The Student Room Group

Leeds College Of Art interview.

I've managed to get an interview with LCA and after 3 unsuccessfulls and what felt like an awful interview with Nottigham Trent, I don't want to take my chances. I need advice and does any one know what 'task' they send you off to do? In the letter it said they give you a task to complete before the inerview. I know I have an impressive portfolio, it's just the interview i'm worried about and how they go about it, do they look at your portfolio infront of you?
In Nottingham Trent, they asked me ridiculous questions such as what can future graphic designs do to aid future technology? What. So is there unnesscerry questions they ask?
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

i had an interview for the foundation course and it threw me off a bit as they didn't go through my portfolio with me (but looked at it beforehand), didn't talk about my actual work and asked me odd questions to do with current affairs and just plain random ones, like what would be the last thing i did before the world ends. :s-smilie: i'm still waiting to hear back from them, and have no idea what to expect! i'm assuming you're applying at degree level so it might be different, but i hope this helps anyway.
Thanks, that really did. I can't believe they asked you what you'd do if the world ended.
Original post by StephanieKrystinaH
Thanks, that really did. I can't believe they asked you what you'd do if the world ended.

haha i know, i was so caught off guard! but i guess questions like that can't affect your chances too much as they're completely unrelated.
Reply 4
Original post by StephanieKrystinaH
I've managed to get an interview with LCA and after 3 unsuccessfulls and what felt like an awful interview with Nottigham Trent, I don't want to take my chances. I need advice and does any one know what 'task' they send you off to do? In the letter it said they give you a task to complete before the inerview. I know I have an impressive portfolio, it's just the interview i'm worried about and how they go about it, do they look at your portfolio infront of you?
In Nottingham Trent, they asked me ridiculous questions such as what can future graphic designs do to aid future technology? What. So is there unnesscerry questions they ask?
Thanks.

I have this interview too! Mines on the 5th April, whens yours?
Name Dominique
current education Foundation Diploma
ucas choices Slade, CSM, Goldsmiths, Leeds uni, Leeds college of art
ucas updates (i.e eportfolio,interview) Portfolio inspection (Feb 9th) and rejection from Slade, interview with CSM (January 20th), interview with Goldsmiths (19th March), Leeds Uni (7th March) and haven't heard back from Leeds College yet..
area of interest(2D,3D ext...) XD
out of 10 how excited are you 7 (final project has started and i want to die)
Anything else you want to add
Reply 6
Original post by dominiquewhite
Name Dominique
current education Foundation Diploma
ucas choices Slade, CSM, Goldsmiths, Leeds uni, Leeds college of art
ucas updates (i.e eportfolio,interview) Portfolio inspection (Feb 9th) and rejection from Slade, interview with CSM (January 20th), interview with Goldsmiths (19th March), Leeds Uni (7th March) and haven't heard back from Leeds College yet..
area of interest(2D,3D ext...) XD
out of 10 how excited are you 7 (final project has started and i want to die)
Anything else you want to add

BAFA or BAFAHA for Goldsmiths?
Original post by Soares
BAFA or BAFAHA for Goldsmiths?

u are sooo on it ehehehe
Reply 8
Original post by kaylafrances
u are sooo on it ehehehe

LOL I am stalker no. 1!

I will know everything before I even do my own interview :rolleyes:
Reply 9
I had an interview and got an offer.
They look at your portfolios without you, and don't ask you about them, which is scary. Just got us to ask them three questions and answer some odd ones, but it was great and they were really lovely, quick to respond too.
Anyone looked at accommodation?
Reply 10
Original post by LauraCinn
I had an interview and got an offer.
They look at your portfolios without you, and don't ask you about them, which is scary. Just got us to ask them three questions and answer some odd ones, but it was great and they were really lovely, quick to respond too.
Anyone looked at accommodation?

What course? Congratulations by the way :biggrin:
Reply 11
Got an interview on the 4th April. Did anyone else do that small project they asked for before being asked for an interview?
Reply 12
Original post by Jarvxs
Got an interview on the 4th April. Did anyone else do that small project they asked for before being asked for an interview?

Well done (:

Is the project your on about the four symbol one, where you had to pick one and create four postcards?
Reply 13
Original post by Nelson94
Well done (:

Is the project your on about the four symbol one, where you had to pick one and create four postcards?

No, I had to go out and take some photos of my local area and develop some ideas (I'm doing fashion design)
Reply 14
Original post by Jarvxs
No, I had to go out and take some photos of my local area and develop some ideas (I'm doing fashion design)

Oh right (: Good luck with your interview
Reply 15
Thanksssss! :^_^:
Reply 16
Did any of you look at the accommodation while you were there? Im regretting not looking a Liberty Park!
Original post by beccafairy
i had an interview for the foundation course and it threw me off a bit as they didn't go through my portfolio with me (but looked at it beforehand), didn't talk about my actual work and asked me odd questions to do with current affairs and just plain random ones, like what would be the last thing i did before the world ends. :s-smilie: i'm still waiting to hear back from them, and have no idea what to expect! i'm assuming you're applying at degree level so it might be different, but i hope this helps anyway.

when you say current affairs, do you mean design affairs or just general news?

also, did you move to leeds to do a foundation course? i might do the same but i'm worried about financing/accomadation/living costs etc.
Original post by JacobKnowles
when you say current affairs, do you mean design affairs or just general news?

also, did you move to leeds to do a foundation course? i might do the same but i'm worried about financing/accomadation/living costs etc.

actual current affairs, like politics. :confused: i know other people that didn't get asked anything like that though, pretty weird!
i ended up going to camberwell, but yes, moved away from home. you need to be very financially prepared as it'll cost you thousands to do your foundation away from home - as for me my grandparents had both passed away and we were able to sell their property, which is how i'm able to afford it. if you don't have money saved away it would be very difficult! though if your household income is below £25k you could be entitled to bursaries - my flatmate got two bursaries of £2,000 which really helped her.
Original post by beccafairy
actual current affairs, like politics. :confused: i know other people that didn't get asked anything like that though, pretty weird!
i ended up going to camberwell, but yes, moved away from home. you need to be very financially prepared as it'll cost you thousands to do your foundation away from home - as for me my grandparents had both passed away and we were able to sell their property, which is how i'm able to afford it. if you don't have money saved away it would be very difficult! though if your household income is below £25k you could be entitled to bursaries - my flatmate got two bursaries of £2,000 which really helped her.

don't think i'd get any such bursaries, i'm applying for a degree course there anyway, thanks though

Quick Reply

Latest