don't know what to say. You have to let me know your strategy. :::biggrin:
Reply 1059
is anyone applying to the UNIQ Oxford summer school? if so are you guys applying for medicine because there is only 6% success rate or biomedical where there's a higher % of getting in.