The Student Room Group

Britain loves Hitler

If someone is really hated by everyone you would think that his name would be forgotten about and his memory cast into the shadows a la damnatio memoriae. But not so with Hitler. He is easily up there with Jesus and Caesar and Shakspeare as a candidate for the most famous person who has ever lived. Children across the country are taught Hitler Studies (GCSE history) He even has his own damn TV channel! (the History channel) I remember once my mum pointed out to my history teacher that on the front cover of the history textbook Martin Luther King was tucked away in the corner and Hitler took center stage with a massive picture dwarfing all the others. Compare Stalin who was arguably just as evil and even more destructive who is nowhere near as well known or talked about as Hitler. I have a theory that the US and Britain are secretly nostalgic about the whole "Hitler period" as it made life interesting and brought their respective countries together in a time of crisis to show their strength. Obviously I'm not saying Britain is glad the Holocaust happened or anything like that, but that they secretly liked the whole "banding together to overcome a big mean adversary" thing.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hitler was educated in Britain, and some believe that he worked as a secret agent under the guidance of the Tavistock Institute. The royal family also liked Hitler very much.
Reply 2
Original post by Martyn*
Hitler was educated in Britain, and some believe that he worked as a secret agent under the guidance of the Tavistock Institute. The royal family also liked Hitler very much.

Idiots. Idiots believe that.

IT WAS THE LIZARD PEOPLE.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Wave
If someone is really hated by everyone you would think that his name would be forgotten about and his memory cast into the shadows a la damnatio memoriae.

History should never be forgotten, especially not the cruel parts.
Reply 4
Original post by Norton1
Idiots. Idiots believe that.

IT WAS THE LIZARD PEOPLE.

head-in-sand.jpg
Britain does not love Hitler. Sorry.
Reply 6
Original post by Martyn*
head-in-sand.jpg

Is that you preparing to be penetrated by historical accuracy?
Reply 7
Original post by Wave
If someone is really hated by everyone you would think that his name would be forgotten about and his memory cast into the shadows a la damnatio memoriae. But not so with Hitler. He is easily up there with Jesus and Caesar and Shakspeare as a candidate for the most famous person who has ever lived. Children across the country are taught Hitler Studies (GCSE history) He even has his own damn TV channel! (the History channel) I remember once my mum pointed out to my history teacher that on the front cover of the history textbook Martin Luther King was tucked away in the corner and Hitler took center stage with a massive picture dwarfing all the others. Compare Stalin who was arguably just as evil and even more destructive who is nowhere near as well known or talked about as Hitler. I have a theory that the US and Britain are secretly nostalgic about the whole "Hitler period" as it made life interesting and brought their respective countries together in a time of crisis to show their strength. Obviously I'm not saying Britain is glad the Holocaust happened or anything like that, but that they secretly liked the whole "banding together to overcome a big mean adversary" thing.

History is written by the victors. The only reason why Stalin isn't as widely hated as Hitler is is because he didn't lose the war..
Quite amusing.
We remember him so much because he is a particularly bad example of someone who did something terrible, and who we (we being the joined forces of several countries) stopped from continuing to do so eventually. Not only does it remind us as a country of what terrible things can be done by one person with a bad ideology and some scapegoats, but it also is a nice expample of us being involved in winning against them (a lovely romantic notion that people like to feel part of, even though they weren't alive then).
Reply 9
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Quite amusing.
We remember him so much because he is a particularly bad example of someone who did something terrible, and who we (we being the joined forces of several countries) stopped from continuing to do so eventually. Not only does it remind us as a country of what terrible things can be done by one person with a bad ideology and some scapegoats, but it also is a nice expample of us being involved in winning against them (a lovely romantic notion that people like to feel part of, even though they weren't alive then).

It's heartening to know that it only took 73,000,000 deaths to stop Hitler.

Very efficient.
Original post by Infallible
It's heartening to know that it only took 73,000,000 deaths to stop Hitler.

Very efficient.

I don't recall saying that it was effitient in any way, I was just clarifying the reasons that he is remembered (which do not include us "loving" him).
Reply 11
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I don't recall saying that it was effitient in any way, I was just clarifying the reasons that he is remembered (which do not include us "loving" him).

No, but you were celebrating that 'you' stopped him. I wouldn't really call 73,000,000:1 'stopping' him, would you? The efficient comment was my own.
Reply 12
Fascinated by him? Yes I'll give you that
Love him? Erm...he is one of if not the most hated man in our society, we certainly don't love him
Oswald Mosley and his British Union of fascists loved Hitler. However nearly everyone else in the country hated him, by the time the war started BUF started to loose members and the party didn't exist by 1940...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Hitler was a bit of an arse, but that house that looked like him was pretty cool:smile:
Is this news and current affairs?

Obsession with hitler is morbid curiosity, firstly, what he accomplished was astonishing, secondly, this bizarre obsession with aryan supremacy and hatred of Jews, finally, the patriotism as Britain defeated him. (I'm Irish, not proud of neutrality during the war, but admire how Britain stuck up for Europe, they deserve all the credit, America just happened to show up to save them)
Original post by Martyn*

You know you've been on TSR too long when you're not shocked by anything Martyn says.
Reply 17
I believe that the OP means to suggest that Britain is fascinated by Hitler, rather than actually liking him personally. Please keep all posts constructive and on topic. :yy:
Reply 18
We're fascinated by Hitler's Germany in the same way people slow down to look at car crashes on the side of the road :/ But then it is a rather monumental event in modern european history, and dominates the education system because the events surrounding Hitler's rise and fall in power are open to interpretation (structuralist, intentionalist, composite historian views etc) and there's so much material available, so it's useful for teaching history in that way.

I'll agree though, Hitler's Germany is probably too prevalent in school history, after studying the same topics just in varying detail from year 10 to year 13 -_- History students do need a bit of variety and a more global view of history
The bastard will be forever remembered (for the worst reasons) because he was a very singular person (for the wrong reasons) and did horrific things (for the wrong reasons).

A guy that can feel pleasure in kiling, chasing and torturing so many people is someone no one can be indiferent to. Everytime I remember what he and his scum did I get so pissed... :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending