The Student Room Group

Students with Aspergers/HFA

What are your experiences of University?
Reply 1
Original post by rosiemaphone
What are your experiences of University?

Goddamn awful. :frown: I suggest you definitely make contact with the disability services and try everything they suggest, even if you don't really think you need it or don't understand why something would be beneficial. And talk to your tutors/lecturers/disability advisers as soon as something starts to worry you. It may not be easy to do, especially if you're embarrassed or think they can't do anything, but it's better to try than to let things get worse.
I have a quick question - When applying for DSA with aspergers, what evidence do you need? I have an SEN statement, I could get a doctors statement to say I have it. I don't think it counts as a specific learning disability does it? Does it count as as 'mental health' in the other category?
Reply 3
Original post by SilverArch
I have a quick question - When applying for DSA with aspergers, what evidence do you need? I have an SEN statement, I could get a doctors statement to say I have it. I don't think it counts as a specific learning disability does it? Does it count as as 'mental health' in the other category?

I would have said learning disability. But it's actually a developmental disorder. For learning disabilities, you need a educational psychiatrists' report from after the age of 16.
Reply 4
Very up and down. Socially and academically I've struggled a bit at times. Though at the moment socially things are alright. It's a good point to make contact with the disability services before you go but don't expect them to be that great really. You're a lot more "on your own" at university.
If you have any specific questions then you're welcome to PM me.
Original post by SilverArch

I'd like to know the answer to this too. What happens if you have depression, OCD, panic attacks and whatnot alongside Aspergers? How do they class the preceding?
Reply 6
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
I'd like to know the answer to this too. What happens if you have depression, OCD, panic attacks and whatnot alongside Aspergers? How do they class the preceding?

Did you ever find out in the end.

I have fibromyalgia with chronic fatigue symptoms, generalised anxiety disorder and AS
Original post by sosotalk
Did you ever find out in the end.

I have fibromyalgia with chronic fatigue symptoms, generalised anxiety disorder and AS

Sorry, no I didn't.
Reply 8
Sorry this is off topic but I thought it might be of interest to any other HFA/Aspergers people: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01gk4xc
I'm HFA and I related to a lot of it even though everyone in the programme was far more low functioning. The oldest kid in the programme is basically my little brother.
Original post by Craghyrax
Sorry this is off topic but I thought it might be of interest to any other HFA/Aspergers people: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01gk4xc
I'm HFA and I related to a lot of it even though everyone in the programme was far more low functioning. The oldest kid in the programme is basically my little brother.

Wow, really?
Wow, really?

As in, my brother is like that person, not as in my brother was in the programme :p:
As in, my brother is like that person, not as in my brother was in the programme :p:

Haha, how ironic of me to take it literally. :colondollar:
Haha, how ironic of me to take it literally. :colondollar:

You've diagnosed yourself :wink:
You've diagnosed yourself :wink:

:confused: Sorry, I don't quite understand. I have been given a formal diagnosis by the necessary professionals.

I have a feeling I might have taken that comment literally, again. :rolleyes:
:confused: Sorry, I don't quite understand. I have been given a formal diagnosis by the necessary professionals.

I have a feeling I might have taken that comment literally, again. :rolleyes:

I just meant that by taking my original comment so literally you made it obvious that you were autistic/aspergic :p:
I just meant that by taking my original comment so literally you made it obvious that you were autistic/aspergic :p:

Oh ok, I feel a bit silly now. :colondollar:
Oh ok, I feel a bit silly now. :colondollar:

:console:
lol

I have now been diagnosed, finally. No idea where I am on the spectrum. Should be getting a letter soon from the psychiatrist.

Quick Reply

Latest