The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gallium
i did a little bit of parkour when i was younger....plus if i wasn't out of it i would have landed fine. ideally would have done this: 5x3 squat 1x10 squat 3x5/6 ohp 1x10 ohp 3 sets cgbp 5-8 sets of rows(any variation) DIPS/CURLS GHRS 3 sets. my hammies are quite weak and read something from jim wendler saying...that you can't get strong hammies from just fixing your squat form if you have a imbalance.

STill. That's like polevault record height to fall from and they fall onto giant mats.... Unless you have made parkour skills.
That's like higher than a second storey window...

Also, What weight was the squatting/OHP'ing at? Have you starting posting in your blog again yet?
Original post by MHorman
STill. That's like polevault record height to fall from and they fall onto giant mats.... Unless you have made parkour skills.
That's like higher than a second storey window...

Also, What weight was the squatting/OHP'ing at? Have you starting posting in your blog again yet?

bridge is 6 meters i hanged at the bottom and jumped so probs like 5 foot never the less still dangerous lol.

umm squats did like 120 the bar was supposed to be 25kg thats what i was told(trained at a different gym today) ohp i failed hard on ;(, did 55 was going for 5x5 and got like 4,4,3,3,3

i got exams all next week so week off i reckon if not i'm go gym do bare minimum and leave...will start updating blog soon!.
I don't always eat 1000 calories in 10 minutes. But when I do, I make sure it's M&M chocolate peanuts.

Finally got a video up...from a few weeks back. just noticed the back rounding.... i usually don't try get extra reps was stupid but yeah....**** happens.

got it to the knees should have been locked out ;(

any critique will be appreciated.... must cut mop lol
Original post by Gallium

Finally got a video up...from a few weeks back. just noticed the back rounding.... i usually don't try get extra reps was stupid but yeah....**** happens.

got it to the knees should have been locked out ;(

any critique will be appreciated.... must cut mop lol

Your hair was very distracting on the negatives :tongue:
Get your hips lower and chest up...then drive through more with legs and hips.
Original post by McHumpy92
Get your hips lower and chest up...then drive through more with legs and hips.

thats what i used to do and then someone was like "your deadlifts like a squat" get the slack out the bar and pull from there etc etc.

will do what you said and try get a recording, as my forms usually decent.
Reply 8407
Original post by CB5
Miscers really are quite delusional, annoying and idiotic at times. At others they are funny as fck, just a bit of an imbalance at times!

Lool @ the misc trying to create a secret society- 30 page thread in a night, full of serious ideas.
Gallium your form is very good - much better than I expected - and I agree you don't squat up a deadlift, it's a pull. I think that your back is slightly weak. Also, have you tried a narrower stance?
Reply 8409
Original post by Gallium
bridge is 6 meters i hanged at the bottom and jumped so probs like 5 foot never the less still dangerous lol.

umm squats did like 120 the bar was supposed to be 25kg thats what i was told(trained at a different gym today) ohp i failed hard on ;(, did 55 was going for 5x5 and got like 4,4,3,3,3

i got exams all next week so week off i reckon if not i'm go gym do bare minimum and leave...will start updating blog soon!.

first time squatting heavy for a long while

did 140 for a few sets of 3, and 150 for 1 - all pretty easy, deep and without belt :smile: something to build on now
Original post by Smack
Gallium your form is very good - much better than I expected - and I agree you don't squat up a deadlift, it's a pull. I think that your back is slightly weak. Also, have you tried a narrower stance?

i have pretty bad anterior pelvic tilt.....that may be the cause , i used to deadlfit a little bit more narrow then i do now, but by the recommendation of matt i did that 'jump in the air and where you land you should pull from' thing....also that video was the first time i consciously tried getting my shoulders over the bar as much as possible, also i have weak hamstrings i know that for sure....been lazy with hitting them directly with ghrs and stuff....gonna religiously do them and reverse hypers.

edit: smack! the problem is weak core for sure....just realized it my lower back may be strong but core weakness puts my back in a vulnerable position. anyone feel free to recommend me a 'core' workout.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Gallium
thats what i used to do and then someone was like "your deadlifts like a squat" get the slack out the bar and pull from there etc etc.

will do what you said and try get a recording, as my forms usually decent.

Yeah admittedly I do it more like Olympic lifters due to getting more glute activation and hip drive to help with powercleans and sprinting.
nice bit of trivia

the powerlifting comp pete and I were at last weekend, there was a guy doing the bench only. Can't remember his name. Anyway, I said to my mate 'he's strong bla bla ' - my mate told me that he used to be a big taekwondo fighter , in the olympics. Back when Chuck Norris used to compete in martial arts (before his acting career), this guy who was benching was one of only about 5 men who beat him.

That's something awesome to say, 'I beat chuck norris in a fight'
Whats wrong with rounding back during deadlifts? I've been doing mine roundback for ages, including lighter attempts, and I get less doms and soreness and generally they feel very good.
Yes. There's an old-school deadlifter who got 700-800lbs raw and he said he found it a lot better and safer to use a very rounded back.

I don't know if he got lucky with no injuries but still.
Original post by Smack

How come both Magnusson and Koklyaev start the deadlift with thier hips low if it's not good form?
Original post by The Question
How come both Magnusson and Koklyaev start the deadlift with thier hips low if it's not good form?

Koklyaev is a weightlifter and Benni does not start with his hips low.
It's all up to what you feel is better.

Slowly you'll get into a groove. Some start very low, others don't. Either way, they pull huge numbers so as you can see, both types can work.
Reply 8419
Having to get a first in Law to stand a decent chance of a training contract = all work and no play Mirin?

On a first so far in second year, but only have time for gym and nothing else.

I am finding the free movement of goods topic in EU law dry as hell and that is making it difficult to command a strong understanding of the area, i want to form an opinion but i am just not engaged in the material. I seem to remember Commandant here referring to it as the joint worst module in the course alongside equity. Care to share any words of wisdom from your hindsight?

Latest