The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
I really wanna be one of those Doctors that travels around developing countries or somewhere a natural disaster has occurred and treats those hurt ------- can you do that?:confused:
Original post by FuzzBuzz
wow! did you ring up the hospital? because every time I ring mine they are like call them then them and then I end up with nothing. Plus, I don't know why but I get soo scared of ringing people because half of the time I don't know what to say. You have to let me know your strategy. :::biggrin:

I'm also scared of ringing people, you're not alone! I much prefer talking to people face to face :colondollar: however just force yourself to ring like I did and you'll be happy you did! My NHS trust has a Work Experience Coordinator so I kept emailing and ringing her for months until I got something :redface:
is anyone applying to the UNIQ Oxford summer school? if so are you guys applying for medicine because there is only 6% success rate or biomedical where there's a higher % of getting in.

Hi guys I'm new to the thread :biggrin: I was on the old one... But then work took over :frown:

I applied this week for medicine and had biomedical sciences as my second option. I thought if I apply to biomed and get it, I'll always wonder if I could have got medicine if I applyed for that. It's worth a shot I think, we could end up being in the 6%!
Original post by IAmMclovin
Im yet to book it, but ill probe be doing it in june or late august, but ill be doing it in the southport centre, so wont be seeing you there :frown: :tongue:

Ah :frown: oh well! I picked the Southampton one cos it looks near to the beach :lol:
Original post by Last Chance
Hey guys :smile:

Just thought I'd post (first since the last thread, woo!) and reassure you all that I did not die in a horrible car crash aha.

What have ya'll been up to? :wink:

Will come back in a short while!

Hey, I'm sat at home right now dreading my results. :eek:
I really wanna be one of those Doctors that travels around developing countries or somewhere a natural disaster has occurred and treats those hurt ------- can you do that?:confused:

Yeah. I don't know much about it because I haven't researched it but obviously they need doctors who can do that. You could do your elective in a third world country when you go to med school and find out more that way? You'd also probably want to do your F1+2 years beforehand

oh really, she must be good at essays then because the exam is basically remembering about 50 essay and a few will turn up in the exam.
i think psychology WILL be the one i will be dropping!! u?

Which exam board/spec do you do? I do AQA Psychology B and I think it's quite straightforward. Just revise as you go along! When it comes to the 10 markers, then you remember the points you revised and just string them together in sentences! They're not marking your writing ability, they're marking your knowledge and evaluation skills

Original post by chiny94
Ah I see that makes total sense now :smile: both surgical and medical! That's pretty awesome and yeah I think I'm going to change after med school i mean it's very likely that I will anyway after experiencing lots of different branches of medicine :rolleyes: so do you know where you want to apply then?

Yeah :smile:

Um, not entirely sure yet, but I have it down to a 'short' list. Barts and the London, King's College London, Brighton and Sussex, Newcastle, Leeds, Southampton and maybe Sheffield (depending on my UKCAT). You?

Click me.

Yeah, you can do a short elective in medical school or a longer project once qualified and into specialty training or afterwards.

Can see why you'd want to do this, but remember it had it's downsides

1. Hardly anybody gets to do it
2. The impact you can have is often very marginal due to lack of equipment or funds.
3.Most organisations such as MSF use local medical personnel and UK doctors train them or advise
4. It's often traumatic and grueling work with little reward.
5. Doctors chosen are usually fluent in another language and have volunteering overseas experience
6. Very dangerous, http://www.msf.org.uk/South_Sudan_violence_20120103.news , in this doctors were attacked and clinics looted

This probs seems a little grim but it's important to be realistic about this kinda stuff.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1068
Original post by TaraBelle
Hi guys I'm new to the thread :biggrin: I was on the old one... But then work took over :frown:

I applied this week for medicine and had biomedical sciences as my second option. I thought if I apply to biomed and get it, I'll always wonder if I could have got medicine if I applyed for that. It's worth a shot I think, we could end up being in the 6%!

i think I am gonna do the same, apply for both :biggrin: but i still haven't started my personal statement :I
Reply 1069
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Which exam board/spec do you do? I do AQA Psychology B and I think it's quite straightforward. Just revise as you go along! When it comes to the 10 markers, then you remember the points you revised and just string them together in sentences! They're not marking your writing ability, they're marking your knowledge and evaluation skills

i do WJEC where all the questions are 12marks in the exam. WJEC is mostly remembering the facts and figures of which there is loads of... and yea i just cant wait to drop it :biggrin:
Reply 1070
Original post by Orinincandenza
Yeah, you can do a short elective in medical school or a longer project once qualified and into specialty training or afterwards.

Can see why you'd want to do this, but remember it had it's downsides

1. Hardly anybody gets to do it
2. The impact you can have is often very marginal due to lack of equipment or funds.
3.Most organisations such as MSF use local medical personnel and UK doctors train them or advise
4. It's often traumatic and grueling work with little reward.
5. Doctors chosen are usually fluent in another language and have volunteering overseas experience
6. Very dangerous, http://www.msf.org.uk/South_Sudan_violence_20120103.news , in this doctors were attacked and clinics looted

This probs seems a little grim but it's important to be realistic about this kinda stuff.

woww thanks for the link. I didn't expect this, but still i always wanted to like travel the world while helping other and after reading it i still would want to do it that's IF i get into med college which is looking unpromising atm.
woww thanks for the link. I didn't expect this, but still i always wanted to like travel the world while helping other and after reading it i still would want to do it that's IF i get into med college which is looking unpromising atm.

Ah chin up, everyone has a chance. I spent last summer in Cambodia assisting on a medical project with a British GP and Dutch nurse (convoluted story of how i got there but my mother is an English teacher worked with the NGO etc. but nevermind) and the really key thing i picked up from them was that every little bit of help you do is worth doing, regardless of circumstances.
Reply 1072
oh really, she must be good at essays then because the exam is basically remembering about 50 essay and a few will turn up in the exam.
i think psychology WILL be the one i will be dropping!! u?

I think she is lol! :h:
I'm gonna be dropping Maths!
It's so hard,plus my fourth subject is French and since I'm a French Native speaker,this should be an easy A* for me!
Or atleast an A lol! :biggrin:
Reply 1073
DarkAndTwisty

Yeah :smile:

Um, not entirely sure yet, but I have it down to a 'short' list. Barts and the London, King's College London, Brighton and Sussex, Newcastle, Leeds, Southampton and maybe Sheffield (depending on my UKCAT). You?

I love Barts as well! I think I shall deffo apply to BATL and hmm well I have 'short list' on my mind as well :biggrin: maybe Cambridge depending on my UMS points! UCL, St. George's, Manchester, Keele and King's college. Sheffield unlikely for me unless I do exceptionally well in my UKCAT :tongue: I just love london so much :') gahhhh I have psychology test tomorrow and I am not ready :/ lol
Reply 1074
Original post by Varsh05
I think she is lol! :h:
I'm gonna be dropping Maths!
It's so hard,plus my fourth subject is French and since I'm a French Native speaker,this should be an easy A* for me!
Or atleast an A lol! :biggrin:

awhh good luck in French! I loved it for GCSE until it came to the listening exam which pulled my grade down to a shameful B. :frown:
right now I am loving MATHSSSSSSS :biggrin:DD
Reply 1075
did any of you had to get your criminal record checked before volunteering at a nursing home??:rolleyes:
Reply 1076
awhh good luck in French! I loved it for GCSE until it came to the listening exam which pulled my grade down to a shameful B. :frown:

not shameful at all, stop exaggerrating :rolleyes:
Reply 1077
Original post by erniiee
Hey, I'm sat at home right now dreading my results. :eek:

when are those by the way? is it march? april?
Reply 1078
Original post by Pride
when are those by the way? is it march? april?

March 8th :redface:
Reply 1079

Haha thanks lol! :smile:
What exam board are you doing for Maths?? >.<